Is KL better than Bangkok as a travel destination?

Asianbloke

Been there on a number of occasions.. Seriously don't like the place.. A mix of Malaysians, Chinese and Indians. A right mix of unfriendly nationals..

Been Muslim the beer is expensive and the final mega annoyance is their ripoff / dishonest pricing..

You see prices like 25++ etc. Was in a bar and fancied a Guinness - saw a price 20rg but the bill was nearer 25 with taxes and service charge.. Ever Starbucks don't display final price... Awful place

That's the same in New York and other US states that have a sales tax. Shops want to show their prices and show that the extras are government taxes and nothing to do with them. It's a good way for people tolearn how much their governments steal money from them.

Given the almost unanimous opinions here (a very rare occurrence on TV) that BKK is far superior to KL, looks like the OP's assumption is a misassumption.

Of course, we're all different and our needs and desires vary, but IMHO KL is really booooriiing! It's "kinda" like BKK with a lobotomy.

Edited by HerbalEd

Been there on a number of occasions.. Seriously don't like the place.. A mix of Malaysians, Chinese and Indians. A right mix of unfriendly nationals..

Been Muslim the beer is expensive and the final mega annoyance is their ripoff / dishonest pricing..

You see prices like 25++ etc. Was in a bar and fancied a Guinness - saw a price 20rg but the bill was nearer 25 with taxes and service charge.. Ever Starbucks don't display final price... Awful place

That's the same in New York and other US states that have a sales tax. Shops want to show their prices and show that the extras are government taxes and nothing to do with them. It's a good way for people tolearn how much their governments steal money from them.

Not really interested in the components of a price - like a part of Starbucks pricing is a patent to avoid paying tax etc. - Thailand, Philippines, UK etc

"What I see is what I pay"

Edited by rmacee

I worked in KL, doing the 9-5, Mon-Fri thing for about 9 months. Got a great deal on a condo within eyesight of the Petronas Towers and a 15 minute walk from the office. Prefect. My wife and son came and stayed for a couple of weeks but were happy to go home as there was mai mee sanuk in KL The city, like the country is really quite boring. Towards the end of my gig, I was fleeing the whole country on Friday nights and spending the weekend on Samui as there was an overnight Sunday connection that got me back into KL around 4AM on Monday morning.

Having said that, I do like to do my 'visa runs', passport shuffles and business meetings in KL as I do have some expat friends down there. They are great for a night out where they can buy me beer and live their lives vicariously through my tales of LOS.

30 years in SE Asia, been to kl once for 3 days (2 years ago) never will go back,

its souless

its in the middle between Bangkok and Singpaore and i prefer both of these

I have been several times, and KL is a terribly unimpressive city. The aquarium, and the botanical gardens are world class. But, other than that, not much to do, boring in general, and little action. People are cool but the food in BKK is better, as is the action, and it has a lot more soul and personality. If you like super clean cities without a real soul, KL is your kind of place.

KL "super clean"? LOL!!! Singapore it ain't... What part of KL were you staying in? Because in my experience of several trips, KL is dirtier and smellier than BKK, and the air quality is FAR worse. If anyone would prefer to live in KL rather than BKK if they have a free choice between the two, I'm available to give you some free psychiatric treatment.

Malaysia has its own political tensions and the cultural clash between Bumiputra, ethnic Chinese and ethnic Indian is palpable and ready to go off at any time.

I live in Malaysia and feel very much the same as for KL or Bangkok. Bangkok wins for me, KL is trying to be a second Singapore but only succeeds in having the same soullessness.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No....I live in Hua Hin, and believe me it is easier to get there from Bangkok than KL...cheesy.gif .Plus, why would I buy a beer from a muslim?coffee1.gif

Does this mean you also wouldn't buy a condom from a catholic?

