Leaving Thailand for China, here is why

MrHammer

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with you on many Thai become aggressive, business is a pain, visa another problem etc. But you should also realize that most people living in Thailand are either tourist or retired people. There are not many people like you in 30's with good education looking for jobs.

They also say grass is always greener on the other side. I really hope you be happy in China. Best of luck

"Most people in Thailand are either a tourist or retired people" "There are not many people...with good education..." Your words!

Are you high or just another tourist?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You forgot the 3rd option: an idiot.

• Like 1

Agree with you on many Thai become aggressive, business is a pain, visa another problem etc. But you should also realize that most people living in Thailand are either tourist or retired people. There are not many people like you in 30's with good education looking for jobs.

They also say grass is always greener on the other side. I really hope you be happy in China. Best of luck

If it's really about a good standard of living, why not another country than China? I think it's not just the Communist bs that I dislike. Some people I worked with here in Thailand regret that they went to Shanghai.

Taiwan didn't get a good reputation either. But the OP seems to think that all Isaan girls are prostitutes. Why not giving it a try to live here? Learn how to speak the girl's local slang and you'll find that people here are much different to those in Bangkok, or Pattaya, etc....

Yep, the grass always seems to be greener in your dreams. Hope reality won't catch up, but it will. Niehau maa.

Taiwan or Taipei more specifically is a beautiful rich city. Most everyone speaks English. It's infrastructure, architecture, business & shopping districts make it as the same as the Manhattan in Asia. Understand your defense of Thailand but you can't add Taiwan to your comparison.

If it's really about a good standard of living, why not another country than China? I think it's not just the Communist bs that I dislike. Some people I worked with here in Thailand regret that they went to Shanghai.

Taiwan didn't get a good reputation either. But the OP seems to think that all Isaan girls are prostitutes. Why not giving it a try to live here? Learn how to speak the girl's local slang and you'll find that people here are much different to those in Bangkok, or Pattaya, etc....

Yep, the grass always seems to be greener in your dreams. Hope reality won't catch up, but it will. Niehau maa.

Taiwan or Taipei more specifically is a beautiful rich city. Most everyone speaks English. It's infrastructure, architecture, business & shopping districts make it as the same as the Manhattan in Asia. Understand your defense of Thailand but you can't add Taiwan to your comparison.

I dont see why people are so in love with thailand, unless it is the ability to live a certain lifestyle on 30,000 baht monthly.

I was unable to live the way I wanted to for less than 100,000 baht monthly, so I returned to florida where I can ride a bike without being killed or breathing in metals and pollution. and I can ride my scooter to the ocean and swim in it in 7 minutes door to door.

In thailand, I had a hard time accepting the heat without relief

I also was unable to find consistent high pH water in thailand which for me, is a must

give me the ocean and the ability to breathe clean air, and that is half the battle in life

So why do you still engage in this forum? Is it because you want to be an altruistic community member and help others? I don't think so—I would bet good money that you use this forum as a reaffirmation that "YES, I AM RIGHT! It was nothing to do with me; it was all because of Thailand." Why don't you just be done with it, and just disconnect with this place that caused you so much pain, so the rest of us can live in peace?

Good question for Mr. Scarpolo. If he's so happy in Florida (aka Utopia), why does he keep coming back to TV? It reminds me of certain bashers on the stock message boards, where they sell a stock but it keeps going up. So the bashers come back to remind everyone how crappy the stock is, as if to do everyone a favor. But what it really is, is sellers-remorse. Mr. Scarpolo needs to convince everyone (mostly himself) that he made the right decision.

Are you looking for affirmation the you are making the right choice? I am confused as to why you have spent so much time writing your post. I think you have some points that are certainly true such as:

Thai's opinion of foreigners

No lateral thinking

No giving all taking

Also rampant corruption is also high on the list. However, there are still good things about Thailand but if you are the kind of person who judges life by the "quality" of prostitutes you can meet then I fear you are doomed wherever you go.

I have worked in Asia for many years, the last 18 months in Thailand, prior to that Hong Kong and China so I am talking from experience. I have to tell you that you are very wrong about China. There are big similarities between Thailand and China particularly in regards to their opinions of foreigners and all taking and no giving.. However, they do think a little more "internationally" particularly in the South and major cities but they appear to be very arrogant.

