what visa is required for 'duty free import' shipping stuff from oz

Hi there

I'm thinking of shipping my belongings to the kingdom from oz and thus doing research at the moment to understand the rules etc.

I read a comment on a recent thread:

''For duty free import you must have a work permit and be on a 1 year extension of stay, your first one to be exact! Only during the first year can you receive a duty free shipment As a work permit is required, you will need a non-immigrant visa.

If married to a Thai, she can import duty free if she return to Thailand after having llived abroad.

What you can duty free import are household effects (second hand), with things as a TV and computer in a reasonable amount.

All other things can of course be imported, but you pay duties over them. With a Thai agent they will negotiate a very favourable fee with customs.''

Im currently on a double entry tourist visa and probably getting married to my lovely lady in the next 3 months. I believe that I will have to change my visa to a non immig O visa.

Once this is done can I then ship my stuff to LOS and will it be duty free? The gf has never lived in oz and thus the above comment does not apply.

If the goods take 3 months to be shipped here can I start the process now and hopefully have the O visa by the time it arrives in LOS on the ship.

Any advise is appreciated as I am evidently clueless about the rules..

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Customs told me they wouldn't let my stuff off the quayside duty-free as my work permit needed to be valid for MORE THAN 1 year wacko.png.pagespeed.ce.jGW10VtQsI.png

That requirement is very clearly stated

"A one-year (or more) work permit issued by the Department of Labor"

Check the Thai customs website!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What happens about customs etc if I order a computer on Amazon to be delivered to me here in Thailand?

Payment of VAT and import duty on the invoiced value of the goods.

Best buy in Thailand !

• Like 1

I dont understand 100%. If I am due to be married in the next 4 months and my visa reverts to a marriage visa do I still have to pay import duty?

When they say ''Payment of VAT and import duty on the invoiced value of the goods. ''

All my stuff is second hand insurred value $20k. Are you saying one has to have invoices for all my belongings from years ago? What would be the estimated duty and vat on $20k?

thanks

My Mate in New Zealand came here a got himself a retirement visa do not know which he imported a 20ft container with all his household stuff in and a few other things, he used a Thai agent he never paid any duties all duty free.

I dont understand 100%. If I am due to be married in the next 4 months and my visa reverts to a marriage visa do I still have to pay import duty?

When they say ''Payment of VAT and import duty on the invoiced value of the goods. ''

All my stuff is second hand insurred value $20k. Are you saying one has to have invoices for all my belongings from years ago? What would be the estimated duty and vat on $20k?

thanks

Getting married confers no privilege.

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

The "value" is what the Custom Officer decides !

My Mate in New Zealand came here a got himself a retirement visa do not know which he imported a 20ft container with all his household stuff in and a few other things, he used a Thai agent he never paid any duties all duty free.

Sounds like one of those "urban myth" tales but if true the "Mate" was very lucky !

Wonder how much the Thai "agent" charged ?

Edited by thepool
  • Like 1

Same for me. I have Retirement Visa and no problems bringing all my loads of stuff into the country with no VAT or duty charges. Cannot do so on a Tourist Visa since they think you might sell your stuff to make extra money. Have to have either a Work Permit with B or O Visa or else a Retirement Visa. Agreed that if new to the country best to hire a customs clearance expert through someone you know and trust so don't take you to the cleaners. I know one guy in the business but even he tried to rip me off stating the "estimated" rate to slip someone a tip would be $1,000. Hired a French guy who has done this for years and cost me nothing except the transport of my stuff to my residence and small tip to his crew to unpack it all.

Same for me. I have Retirement Visa and no problems bringing all my loads of stuff into the country with no VAT or duty charges. Cannot do so on a Tourist Visa since they think you might sell your stuff to make extra money. Have to have either a Work Permit with B or O Visa or else a Retirement Visa. Agreed that if new to the country best to hire a customs clearance expert through someone you know and trust so don't take you to the cleaners. I know one guy in the business but even he tried to rip me off stating the "estimated" rate to slip someone a tip would be $1,000. Hired a French guy who has done this for years and cost me nothing except the transport of my stuff to my residence and small tip to his crew to unpack it all.

That is not correct info according to current rules. See the customs website.

It clearly states you need a work permit now.

I shipped about $30,000 US worth of goods to Thailand from the US and only paid about $100 in fees. I'm not sure what the fees covered as I used a shipper in the US and a Thai agent to receive the goods in Thailand.

FYI, I had a non-immigrant visa based on a Thai wife.

I shipped about $30,000 US worth of goods to Thailand from the US and only paid about $100 in fees. I'm not sure what the fees covered as I used a shipper in the US and a Thai agent to receive the goods in Thailand.

Did you import them in your name or your wife's.

Thais that have been out of the country for one year can import household items duty free.