• Like 2

KL is very green compared to BKK. I have live there for eight years. And it's easy to get around to. The taxi there are really nasty unlike the clean new Thai taxis. Shopping wise they do have malls and all but we have JJ market, MBK, Pantip electronics and the posher malls. If you want real Chinese food then KL is the place to be. Politically Malaysia has it backward the people seemed to going backward over there but you don't see it because they cover it up really good this was from the words my diplomat's child friends. And look Malaysia has three types of people The Indian who works harder, The Chinese who sells, and the Malay, lazy, late and only count money. And thinking they are the majority. And they have stupid law and rules. It's a "sign of symptom" if you start wearing V necks, skinny jeans, and a large man hand bag. Then you are medical diagnose as homosexual. I mean common if I am handicap or black I didn't choose to be that it wasn't a choice. That's what I hate about Malaysia.

Mean while in Thailand, Thailand is perfect! Bangkok is perfect! The the people are Fup politically! Just because they want to forgive a person of treason.

Sent from my planet Cybertron.

Edited by CyberMilo

Given the almost unanimous opinions here (a very rare occurrence on TV) that BKK is far superior to KL, looks like the OP's assumption is a misassumption.

Of course, we're all different and our needs and desires vary, but IMHO KL is really booooriiing! It's "kinda" like BKK with a lobotomy.

What is funny though is that on a separate thread, Thailand being the second best country to live in in SE Asia, a lot of people figure Malaysia should be number two after Singapore. Don't agree with either.

I lived and worked in KL for 10 years and loved it. I agree that it looks a bit dull at first, and you really need to make your own life there - same as anywhere. There are great pubs and restaurants not so much in the city centre (well there really isn't one!), but in the KL suburbs and the adjoining Petaling Jaya area. Lots of cultural activities too. My then wife and I would go out most nights with expat and local friends for dinner, music etc. There are no areas like Nana or Cowboy - this is a majority Muslim country - but like Singapore there are places with girls if this is what you want.

Most of the comments by others are subjective, but to correct one comment ALL Malaysian citizens, regardless of race, can buy land. As a foreigner you can buy a lease for property including a house on land under the Malaysian My Second home provisions. I have never been mugged or robbed there - or anywhere else. Bahasa Melayu is much easier to learn than Thai and is written in the "English" alphabet. But as almost everyone speaks English there is not much need for it - I use it sometimes in Indonesia (very similar language).

If you want a great social life join the Hash House Harriers (the drinking club with a running problem), in Malaysia or any other country. In KL there are many chapters with a mix of expats and locals - you will meet people from all over the world and the locals will tell you what is really happening in Malaysian business, society and politics.

I live in Bangkok now and really like it too. Which is best? They are very different cities, cultures, languages and both have challenges - but living in any "foreign" country has its rewards. I lived in Hong Kong too and would happily go back there.

I suggest if you want to try KL give it a couple of years before giving up - but the same applies anywhere.

I was the guy who stated Chinese and Indian Malays cannot own land. Thought I was right about that (obviously), but will look into it more. >>> A few times I ran and hung out with the Hash House Harrier cats on Langkawi. Nice group. But I would have drawn the line if they actually told me I had to drink the Tiger from my shoe.

If you want a great social life join the Hash House Harriers (the drinking club with a running problem), in Malaysia or any other country. In KL there are many chapters with a mix of expats and locals - you will meet people from all over the world and the locals will tell you what is really happening in Malaysian business, society and politics.

Uh, I run the Hash here in Siem Reap and I met some great people from the Malaysian Hashes. I also met some of the strangest Hashers ever. Chairs in the circle, showers after the Hash, make up....

KL has hollowed out you guys. The action has shifted to the suburbs. After office hours, nobody lives there anymore. But things starts to happen in non muslim neighbourhoods such as sunway, puchong, old klang road etc. Nothing like bangkok of course.You can still get the action along jalan P ramlee near KLCC or changkat bukit bintang but the frequent road blocks to nab drunk drivers sort of mellowed these places.

Drinks are expensive. And chinatown has become myanmar/bangladesh/nepal town during weekends. even the guys manning the stalls are not chinese.

Even the rock bands playing at hard rock cafe are indonesians.

Crime is a problem particularly snatch thieves/robbers on motorbikes. and taxis are the worst in the world according to survey.

but somehow, the arabs seems to like the place. and during peak arab season in summer, most major hotels are fully booked.

Malaysians now fly to Vietnam or jakarta for their action or to entertain clients.

