Multi-entry ED visa - is a exit/entry of Thailand not enough for obtaining another 90 days?

I have 1 year multi-entry ED visa (expiring in December 2014). On 3 April I will have stayed in Thailand 90 days and I have therefore booked a holiday to Vietnam leaving 3 April and returning 7 April. My understanding of "the rules" is that upon return to Bangkok airport I will receive a stamp in my passport for another 90 days0 days - as simple as that - no (other) paperwork required.

However, the secretary of the language school (who knows that I have a multi-entry visa expiring on 3 April) gave a some documents the other day and told me that I have to go to Immigration in Jomtien (with the documents) in order to receive a stamp in my passport for another 90 days. I am pretty convinced that this is not necessary as I should get 90 days just by leaving and returning to Thailand, but as the secretary of the school must have seen many cases similar to mine (no special case - just standard multi-entry visa) - I got a bit nervous and therefore I better ask the experts here on this forum.

I'm confused...at first you say the visa expires in December and then you say 3 April. Which is it...is 3 April a 90-entry expiry? Kinda sounds like to me she wants you to get a reentry permit but should not be necessary if in fact your visa is good till December.

Call me confused!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm confused...at first you say the visa expires in December and then you say 3 April. Which is it...is 3 April a 90-entry expiry? Kinda sounds like to me she wants you to get a reentry permit but should not be necessary if in fact your visa is good till December.

Call me confused!

Try reading the OP's post again !

Read it slowly and you will note it makes sense !

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Call me confused!

need to put on reading glasses I think.?

I think you need to have a re-entry permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

wow!! another one that need to read the post again! Try reading the part where he say Multi-entry, which means he can come and go Multiple times.

I think what the school is trying to tell you is that you don't need to leave the country if you don't wish to receive your 90 days,

I am also on a ED Visa however it is a single entry one and I do not leave, my passport goes to Immi every 90 days to be stamped for the next 90

I can't see any difference between a single or multi entry regarding Immi stamping it, however more enlightened board members may know more than me on that

If you do leave yes you will receive 90 days upon return with no need to get a re entry permit beforehand, multi entry allows you to come and go as many times as you please

I think you need to have a re-entry permit.

wow!! another one that need to read the post again! Try reading the part where he say Multi-entry, which means he can come and go Multiple times.

OP said multi-entry will expire on 3 April. OP will return on 7 April. Do you think his/her multi-entry is still applicable on 7 April?

Just asking. ^_^

Edited by Shancloudy

Call me confused!

I saw the multi-entry stuff the first go around, what I don't understand is his saying the visa expires in December and then later says it expires on the 3rd of April. Can you explain that inconsistency? Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Call me confused!

I saw the multi-entry stuff the first go around, what I don't understand is his saying the visa expires in December and then later says it expires on the 3rd of April. Can you explain that inconsistency?

He says the visa expires DEC 2014!

He says NOTHING about the visa "expiring" in April !

The OP says he has a muti- entry visa !

A multi - entry visa allows multiple entries,each of which will allow a stay not exceeding 90 days for as long as the visa is valid.

The OP does not need to go to immigration !

There is NO inconsistency just a simple typo !

Edited by thepool
  • Like 1

I think that the OP means that his initial ninety-day period of stay will end on April 3 therefore he either needs to leave the country on that day and re-enter for another ninety-day period of stay or (I'm not sure if this is possible) get immigration to give him another ninety day period without leaving the country. Perhaps he should contact immigration to see if he can receive a second ninety-day period without leaving the country. Probably UbonJoe knows if this is possible.

Oh ok.

Anyway in my passport I have one year working visa stamp then in the next page I have a multiple re-entry permit. Visa is different to re- entry permit.

Ahhhhhh maybe student visa isn't the same to working visa. I don't want to think anymore better to sleep now. Ha ha.

Edited by Shancloudy

Oh ok.

Anyway in my passport I have one year working visa stamp then in the next page I have a multiple re-entry permit. Visa is different to re- entry permit.