Starting a business in China as a foreigner is not easy. You will find very quickly that local people do not want to see you "sucking" the money out of their economy and earning a decent living for yourself,, this is exactly as they see it,, greed and jealousy is widespread. Trust is a real issue and you will need to be very careful and have a lots of luck to find the right Chinese partner (and you will need one).

So, in my opinion across Asia there are similar issues. Asia's wealth is very recent and all built upon the greed of the West trying to improve margins in products by using low cost labour in hugely populated poor countries.. but sooner or later the money changes hands which is where we are today.

My last point and advice is don't even think of going to China to do business with your current thinking. Doing business there is not a bed of roses with easy opportunity, you need to research a lot more, if you don't the Chinese will teach you a harsh lesson.

Spent a month in Wales, saw partial blue sky, one day. Oh but that wasn't smog just some evenly spaced depressing cold grey. Point being there's pollution all throughout Asia, better to judge by other qualities. In the next few months, I tend to be actively looking at China as well for not just business but a better quality of life than Thailand. It's a universal access point for anything you need whereas Thailand is very limited & very expensive for the lower quality items. The high import taxes & general mark ups just because foreigners like it. China is also where most household items, electronics & clothing is manufactured making it a hub to consumer products. Apple is supported, other than Japan I think China is the only other country in the region, but than again Apple is also made in China.

A "better quality of life"? I guess depends on your definition of "better".

If you have not lived or traveled extensively in China, like in or to the eastern cities, you have not seen air pollution. I've visited and lived all over SE Asia and China. The air pollution in China is epic. Even on a relatively *clear* day, go out for a run and within a few blocks throat and lungs are burning -- the invisible particulates. Not so great days, look out of my place on the 10th-floor, I can't see the street one block away and down. Flying in to Beijing, you don't see the tarmac until a few seconds before you touch down. (They ground flights on occasion due to lack of visibility.) And while I mentioned eastern cities, those inland get just as bad, even worse. Just google China air pollution > Images > Past month. Only way to get away is down south and to the west -- an ever lessening zone of relatively clean(er) air.

What they have done to their lakes and waterways is... depressing, in the extreme. About 80% can no longer support life -- like fish. About 90% of city groundwater is polluted beyond possible use. I think about 40% of the citizens have no access to truly clean potable water.

China is not cheap -- unless you are out in the boonies gone native. Hotels, as a gauge, are about at US levels. A decent Western-inclined apartment in Beijing is comparable with most US cities -- likely more than most. And unless you are buying Chinese brands (or knock-offs), you will pay a premium with tariff. (And the decent Chinese brands compare in price with US prices on US goods -- more expensive, a lot of cases.) I always arranged to have photographic, computer and other electronics delivered from the States.

And the Han are pretty miserable, you get right down to it. A lot of them will be the first to admit it.

A "better quality of life"? Don't bet on it.

Good point, retract previous statement in regards to China vs quality of life. I just know Thailand is also not, guess will have to move focus to KL or Taipei.

Besides the nightlife what were your other hobbies and interests in Thailand? You seem to only talk about the nightlife... you seem kind of obsessed with it.

Totally agree- the concept that the quality go go bars has any influence of why you would choose to leave this country is extraordinary . I will probably be shot down in flames, but my way of looking at life is constant further education - science, arts , languages, music, ecology etc. Making friends, travel .

The comment on Isaan whores is totally disgusting , and maybe demonstrates the OP's total lack of education.

Stay in Isaan and you realise that the people there are very proud of the culture, food of their region, yes some do not have much; but for example I would put the sense of community found there over a God forsaken town in parts of the UK.

Hope you enjoy your time in China and then the country you move onto next.

• Like 1

Spent a month in Wales, saw partial blue sky, one day. Oh but that wasn't smog just some evenly spaced depressing cold grey. Point being there's pollution all throughout Asia, better to judge by other qualities. In the next few months, I tend to be actively looking at China as well for not just business but a better quality of life than Thailand. It's a universal access point for anything you need whereas Thailand is very limited & very expensive for the lower quality items. The high import taxes & general mark ups just because foreigners like it. China is also where most household items, electronics & clothing is manufactured making it a hub to consumer products. Apple is supported, other than Japan I think China is the only other country in the region, but than again Apple is also made in China.

