Reporting Unhygienic Restaurants

NCFC

They are everywhere in Thailand, and people seem so accepting of low standards of hygiene in food preparation. We all have our own horror stories. But is there a system for reporting unhygienic restaurants and road-side food-sellers? There must be some government department responsible because I've seen some restaurants display their certificates of cleanliness.How would one go about reporting unhygienic places?

Edited by NCFC

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This is not a western v Thai culture question, though. It is about cleanliness v dirtyness culture and what one can do about it.

Try telling the noodle stall lady she runs a "dirty" setup !

Hope the flying knives and soup ladles miss what will be the target!

there is no such thing in Thailand,i have stayed at a lot of 4/5 star hotels and have never seen a certificate of any sort displayed.

my wife was a catering supervisor in the uk.17yrs.and what she had to pass would have been behond me.

1st. the essential.

2nd.the basic.

3rd.the intermediate.

then she had to study the different kinds of food poisoning,you wouldn't be able to pronounce them never mind remembering how to spell them.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

there is no such thing in Thailand,i have stayed at a lot of 4/5 star hotels and have never seen a certificate of any sort displayed.

my wife was a catering supervisor in the uk.17yrs.and what she had to pass would have been behond me.

1st. the essential.

2nd.the basic.

3rd.the intermediate.

then she had to study the different kinds of food poisoning,you wouldn't be able to pronounce them never mind remembering how to spell them.

There is of course no dirty food outlets in the UK !

WRONG !

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tiger-king-southsea-boss-filthy-3180696

1st. the essential.

2nd.the basic.

3rd.the intermediate.

Obviously 4/5 star hotels don't display hygiene certificates. But if you go out of the tourist zones you will find many small mom and pop restaurants that proudly display their health certificates. I was querying what the system in place is and whether one could report serious failings.

There is of course no dirty food outlets in the UK !

of course there are but there action is taken

Fan was banned from owning and running a food business until further notice by Portsmouth magistrates. He was also fined £5,000 and ordered to pay nearly £1,400 in costs.

Edited by johng

there is no such thing in Thailand

MoPH has a department responsible for inspecting restaurants, other food related and water factories.

They carry out regular checks on factories and will investigate complaints made of food outlets. You can also see MoPH mobile food testing laboratories at fresh food and street markets.

No one is forced to eat or buy food they consider "unhygienic" .

Westerners should just boycott those places which fail to meet the expected (Western) standards

Thais should also boycott these.

there is no such thing in Thailand

MoPH has a department responsible for inspecting restaurants, other food related and water factories.

They carry out regular checks on factories and will investigate complaints made of food outlets. You can also see MoPH mobile food testing laboratories at fresh food and street markets.

well you don't say.so that's how they get free food.

If the OP is keen on "reporting" then he can make his complaints about specific establishments/food carts at the Local Municipal Administration Office.

Best a fluent Thai speaker accompanies him !

Edited by thepool

But is there a system for reporting unhygienic restaurants and road-side food-sellers?

Please take your western nanny state attitude back to where you came from. Asia is Asia. Just because we have nice roads and BTS please don't expect all that duty of care nonsense from the over regulated west.

As has been said if you thing a restaurant is unhygienic don't eat there and keep your opinion to yourself, simple as that.

• Like 2

I have been coming to Thailand over 30 years and have eaten at every kind of establishment...from 5 star to 0 star street vendors.

I have gotten food poisoning exactly one time.

That was at a popular Mexican food establishment on Soi 7 in Pattaya, farang owned and managed.

I think there is not one month, that one of my staff gets food poisoning......

What would be 1 time per year per Thai person in average.

And some of the technician live close to each other and cook together...they never got anything from this food.

My wives sister before only eat at the cheapest places and got it once every couple of weeks, but in her case it is more evolution at work, trying to filter out the must stupid from the genetic pool (always eating the same junk that makes you sick, is just not fit for life).

This is not a western v Thai culture question, though. It is about cleanliness v dirtyness culture and what one can do about it.

Try telling the noodle stall lady she runs a "dirty" setup !

Hope the flying knives and soup ladles miss what will be the target!

This is the best point.

Tell any restaurant or stall owner here that you think their 'establishment' or stall is not clean enough or not good enough and see what happens.

Telling them something like that is criticizing.....and criticizing is not done here.....it's often almost the same as insulting.

Same as someone asking if the food they just cooked for you is 'aroi'......try saying 'it's crap bah.gif , can you try again?" lol

I will just say "it's okay" and meanwhile make a mental note to not get it at that place again.

I could say it's crap of course, but then I would just be stuck there longer than I want to be. wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png