Ahhhhhh maybe student visa isn't the same to working visa. I don't want to think anymore better to sleep now. Ha ha.

what is a working visa stamp ????? post photo

Edited by MikeandDow

Oh ok.

It's a Non-immigrant B visa but my friends and I called it working visa because we have a work permit. ^_^

Edited by Shancloudy

Oh ok.

It's a Non B visa but my friends and I called it working visa because we have a work permit. happy.png

now it makes sense, you need to use the correct terminology for people to understand.

• Like 1

With a valid multiple non-Ed visa you do not need any paperwork or visit immigration. Just leave and re-enter for another 90 days.

+1 ? Some school administrators does not know sometimes the visa rules , i did this ED & year multiple 3 years ago , not went even 1 time to immigration , only 90 days border runs , i would think the school desk administrators by now they should knowing this type ED visa alreadyrolleyes.gif

I have done the Ed visa. The "one year visa" is actually in three parts (for me it was...and I got it only 9 months ago so, should be accurate)

When I got my visa in Vientienne, it was good for 90 days. After that, I went to immigration with my paperwork from the school and got my next 90 days. After that 90 days was up, back to immigration again with my paperwork and then I get 180 days.

Re-entry permit just continued the visa I was already on, it didn't reset it. so, if you're on that first 90 day, leave and come back on a re-entry permit, I suspect you're still on the same 90 day visa. If your visa is actually for a full year (check the expiration stamp) then you can go and come back and that saves you the trip to immigration for the "90 day report", which is not the same as a 90 day visa stamp.

The reason they do these 90 day increments is to; a) make money because it'll cost you 1900 baht a visit and B) ensure people are actually attending school (sort of).

I have done the Ed visa. The "one year visa" is actually in three parts (for me it was...and I got it only 9 months ago so, should be accurate)

When I got my visa in Vientienne, it was good for 90 days. After that, I went to immigration with my paperwork from the school and got my next 90 days. After that 90 days was up, back to immigration again with my paperwork and then I get 180 days.

Re-entry permit just continued the visa I was already on, it didn't reset it. so, if you're on that first 90 day, leave and come back on a re-entry permit, I suspect you're still on the same 90 day visa. If your visa is actually for a full year (check the expiration stamp) then you can go and come back and that saves you the trip to immigration for the "90 day report", which is not the same as a 90 day visa stamp.

The reason they do these 90 day increments is to; a) make money because it'll cost you 1900 baht a visit and cool.png ensure people are actually attending school (sort of).

The discussion is about having a multiple entry non-ed visa from an embassy or consulate not extensions of stay from immigration.

You are getting extensions of stay not visas and do need a re-entry permit if you leave the country.

The reason they do these 90 day increments is to; a) make money because it'll cost you 1900 baht a visit and cool.png ensure people are actually attending school (sort of).

What was obtained from Vientienne was a 90 day visa ( NOT a one year visa and a one year multi entry ED visa would be impossible to obtain in Asia AFAIK)

The first visit to immigration was to request an "extension of stay" which was granted.

The "visa" was then dead, expired and no longer valid for use.

A re-entry permit is only valid for the same length of time as the "extension of stay. There is no need to obtain a re-entry permit unless travel outside Thailand is undertaken during the life of the "extension" of stay

Edited by thepool

Call me confused!

I saw the multi-entry stuff the first go around, what I don't understand is his saying the visa expires in December and then later says it expires on the 3rd of April. Can you explain that inconsistency?

He says the visa expires DEC 2014!

He says NOTHING about the visa "expiring" in April !

The OP says he has a muti- entry visa !

A multi - entry visa allows multiple entries,each of which will allow a stay not exceeding 90 days for as long as the visa is valid.

The OP does not need to go to immigration !

There is NO inconsistency just a simple typo !

Absolutely correct.

Multiple entry visa for one year.

He has to leave the country every 90 days

and will get another 90 days as long the visa is valid