How long did it take to communicate effectively with your Thai partner?

BKK Blues Brother

if you get an educated wife , that had an english major or minor, communication is 100% from day one ... mine even learned my 2 home countries national languages on top if it

Is she Thai/Chinese?

Why would you care? Chinese people can learn languages too.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you get an educated wife , that had an english major or minor, communication is 100% from day one ... mine even learned my 2 home countries national languages on top if it

Is she Thai/Chinese?

Or perhaps an alien.......................whistling.gif .....................laugh.png

Is she Thai/Chinese?

Because I'm doing a survey, OK with you?

Is she Thai/Chinese?

Why? I'll tell you if it is OK if you have a good reason. (You did ask if it was OK with me.)

Edited by thailiketoo

Is she Thai/Chinese?

Why? I'll tell you if it is OK if you have a good reason.

Why not go back to fighting with Crab about dogs and try to develop a sense of humor in the process!

Why not go back to fighting with Crab about dogs and try to develop a sense of humor in the process!

You wrote, "Because I'm doing a survey, OK with you?"

If you didn't want to know why did you ask?

You wrote, "Because I'm doing a survey, OK with you?"

If you didn't want to know why did you ask?

Because it's humor, satire, get it! Now go find somebody else to fight with, I'm not interested.

• Like 1

Is she Thai/Chinese?

yes + rich parents :)

how did you know ?

• Like 1

Is she Thai/Chinese?

yes + rich parents smile.png

how did you know ?

And she's a Chula graduate?

My wife and I met in the United States. She spoke broken English when we met. I didn’t speak a word of Thai, had never gone with a Thai woman before, had never been to Thailand, or even thought of going there.

She is a persistent, sneaky, greedy little devil, and picked my brain incessantly and improved her English dramatically all the while. I didn't bother to learn Thai very well. I learned only little words and phrases that were fun and playful to use when toying with her, and that's about it. And, what’s more, she could have cared less about teaching me any Thai, or if I learned any.

The thought never occurred to me that we would be living in Thailand together one day.

Well, here we are. And the little bit of Thai I do speak, I speak extremely well. No one is impressed with my Thai vocabulary, but they are quite impressed with my pronunciation. I am a slow learner and ask a lot of questions. I obsess over something until I get it better than anyone. I am thorough to the hilt, and drive teachers and myself to madness over it. I can't help myself, and wouldn't even if I could. I enjoy being thorough. Very thorough.

Thai is not an easy language to learn to begin with. I am not surprised anymore at all the non-Thai speaking people who don't learn the language, because it is such a frustrated mess to learn. Knowing that I am a slow (but, to my credit, thorough) learner, I thought it was just me who was having problems picking it up. When I finally came to Thailand, I learned that is just not the case. All that being said... To answer your questions...

My opinion of my partner has not changed. She is still the same ol' jerk she's always been. She's a brat. But she is a good friend to me, and that is what counts most in my book. I love to see the look on her face when I learn new things in Thai and surprise everyone. I get a real kick out of that. It's worth it to learn the language just for that reason. Besides, now that I am starting to clue in on the language a little bit more and making a tad more progress, it is getting to be downright fun.

The outset of learning this language is murder, I tell ya. But take that as a word of encouragement; once you get past the initial confusion and frustration, you begin to understand more and more, and it goes a lot faster and better.

Our bond can't get any deeper. She knows how to push my buttons and I know how to push hers, and we can do all that without speaking at all. I tend to pay a lot more attention that which is not spoken than to that which is spoken.

I think that perhaps the biggest reason I am attracted to Asian women is a very simple one. It's not just because of their beauty, though that is irresistible, to be sure. For me, it has everything to do with the mindset.

I find American woman, for the most part, spoiled lazy. They are always brought up to be "Daddy's Little Princess", and "pumpkins", and all that junk, etc., and are taught that the only thing men are good for is getting them things they want. And when they don't get it, they throw a fit, get a divorce, whip a coffee cup at your forehead, etc.