If you have not lived or traveled extensively in China, like in or to the eastern cities, you have not seen air pollution. I've visited and lived all over SE Asia and China. The air pollution in China is epic. Even on a relatively *clear* day, go out for a run and within a few blocks throat and lungs are burning -- the invisible particulates. Not so great days, look out of my place on the 10th-floor, I can't see the street one block away and down. Flying in to Beijing, you don't see the tarmac until a few seconds before you touch down. (They ground flights on occasion due to lack of visibility.) And while I mentioned eastern cities, those inland get just as bad, even worse. Just google China air pollution > Images > Past month. Only way to get away is down south and to the west -- an ever lessening zone of relatively clean(er) air.

What they have done to their lakes and waterways is... depressing, in the extreme. About 80% can no longer support life -- like fish. About 90% of city groundwater is polluted beyond possible use. I think about 40% of the citizens have no access to truly clean potable water.

China is not cheap -- unless you are out in the boonies gone native. Hotels, as a gauge, are about at US levels. A decent Western-inclined apartment in Beijing is comparable with most US cities -- likely more than most. And unless you are buying Chinese brands (or knock-offs), you will pay a premium with tariff. (And the decent Chinese brands compare in price with US prices on US goods -- more expensive, a lot of cases.) I always arranged to have photographic, computer and other electronics delivered from the States.

And the Han are pretty miserable, you get right down to it. A lot of them will be the first to admit it.

Good point, retract previous statement in regards to China vs quality of life. I just know Thailand is also not, guess will have to move focus to KL or Taipei.

Can't speak to Taipei, never been there other than in transit. Have heard some good things. I also know that a few years back, when they dropped restrictions and Chinese Mainlander tour groups poured in, the Taiwan hospitality industry, like agents and hotels, freaked out. The mainlanders were stealing everything not bolted down, leaving cig butt burns on the furniture, spitting on the floors, using the room carpets as ironing surfaces, screaming in the restaurants, getting belligerent for no good reason, etc... The general noise and rudeness sent the industry into appall mode.

On KL, though, I have been. Will refer you to this TVF string [revised]: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714625-is-kl-better-than-bangkok-as-a-travel-destination/

On Thailand, it is what it is. And what it is right now is a place infested with the Common Koel (bird). The males are making me insane, their constant pleading to get laid, repeating the same series of monotonous calls starting (usually) at 03:30, going all day. Last night, 02:00 sharp the bastard kicks up. On this, certainly, one thing China has over Thailand. They must have ate most of them during "Great Leap Forward" and shamed and executed the rest during Cultural Revolution. (But, seriously, anybody knows a local in CM good at trapping - or worse - birds...)

Edited by Wordworx
  • Like 1

Can't speak to Taipei, never been there other than in transit. Have heard some good things. I also know that a few years back, when they dropped restrictions and Chinese Mainlander tour groups poured in, the Taiwan hospitality industry, like agents and hotels, freaked out. The mainlanders were stealing everything not bolted down, leaving cig butt burns on the furniture, spitting on the floors, using the room carpets as ironing surfaces, screaming in the restaurants, getting belligerent for no good reason, etc... The general noise and rudeness sent the industry into appall mode.

On KL, though, I have been. Will refer you to this TVF string: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/714625-is-kl-better-than-bangkok-as-a-travel-destination/page-2#entry7625263

On Thailand, it is what it is. And what it is right now is a place infested with the Common Koel (bird). The males are making me insane, their constant pleading to get laid, repeating the same series of monotonous calls starting (usually) at 03:30, going all day. Last night, 02:00 sharp the bastard kicks up. On this, certainly, one thing China has over Thailand. They must have ate most of them during "Great Leap Forward" and shamed and executed the rest during Cultural Revolution. (But, seriously, anybody knows a local in CM good at trapping - or worse - birds...)

Try living with not only many dogs next door but also roosters. But get the point with the birds. Not sure what that other animal is but sounds like "Ut O!" All day & through the night.

• Like 1

Good for you but down side in China is as follows dialect changes every 30 miles food well they are known to like horse meat dog and such and being China it is no where near a democracy so if you say something wrong could find yourself disappeared. As far as being cheaper notice they spend more getting away from China. So In a few years you will be back here yes bangkok can be pricey but you choose how you want to live Like nice things? they cost trying to empress the local ladies again going to cost But if you don't mind living outside Bangkok can be very nice just visit for a hoot is all.