KL has Muslims galore, expensive booze, therefore way less drinking & violent dangerous drunks roaming around than BKK. Win for KL.

KL has a nightlife that BKK doesn't have, e.g. nice ladies from VN, PI, Indo, PRC, & KL looking to hook up with you. KL wins again.

KL is more of a first world city in what is closer to a first world country than BKK or LOS. BKK loses once more.

KL has hollowed out you guys. The action has shifted to the suburbs. After office hours, nobody lives there anymore. But things starts to happen in non muslim neighbourhoods such as sunway, puchong, old klang road etc. Nothing like bangkok of course.You can still get the action along jalan P ramlee near KLCC or changkat bukit bintang but the frequent road blocks to nab drunk drivers sort of mellowed these places.

Drinks are expensive. And chinatown has become myanmar/bangladesh/nepal town during weekends. even the guys manning the stalls are not chinese.

Even the rock bands playing at hard rock cafe are indonesians.

Crime is a problem particularly snatch thieves/robbers on motorbikes. and taxis are the worst in the world according to survey.

but somehow, the arabs seems to like the place. and during peak arab season in summer, most major hotels are fully booked.

Malaysians now fly to Vietnam or jakarta for their action or to entertain clients.

Agree, KL is definitely the place to go if you want to hatch a gander of those sexy burka and chador glad Muslim women!

It depends on individual taste and what you as a tourist are looking for.

KL is much cleaner than BKK, less crowded, little, if any, street vendors (that's both a pro and a con depending on how you look at it), practically no hassle / rip offs but it is much more difficult to find a restaurant/eatery in KL that sells alcohol (which is more expensive than in BKK), no madness - which is something I love about BKK.

You could spend a few days in both cities and check them out for yourself. Flights are very reasonably priced.

No....I live in Hua Hin, and believe me it is easier to get there from Bangkok than KL...cheesy.gif .Plus, why would I buy a beer from a muslim?coffee1.gif

Because the muslim is selling the beer? When I stayed in Patong, the beer bar I favoured was managed by a gay muslim. The girls liked him, and he was a gentle caring chap who was kind to the soi cats and dogs. In Thailand's southern tourist zones of Patong and Krabi , there is a strong likelihood that it will be a muslim selling you the beer. Phuket is about 25% muslim isn't it?

• Like 1

Been to KL perhaps 5 or 6 times, usually as a few days stop over by train from Singapore to Butterworth (Penang). I was really pressed to find anything truly interesting and I walked all over the city. First time I saw the Oriental Express and they have a nice train station. biggrin.png But living there, I would go nuts without more variety. As others said, found hotel prices pretty steep in comparison to BKK. I don't regret having visited it at all for the experience though Penang was more interesting.

My ex Czech GF loves Thailand,Laos,Vietnam and most of S.E.A. but she went on a 3 week holiday to KL(and surroundings) recently and will never go again,

She(we are still friends) totally agrees about the soullessnes that has been mentioned,

but MUCH more seriously she got locked inside a park during a monsoon by a park warden who watched her walk in,the torrential rain was washing snakes down onto the path,and when she went to leave through a hole in the fence she was approached by three extremely dodgy looking blokes(they looked like they lived in the woods is the way she put it),one with a Machete,luckily my ex makes me look like a midget(and I'm a 6footer and 16 stone,I reckon she's about 6'4 and built like a bodybuilder),

and by maintaining her cool she got out of what could have been a life threatening situation,

when she caught up with the park warden(I wouldn't have liked to be him!),he first denied he locked the gate,then threatened to have her arrested for assault!(she never touched him by the way).

So,yeah,business only for me in KL,

I don't know WHERE the OP got his info from,but it is funny to see how wrong one's sources can be. whistling.gif

Edited by QualityTouristNumberOne

Does this mean you also wouldn't buy a condom from a catholic?

HerbalEd, I like your analogy, and will concede that point to youthumbsup.gif however, it would be off topic to go into the rights and wrongs of trying to drag the world back into the 1400's.

KL has Muslims galore, expensive booze, therefore way less drinking & violent dangerous drunks roaming around than BKK. Win for KL.

