Samsung and Apple renew patent battle in US court

Lite Beer

Samsung and Apple renew patent battle in US court

SAN FRANCISCO: Apple and Samsung will return to federal court in the heart of Silicon Valley on Monday for a new round in their seemingly perpetual patent war.

AFP

The case concerns smartphone and tablet patents and is just the latest in a long-running feud between the two tech giants, who are battling for supremacy in a multi-billion-dollar market.

"The parties tried hard to accuse each other's latest and greatest products, but US patent litigation is slow, which is why this 2014 trial will be about 2012 and pre-2012 products," intellectual property analyst Florian Mueller said in a post at website fosspatents.com.

The rivals will face off once again before District Court Judge Lucy Koh in the California city of San Jose.

Koh presided over a trial last year that ended with a jury declaring Samsung owed Apple more that a billion dollars in damages for infringing patents with some older model Android-powered devices.

The damages award was later trimmed to $929 million and is being appealed.

If this new trial goes in Apple's favor, it could result in an even bigger award since it involves better-selling Samsung devices built with Google-backed Android software.

This time California-based Apple is taking aim at Samsung's flagship Galaxy line crafted to challenge the iPhone in the high-performance end of the market.

"Both in the United States and globally, Apple and Samsung have established themselves as fierce competitors in the smartphone market and fierce adversaries in the courtroom," Koh said during rulings on injunctions, testimony and other matters ahead of trial.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-03-30

And this silly battle is one of the reasons why we pay 20.000 Baht for a product that costs 3000 Baht to produce.

It shouldn't be allowed to have a patent on ridiculous things like rounded edges or a start button. Shame that a company like Apple has to make a living out of these childish practices.

• Like 1

And this silly battle is one of the reasons why we pay 20.000 Baht for a product that costs 3000 Baht to produce.

It shouldn't be allowed to have a patent on ridiculous things like rounded edges or a start button. Shame that a company like Apple has to make a living out of these childish practices.

Jesse, vote with your wallet - don't buy 20,000 baht phones that cost 3k.

• Like 2

Difficult to do if you want to stay up to date with current technologies, isn't it ?

Sent form my 3000 Baht worth Galaxy Note.

Difficult to do if you want to stay up to date with current technologies, isn't it ?

Sent form my 3000 Baht worth Galaxy Note.

True enough... sent from my 4000 baht second hand LG

Never have, and never will, pay more than £40/฿2000 for a phone.

Really, what will an iPhone do that my "old" HTC won't? It makes & receives calls, it runs all the IM clients I want it to, it sends & receives e-mails, it takes "reasonable" photos, has good screen resolution and an OLED display, and it's currently acting as a WiFi hotspot for me to surf the net on my laptop.

Please tell my why I should be brainwashed into paying ฿20~25k for something from Crapple, for "current technologies"?

Apple are hypocrits. The built themselves on a "stolen" idea, and use Samsung chips in many of their products.