Thai women are, in their mindset, alike with American men. They are taught, as American men are taught to spoil their women and give them whatever they want, to spoil Thai men and give them whatever they want.

Is it any wonder American men are so bloody attracted to Asian women? I think it no wonder at all. We think alike, which explains the attraction, and explains the compatibility, and explains a lot of things. That has been my experience.

The idea that Asian women are “submissive” and all that Western nonsense is just that, nonsense. I find them powerfully assertive, and even downright aggressive when necessary. I love it.

My Thai partner and I started communicating effectively straight away. Why wouldn’t we. We are of like mind.

• Like 2

Is she Thai/Chinese?

how did you know ?

yes, my god, do you know her?

maybe she is your boss in the office you work in ...

I did not say she was hi/so ... that will only happen the day her father dies and hopefully get some serious cash...

now only free car + house

Is she Thai/Chinese?

how did you know ?

yes, my god, do you know her?

maybe she is your boss in the office you work in ...

I did not say she was hi/so ... that will only happen the day her father dies and hopefully get some serious cash...

now only free car + house

Know her, how could I possibly! whistling.gif

Beatifully pathetic. First you got a partner, then you think how to learn to communicate with her. What a romance and a meet of minds and souls!

So you would never consider marrying the love of your life if she was deaf and dumb....?....................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Beatifully pathetic. First you got a partner, then you think how to learn to communicate with her. What a romance and a meet of minds and souls!

Romance doesn't require words, and indeed effective verbal communication often is exactly what kills many a great relationship.

All depends on what you're looking for - but if intellectual stimulation is what you're after I would suggest this part of the world isn't the most fertile hunting ground.

Edited by wym

We don't come to Thailand looking for intellectual stimulation.

Romance doesn't require words, and indeed effective verbal communication often is exactly what kills many a great relationship.

Who is we?

Who is we?

You might call us sex tourists. I prefer romantic travelers.

More broadly, men coming to Thailand for the women.

Some might be young and hansum enough, or wealthy enough, to attract a well-educated, world-experienced mate with good English.

Personally that kind of partner is not of interest to me, which works out just fine, since they wouldn't give me a second look either.

Who is we?

Some might be young and hansum enough, or wealthy enough, to attract a well-educated, world-experienced mate with good English.

Personally that kind of partner is not of interest to me, which works out just fine, since they wouldn't give me a second look either.

I came for work but I did buy the missus (after a few weeks rental).

• Like 1

Who is we?

All things considered maybe you should only speak for yourself. Just so you don't get confused, I'm opting out of you speaking for me and perhaps there are others who might not want to be identified as sex tourists.

• Like 2

All things considered maybe you should only speak for yourself. Just so you don't get confused, I'm opting out of you speaking for me and perhaps there are others who might not want to be identified as sex tourists.

I never claimed to speak for you.

Many - if not most - male foreigners here have such motives and attitude, whether they're as honest as me or whether you like it or not.

Feel free to make me disappear with the forum's ignore function. . .

I never claimed to speak for you.

Many - if not most - male foreigners here have such motives and attitude, whether they're as honest as me or whether you like it or not.

Feel free to make me disappear with the forum's ignore function. . .

You wrote, "We don't come to Thailand looking for intellectual stimulation." Nothing wrong with the comment but you should not have assumed you had the authority to speak for anyone but yourself.

Is she Thai/Chinese?

how did you know ?

Chula graduates are ten a penny. If your wife didn't study overseas she's basically worthless. :)

Is she Thai/Chinese?

how did you know ?

Chula graduates are ten a penny. If your wife didn't study overseas she's basically worthless. smile.png

Kinda like your post! How sad that people aren't able to recognize satire any more, too complicated perhaps, dunno!

Is she Thai/Chinese?

how did you know ?

Chula graduates are ten a penny. If your wife didn't study overseas she's basically worthless. smile.png

Kinda like your post! How sad that people aren't able to recognize satire any more, too complicated perhaps, dunno!

how did you know ?