KL has a nightlife that BKK doesn't have, e.g. nice ladies from VN, PI, Indo, PRC, & KL looking to hook up with you. KL wins again.

KL is more of a first world city in what is closer to a first world country than BKK or LOS. BKK loses once more.

i) There's also the hordes of pissed up and dodgy Indians who can't hold their piss, marauding in gangs to watch out for.

ii) I went to a mates stag night out Mont Kiara way and they had some lovely 'hostesses' that were so expensive, we could only rent them for an hour and there was absolutely NO hanky panky, inferred or allowed.

iii) KL and Malaysia nearer 'first world'? That's their problem. They covet Singapore's status so bad it's laughable.

Used to use it a lot for my visa but now my wife refuses to go, would rather stay in our village......... says a lot about K. L.. It's ok for a one off three day stay after that your bored.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i) There's also the hordes of pissed up and dodgy Indians who can't hold their piss, marauding in gangs to watch out for.

ii) I went to a mates stag night out Mont Kiara way and they had some lovely 'hostesses' that were so expensive, we could only rent them for an hour and there was absolutely NO hanky panky, inferred or allowed.

iii) KL and Malaysia nearer 'first world'? That's their problem. They covet Singapore's status so bad it's laughable.

1. If they're like the "pissed up & dodgy Indian" hordes of Geylang in Singapore, then i consider them to be the equivalent of a Hello Kitty doll. Not exactly the barbarian "hordes" Rome met up with.

2. This is the extent of your knowledge of the Viets, PI, Indo, PRC, etc available to guys in KL? Beyond Thais, BKK has basicly nothing. BTW Viets in SG were way hotter than the Thai. Ditto for PRC.

3. If KL were a carbon copy of SG, i'd love it. I love BKK too, zits & all. SG is better in almost every way AFAICM, but BKK significantly cheaper.

Edited by oldthaihand99

It seems like the main reason some posters think Bangkok is better than KL is because of the bar girls and the more free flowing booze.

Perhaps for those reasons, but as someone who has never experienced the bar life in BKK (which is pretty predictable, cheezy and potentially dangerous anyway...so a girl comes up to you and says "you're so handsome" even if you're old, flatulent and ugly, like that's not the most obvious, dull remark one could make...they crowd around you vying for your attention in order to get your money or you end up in some bar where you get hit for thousands of Baht and are not allowed to leave if you don't settle the bill in what is a common bar scam, just watch "Scam City Bangkok" to see what I mean), I think it's worth comparing the good and bad of these two cities on other counts:

Nightlife (no, not girly bars, which are for old farts, but nightclubs, where the young, cool and flashy local in-crowd goes along with a smattering of younger expats and tourists): I've been to a lot of these in Bangkok but only managed to get a small taste in KL some years ago. Therefore I can't really compare, but likely Bangkok wins on this count due to more variety and more openness (Malaysia's conservative Muslim lawmakers don't like the idea of mixing nightclubs with booze and girls).

Infrastructure: KL. Bangkok has a decent infrastructure, but it's much too chaotic on many counts, you have the modern (multi-lane elevated highways) mixed in with the old which is not able to cope (like single lane sois which can barely accommodate two cars side by side heading in opposite directions). KL is just cleaner and more modern...having said that Bangkok is modern in many ways too...there's just too much of the old mixed in such that modern can not be applied as a metaphor to describe Bangkok in a strict sense - Bangkok is really just a mixture of the modern and the traditional, side by side.

Transport: KL. This is mainly because of Bangkok's horrendous traffic problems - although the Bangkok skytrain system is being expanded and once the masterplan has been completed, it will start to look quite impressive. That being said, last time I was in KL I rented a car and the traffic was almost as bad as Bangkok's. It took me well over an hour to drive a couple of blocks near KLCC, which is about the same amount of time you can spend trying to get anywhere if you're stuck on Sathorn, Rama IV, Sukhumvit or the Bang Na expressway heading towards the Port during rush hour.