"Why China? Because it is the rising power and while the best wild west days are probably gone, there are still great opportunities there. What's more important is that chinese people are actually looking out, something that no thai has done in the last 30 years - and the chinese are actually very interested in what the rest of the world are doing, how we are living, what the world thinks of china etc. They want to learn from others, to work together. The white man is not seen merely as a despicable walking wallet to be fleeced in between <deleted>mongering activities. It's a huge county, massive differences in culture, nature and language. The opportunities there are endless. There are also jobs, there are business opportunities, possibilities to make things happen if you are a hardworking guy. Oh yeah, and their women are far more attractive than the isaan prostitutes or the weird looking halfbreeds adored by the Thai media."

----

Having lived in China for a long time, I would say that it would have been an interesting move 10 years ago, but I fear the OP may be a little late.

In the last two decades, China has been effectively ruined on all fronts by the greed and selfishness of its inhabitants. Today, it's even a challenge to find anywhere in the country to breathe reasonably clean air, and what goes into the food and drink is anyone's guess.

Regarding women, it's a matter of taste, although they are of course white skinned (if you like that) and better educated. But with time you will realize that the mainland Chinese (men) hate farang men more than the Thai do. Remarkably, they (even the younger generation!) have not forgotten how the Europeans humiliated China in the 1800s. It is a frighteningly solid nationalistic homogeneous society. Also, Chinese women are less interested in farang men nowadays, as there are far better local choices for them in the cities with the huge educated local middle class, as well as Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean expat men, who are all far higher ranked than farang. Of course, village girls are still interested in farang, not unlike in Thailand.

Well put. I would even hazard a guess to say that (on average) educated Chinese women are perhaps developing a distaste for laowai men. This would be understandable, given the hundreds of thousands of Western misfits who poured into the nation the past decade or so (present company included, of course). Then again, the typical (even educated) Chinese male is no prize. And, guessing here, the better off "LIttle Emperors" now large, those cats have gotta be a nightmare. But, Chinese women are practical. After thousands of years of the sh-t, they know how to play the game.

I heard foreigners get spit at in China ....

Not far off it tongue.png . Especially when you ask someone for directions. Even if you have it written down in Chinese language. Even if you say it in Chinese. Certainly not the land of smiles that is for sure.

I have a friend who loved China. Lived and taught there English for almost 2 decades. He was treated the same as me if he ever had to ask someone for help or directions (and he is fluent in Mandarin). He was gob-smacked when we took a trip to Vietnam and were treated so wonderfully by the people. He wasn't used to it. And it wasn't a foreigner thing - his wife would be treated the same way. If you think Thais treat each other badly, or Thais treat us badly, then think again.

Anyway, recently he was literally forced out. Apparently a lot is changing in China. The country he once loved (despite the difficult people) started 'turning xenophobic', according to him. Rental prices for foreigners were tripling apparently overnight (more or less) and he could no longer get a marriage visa like he had for almost 2 decades. He ended up on a tourist visa.

He is now residing in Cambodia with his Chinese wife until further notice. Apparently it is cheap enough for him to just retire there, but he couldn't afford to live in China anymore.

Mr. Hammer, consensus is that you've made the wrong decision about China. From what I know, I believe the warnings are quite correct. Better heed them.

Time for a serious rethink!

The OP wrote, "Over here in Thailand, despite having sent several applications for jobs that I am more than qualified for, I receive no interest."

Simple, the dude can't find a job. Thailand and then China, looks great on a resume. I don't know exactly what kind of resume but I'm sure someone will be interested in 10 years of Thailand experience.

Manhattan in Asia? You must be drunk!

I lived in Taipei for 2 years

It's an armpit

When arriving I had to stop smoking immediately as the pollution was the equivalent of 10 cig a day: You get a nasty cough, called the scooter cough. Its renown to have the highest number of scooters and you see hundreds of them gathering at each traffic light. These use 2 times very polluting engines. If you stay over 5 years you have the lung of a 10 years smoker.

The most popular delicacy is fried rotten tofu, which smells like deep fried old turd, and which is banned in Hong Hong streets for being too smelly.

Shopping wise it's crap.

Architecturally speaking it's a desert: The highest skyscraper of Asia is of course tall,but no inner beauty. All remain of the original Tawaiwanese people have been destroyed in the name of colonization and historic Chinese areas are pulled down to be replaced by ugly prison like blocks where each windows has metal bars (Chinese are fearing burglary)

Culturally it's a desert :the favorite pastime is shopping, and there is a reason: there is nothing else to do, and it's the same old crap everywhere: A mix style Chinese Japanese, that tries to look Japanese or Korean but just look bad.

