Does a life insurance also pay when only Buddhist married and not gov marriage?

Sandman77

Yesterday my wife told me she make a life insurance, without telling be this before!

She is sure insurance also pay when we only married by Buddha and not married by gov, when she give my name in insurance paper!

Is this information right or not?

People who do a religous ceremony with monks are not married. Why would anyone go through all that procedure that can last upto 3 days, and not go and spend 20 minutes at an Amphur and register the marraige properly and legaly?

She may have said that you are her husband on the insurance, but with all the loop holes and bent ways they could possibly ask to see a marraige certificate if you ever wanted to claim.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The policy will pay the named beneficiary regardless of marriage status.

Making a false statement (also known as fraud) can and will result in the insurance Co. refusing payment.

It is also possible that the insurance Co could bring criminal charges against a person making false claims.

Read the Bangkok Post or the Nation and it regularly reports situations involving 2 people, one of whom is described as the wife, but has a different surname.

Whilst it is possible to keep ones maiden name when marrying in Thailand, it is unusual, and for the most part, if you don't share the same surname you are unlikely to be legally married.

A Buddhist "wedding" means nothing legally. It's all just a show with the oohs and aahs when the money is counted out,and all the neioghbours turn up for a free binge! Why can't the Thais get this fact into their thick heads?

• Like 1

I want to tell you what is really going on but i feel you should find out for yourself,,, how many women in your country do you know that marry a man then get a life insurance for that man (without telling you) when you answer that question pack your bags and go, by the way you are not LEGALLY married,, i think you are lucke there because maybe she would be entitled to 50% of your estate, has she mentioned that yet,, if she has then i know the girl you married because i married her last year.

Read the Bangkok Post or the Nation and it regularly reports situations involving 2 people, one of whom is described as the wife, but has a different surname.

Whilst it is possible to keep ones maiden name when marrying in Thailand, it is unusual, and for the most part, if you don't share the same surname you are unlikely to be legally married.

A Buddhist "wedding" means nothing legally. It's all just a show with the oohs and aahs when the money is counted out,and all the neioghbours turn up for a free binge! Why can't the Thais get this fact into their thick heads?

How is the Buddhist wedding any different to the Christian wedding? Ends up as a party usually anyway.

The only thing legal about any marriage is when it is lawfully registered.

This is usually done at the same time at a Christian wedding and not at the Buddhist ceremony.

It can be done in the west exactly as it can be done in Thailand - go to the relevant Government department and register the marriage, a couple of signatures that's all. There is no compulsion for a party at all.

What the Buddhist wedding, and the western version of it, does is show to the "village" people, family members and friends that two people have made a commitment to each other and everyone around them understands that.

Do not forget that the western version of marriage was initially about the division of property, land etc. Religion only got involved relatively recently when there was a requirement to document this division of assets and the priests were usually the only people who could read and write.

Buddhist society had (has) no need for this - everyone involved understands (understood) the arrangement according to traditional practices.

Can you get that in to your thick head?

• Like 1

Yes, the REAL marriage personally and socially is the community/religious one in all cultures.

The government-sanctioned one is only for legal/financial purposes, taxes, inheritance, immigration etc.

Many people legally marry for a while without any real relationship, just to get a work permit etc.

Others love each other maybe raise children and all, but the laws create incentives to not register.

I'd say the latter are a LOT more "real" than the former myself.

Anyone can buy a life policy on anyone in Thailand, it's just another form of legalized gambling here, no need to be married or otherwise related.

Up to the insurance company, better to read the fine print and contact their legal dept if anything isn't clear.

A proper husband IMO should be doing this anyway - and paying for it - himself.

Of course if the idea makes you nervous you could do so without letting her know, just make sure your executor does.

Edited by wym

i married my wife in Bangkok in 2006, she choose to keep her Thai surname and it states that on the marriage papers, are you telling me I am not married, ......that would save having to divorce her.

Just for the record, to be officially married in Thailand you have to go through the Buddhist ceremony. At the Ampur they do ask if you have been through the ceremony before they will issue a marriage certificate

Just for the record, to be officially married in Thailand you have to go through the Buddhist ceremony. At the Ampur they do ask if you have been through the ceremony before they will issue a marriage certificate

Thats not true. I got married twice at an Amphur and have never done a buddhist ceremony, and twice I got my wedding certificate.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Rolox...............coffee1.gif

I'd have it translated, if possible, and checked by someone - preferably non-Thai - who knows what they are looking at. There is no reason insurance shouldn't pay, irrespective of marital status, where there is a named beneficiary, but many Thai policies are flogged by bank staff and don't necessarily do what the tin claims - or what the buyer expects.