Where's the cooking oil darling?.......

BKK Blues Brother

I know many many villages where none of the little family stores sell any ice cream. I happen to like ice cream, and often buy a round for the swarming rugrats so that's one of the first things I find out when coming to a new village.

Most keep their meat and sell their cold drinks out of those big plastic ice chests, truck comes around once a day selling bags of crushed ice.

They may have a consumer fridge, but that doesn't hold enough, and for sure it's not worth their while investing in the big commercial ones.

Doesn't mean they can't afford it - they might have millions of baht in gold stashed away - just that the goods profile of their market and the margins they're operating at, doesn't justify the investment plus running costs.

And yes 90% of the "normal" fridges are in the houses paid for by farang, but some places that's getting to be almost every few hundred meters.

Edited by wym

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know many many villages where none of the little family stores sell any ice cream. I happen to like ice cream, and often buy a round for the swarming rugrats so that's one of the first things I find out when coming to a new village.

Most keep their meat and sell their cold drinks out of those big plastic ice chests, truck comes around once a day selling bags of crushed ice.

They may have a consumer fridge, but that doesn't hold enough, and for sure it's not worth their while investing in the big commercial ones.

Doesn't mean they can't afford it - they might have millions of baht in gold stashed away - just that the goods profile of their market and the margins they're operating at, doesn't justify the investment plus running costs.

And yes 90% of the "normal" fridges are in the houses paid for by farang, but some places that's getting to be almost every few hundred meters.

Time to actually come to Thailand. 95% households in Thailand have refrigerators. Some of us do live here you know.

Time to actually come to Thailand. 95% households in Thailand have refrigerators. Some of us do live here you know.

I was specifically talking about the poor upcountry farming villages, obviously a very different Thailand than the one you inhabit. I suppose next you'll say the majority of Thai households have a car and air conditioning too?

You do realize that half the population are still poor rural farmers, the whole household might see maybe B5-7,000 a month on average?

Even in the city, I know literally hundreds of low-end neighborhoods and apartment buildings (blocks of one-room flats) where hardly anyone has a fridge at all, most can't afford a scooter, and they certainly buy that before a fridge.

You are living in a bubble my friend.

Like the seven blind men describing the elephant, we move in different circles and experience different realities.

elephant-parable.jpg

• Like 1

I live up in Back of Beyond country, not the one horse town part of Isaan, but I do live in a village. Now my 'unofficial' survey would suggest that the majority do have a fridge, old decrepit maybe, but a fridge all the same, freezers, well I suspect I am in an extreme minority there.

I was specifically talking about the poor upcountry farming villages, obviously a very different Thailand than the one you inhabit. I suppose next you'll say the majority of Thai households have a car and air conditioning too?

You do realize that half the population are still poor rural farmers, the whole household might see maybe B5-7,000 a month on average?

Even in the city, I know literally hundreds of low-end neighborhoods and apartment buildings (blocks of one-room flats) where hardly anyone has a fridge at all, most can't afford a scooter, and they certainly buy that before a fridge.

Like the seven blind men describing the elephant, we move in different circles and experience different realities.

In Bangkok there is more than one refrigerator per person. Any one who lives up country will tell you as did the above poster that everyone has a fridge. I don't know what else to say. I live in Thailand. When I got here in 1968 few had refrigerators; now everyone has a refrigerator. When I got here in 1968 fridges cost 20,000 baht, 25 baht to the dollar (as I remember). Now a used fridge costs 2,000 baht.

At least we are getting to your area of expertise; Bangkok slums. BTW there are more than 3000 7/11's in Bangkok next to those slums and all 7/11's have ice cream.

Edited by thailiketoo

How Many Times Can I Reuse Fry Oil?

Good News A: You don't have to throw out used oil. Often you can reuse it many, many times!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/09/ask-the-food-lab-how-many-times-can-i-reuse-fry-oil.html

Dip the corner or a piece of white bread (without crust) into the hot oil and smell it. If it smells burnt and looks too dark throw the oil away.

In Bangkok there is more than one refrigerator per person. Any one who lives up country will tell you as did the above poster that everyone has a fridge.

Actually the above poster talked about "majority" and of course that was in his village, which IMO must be higher-income, I was specifically talking about low-income genuinely rural areas.

In my (ex)in-laws village, it is definitely less than half. Only three households out of the twenty on their road have cars. Not counting scooters, not counting vehicles owned by those that have moved away to work but actually parked there year-round.

And that statistic - say over 10 million fridges just in Bangkok? I'd love to see a source for that. . .

At least we are getting to your area of expertise; Bangkok slums. BTW there are more than 3000 7/11's in Bangkok next to those slums and all 7/11's have ice cream.

Yes obviously, but the kids living there can't afford to be buying enough ice cream to be getting fat off it.

You do realize that most of the Bangkok population would live in circumstances you would call a slum? Sure they may not be "registered" there, actually tied to their "real home" back upcountry, but that can go on for decades, many don't get to return until they've finished their working life, other than once a year at Songkran.

And finally you seem to think there is something wrong with associating with that sort of person? Really?

It's one per household you idjit, not per person.

Counting all owned by commercial establishments OK I'll buy it.

And "have access to" sure - I lived for the first few years here without one.

But my landlady downstairs had one, let me keep some milk for my tea in it.

Every household in my village has a fridge..They all do.

What this has to do with the amount of cooking oil the posters wife uses is another question?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nothing, it's called a tangent.

I've never said what I'm talking about applies to all or even most "villages", obviously some are wealthier than others.

Here's another indicator - I imagine few of yours have dirt floors, maybe some are even tiled? Few are just made of second-hand tin sheets, have cinderblocks or wooden walls instead? Have windows that close up tight maybe even screens? Running water on the block as opposed to the daughters having to trundle bottles hundreds of yards to collect it?

If so, not the same sort of place I'm talking about.

Edited by wym

Nothing, it's called a tangent.

I've never said what I'm talking about applies to all or even most "villages", obviously some are wealthier than others.

Here's another indicator - I imagine few of yours have dirt floors, maybe some are even tiled? Few are just made of second-hand tin sheets, have cinderblocks or wooden walls instead? Have windows that close up tight maybe even screens? Running water on the block as opposed to the daughters having to trundle bottles hundreds of yards to collect it?

If so, not the same sort of place I'm talking about.

My village is a mix of rich and poor. Some houses made from platting leaves and local trees to houses of bricks and mortar.

Some have dirt floors, some concrete and some tiled. Everyone has a fridge though and a tv.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Any households where they've bought the fridge but still have to send the girls out to collect the washing water in bottles?

That IMO would be a weird order of priorities. . .

Obviously the TV comes absolutely first 8-)