Bits & pieces, commenting based on subject title rather than the actual reading of the OP. Kinda glad I haven't read it, seeing all the minor excerpts, think I might of written something more negative.

Weird looking halfbreeds ain't real positive. Kinda hits a new low for acceptable expressions of Thai people.

• Like 2

Manhattan in Asia? You must be drunk!

I lived in Taipei for 2 years

It's an armpit

When arriving I had to stop smoking immediately as the pollution was the equivalent of 10 cig a day: You get a nasty cough, called the scooter cough. Its renown to have the highest number of scooters and you see hundreds of them gathering at each traffic light. These use 2 times very polluting engines. If you stay over 5 years you have the lung of a 10 years smoker.

The most popular delicacy is fried rotten tofu, which smells like deep fried old turd, and which is banned in Hong Hong streets for being too smelly.

Shopping wise it's crap.

Architecturally speaking it's a desert: The highest skyscraper of Asia is of course tall,but no inner beauty. All remain of the original Tawaiwanese people have been destroyed in the name of colonization and historic Chinese areas are pulled down to be replaced by ugly prison like blocks where each windows has metal bars (Chinese are fearing burglary)

Culturally it's a desert :the favorite pastime is shopping, and there is a reason: there is nothing else to do, and it's the same old crap everywhere: A mix style Chinese Japanese, that tries to look Japanese or Korean but just look bad.

Must of been a different Taipei, the one I went to was beautiful, very clean (which is bit of a contrast to anywhere in New York), no pollution issues (all my Thailand allergies instantly cleared), very modern...felt like I was back in the States in a metropolis.

It sounds as though you didn't really give Thailand much of a chance. Almost sounds as if you moved into a farang ghetto somewhere, have now partied yourself out, are bored of the scene, and want to checkout somewhere new. Basically, you got bored of Nana and the sexpats, so time for something new.

That's fine and all, and hope you have good travels. Don't bash Thailand over it though, as it has nothing to do with Thailand. It's due to you living in a farang ghetto, wanting to party every night.

I still don't see where the 'bashing' element comes into play?

You're right that I've lived in an expat ghetto, though more japanese here than farang, and that I've grown tired of the partying and that's when I discovered that once I took away the party scene, there wasn't much else to interest me. I do not generally find Thai culture and Bangkok leisure activities particularly interesting after the novelty wore off. That's just for me personally. A lot of what would make Bangkok interesting again has high barrier to entry in the form of connections or high language ability and even then, as foreigner you're not invited a lot of places. Again, I am not willing to make that kind of investment, when I think that time and money would be better spent elsewhere.

mayb your just an @sshole and no one wants to be your friend or invite you anywhere anyway, or your just blind to see anything good around you. or some ladyboy made you butt hurt literally one to many times. you should not blame good Thai people because you can not except their culture.Also, the night clubs and the Issan girls at the bars is not culture. its called a good time with good friends. Thailand will be sad to see you go, but the will have proved their point yet again. Farang come and go, but khon Thai is forever. I am very proud to be a part of a great country. Long Live the King

Well you've run the gamut quite successfully. I even spotted a thinly veiled death wish on behalf of one of your detractors!

I hope you will keep us updated on how your experience goes. Remember it'll be uniquely yours to experience and regardless of what this thread may presage could be fantastic or terrible- only one way to find out.

Those of us who are more familiar with your posts know how you meant your comments to be taken.

I wish you the best!

Edited by OxfordWill
  • Like 1

Mr. Hammer, consensus is that you've made the wrong decision about China. From what I know, I believe the warnings are quite correct. Better heed them.

Time for a serious rethink!

The OP wrote, "Over here in Thailand, despite having sent several applications for jobs that I am more than qualified for, I receive no interest."

Simple, the dude can't find a job. Thailand and then China, looks great on a resume. I don't know exactly what kind of resume but I'm sure someone will be interested in 10 years of Thailand experience.

Not enough info to make any meaningful conjecture about that. It depends on what jobs exactly with what companies. May mean something or nothing at all.

BTW, sending applications doesn't normally get you anywhere in Thailand. You got to go to the companies and present yourself.

I'd like to get in an apology before an eventual lock for the choice of words regarding mixed thai-farang children. I did not mean to deliberately offend parents of mixed ethnicity children and it was a very poor choice of words. The comment was supposed to be aimed at the beauty standards of some thais rather than an insult.

• Like 1