I have a Thai wife, but she will have a US passport, does anyone know if I still qualify for duty free, I will be shipping from Minnesota, does anyone know of any shippers in this area, would like to do the 20 foot container

I have a Thai wife, but she will have a US passport, does anyone know if I still qualify for duty free, I will be shipping from Minnesota, does anyone know of any shippers in this area, would like to do the 20 foot container

Check it out !

http://www.customs.go.th/wps/wcm/connect/custen/individuals/importing+used+or+secondhand+household+effects/importingusedsecondhandhouseholdeffects+

To all the people claiming that they imported used household goods free of charge on a retirement visa will find that tea money will have been factored into the cost of the shipment from the beginning. I've been handling shipments like these for 15 years and have never seen freebies, and if you think about it, why would a customs official give farangs tax and duty free privilege for a container load of goods, yet tax every DHL/TNT/UPS type shipment with a pair of pants and a cake mixer in it???

• Like 1

She still has her Thai nationality and I assume a Thai passport that she could us for the shipping so the answer would be that she can.

Having dual nationality changes nothing.

• Like 1

Do not intend to be personal mate but you must be a newbe to Thailand since when does one "trust" a Thai website for accurate information? I have received printed instructions from Immigration and other agencies which when I have tried to point out that I am following their instructions to the letter, they contradict their own instructions and make it up on what the new instructions are today. If you know the correct people, you can do many things in Thailand since the laws are traditionally defined as "flexible" and subject to the individual Thai official's interpretations, usually dependent upon the tea money. I have cleared many items from Customs and also continue to receive personal items sent from abroad all duty free. Try to find how to do this on the Thai gov't website. Just one of the reasons I love living in Thailand.

Do not intend to be personal mate but you must be a newbe to Thailand since when does one "trust" a Thai website for accurate information? I have received printed instructions from Immigration and other agencies which when I have tried to point out that I am following their instructions to the letter, they contradict their own instructions and make it up on what the new instructions are today. If you know the correct people, you can do many things in Thailand since the laws are traditionally defined as "flexible" and subject to the individual Thai official's interpretations, usually dependent upon the tea money. I have cleared many items from Customs and also continue to receive personal items sent from abroad all duty free. Try to find how to do this on the Thai gov't website. Just one of the reasons I love living in Thailand.

I certainly not a newbie to Thailand. I suspect I may of been here much longer than you.

I just made my post to stop misleading information that makes people think that they can get a duty free shipment done when they can't unless their broker takes care of it the customs officer.

I trust the website much better than hearsay from posters or what could be old info.

• Like 1

It used to be the case that if you had a long-term visa (I had a multiple entry non-Immigrant O visa at the time) that you could import personal belongings etc into Thailand free of duty. The rules were changed whilst mine were in transit in the latter part of 2005. The agent in Bangkok suggested that I should pay a certain amount (about 4/5,000 baht) and they would have it brought through customs without being inspected. There would be no receipt, however. I accepted the offer.

Alan

• Like 1

I imported my household goods from the UK some 7 years ago and used a company in Bangkok called ' Asian Tigers'. My 20 foot container arrived at my house unopened and I only paid something like 300B to the driver of the lorry for a piece of paper that he had with him. Some 30 mins later 6 men arrived in a mini van, all smartly dressed in 'Asian tiger' overalls and proceeded to unload/unpack and put everything where the wife (British) wanted it to be.They took about 3 hours to unload the whole lot and then took all the packing materials away with them - fantastic service, and not a single item damaged.

Guess that I was just plain lucky ????

After living in the kingdom for over 8 years I decided to ship my household effect from storage in the Uk to Thailand I am retired and have an extension of stay unknown to me when I shipped these goods as I only have an extension of stay I am permitted to ship books and clothes however my consignment was household which was kitchen ware , pictures , electrical items , speakers , to many to mention I total 13 boxes and a couple of suitcases I was charged less than 5,000 baht by customs and not one box , suitcase was opened all this took place in the last 6 months . The handling agent in Bangkok was outstanding so forget all the bull you hear or read I am telling you the facts 8 years of extension of stay visas and less than 5,000 baht in customs duty my only regret was that I did not go and buy a huge BBQ before shipping my stuff out as they cost a fortune over here I would have got the daughter to stoke it up for a few hours to make it look used and then shipped it with my other stuff.

I imported my household goods from the UK some 7 years ago and used a company in Bangkok called ' Asian Tigers'. My 20 foot container arrived at my house unopened and I only paid something like 300B to the driver of the lorry for a piece of paper that he had with him. Some 30 mins later 6 men arrived in a mini van, all smartly dressed in 'Asian tiger' overalls and proceeded to unload/unpack and put everything where the wife (British) wanted it to be.They took about 3 hours to unload the whole lot and then took all the packing materials away with them - fantastic service, and not a single item damaged.

Guess that I was just plain lucky ????

I must have been too. I also had similar experience with Asian Tigers about 5 years ago. Only difference the lorry struggled to find the house so the team arrived first, and on first sight I thought they were customs. The ship docked at 4 pm on the Friday and the container came 9am next morning with the seal still intact.