English language ability: This one is obvious: KL, where even locals of the same ethnic group often use English amongst each other or at least code switch regularly. Not that I need to use English in Bangkok since I'm fluent in Thai, but I've noticed that English in Bangkok (and Thailand for that matter) is seen by most locals as a language for communicating with foreigners only and you tend to get a much better reception if you speak Thai, even in the most touristy parts of town. Thais never speak English with each other unless they're forced to (although interestingly many Thais don't mind typing English on facebook or text messages when communicating with each other, especially for short communications)...needless to say Thailand doesn't have any English corners.

Hotels: I stayed at some excellent hotels in KL when I was there except one dump known as the Intercontinental Kuala Lumpur, which had old, overpriced rooms and a musty smell and a mediocre breakfast buffet. So for sheer variety and value for money, Bangkok wins on this count.

Shopping: For shopping at malls and department stores, both cities offer more or less the same. Since I know Bangkok better and due to the many new shopping centers that have opened in Bangkok over the years and the likely larger number of malls, I'll give this one to Bangkok, but KL is pretty good for shopping too, especially KLCC.

Food: Both cities have a great variety of local and international food. However, due to the more multicultural make up of KL, you can find Chinese, Malay and Indian food everywhere. Anyway, much depends on what kind of food you like. I can't really pick a winner here, both cities offer a lot of good food!

Lastly, sightseeing: I don't understand what's said to be so appealing about sightseeing in Bangkok. You come to Bangkok for shopping, eating and nightlife (either nightclubs or the bar variety). Apart from that what else can you do? Temple hopping? That appeals to a certain type of visitor but really, most people don't come half way round the world for that...Thailand's beaches and up country cities such as Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai thus offer a whole lot more for visitors to do.

Case in point; a friend of mine from Norway who lives in China recently visited Malaysia and then travelled up through Samui, Bangkok, Chiang Mai and then finally back to China overland via northern Laos. He spent most of his time in Koh Tao diving, only a couple of days doing nothing but drinking and sitting around in Khao San road in Bangkok (he couldn't think of anything else to do here and I couldn't convince him for me to show him around) and then had a blast trekking in Chiang Mai.

KL is much the same though - after you've seen the twin towers what's left is shopping, eating and basically thinking about where to go and what to do after you leave KL.

Conclusion? Bangkok and KL are much the same in many ways. Which one you would choose depends on whether you can only visit one or both. if you live in BKK, it's obvious - for sheer variety and to see and experience something different you'll go to KL and vice versa. Which one is better for living? Again it depends - arguably Bangkok but probably I'm biased simply because I know BKK so much better.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

having lived in bkk for years and now iivng in kl for a year, i would say most definately bangkok is far superior in many ways. kl is a stinking fetid rathole full of rapists,thieves and scumbags.one cannot walk along the street with their spouse without being harrassed by indian cockroaches.no woman is safe after dark or even during the day.kl has nothing to offer at all.families get mugged at night even with small children.i am currently looking to have my condo lease taken over and to get the hell out of kl. as a christian and a white man in kl i am looked down on as dirt, and as my fiance is malay the people here treat us rather poorly.as far as i am concerned i cannot wait to move back to thailand and leave that city to slide into the sea.

Are you sure? OK, I haven't lived in KL, but I felt people there were quite accommodating and friendly towards me when I was there, didn't feel threatened or discriminated against. Besides, given the many ethnic groups that are quite distinct from each other, I figured that Malaysians would be quite OK with diversity - although one must always remember never to insult or make disparaging remarks about Islam. However, I do admit that I tended to be a bit more comfortable amongst the Chinese and Indians than the Malays, mainly due to their differing cultural values.

I can't help but notice Thais also looking down on westerners at times, especially if you go outside of the touristy areas' as nice as the people are in general but I feel the stares (not really outright stares as most people don't give us a second glance anywhere in the country anymore, I mean, Thailand isn't China) but I have the feeling that some people are like...oh, not another westerner! However, once you do get talking, people are very friendly so breaking down the barriers is what's needed as uncomfortable staring leads to wrong assumptions on both sides. Also, it just so happens that I live in an area of Bangkok with a significant Muslim population that, like their Malay counterparts aren't quite as friendly (or so it seems) as their Buddhist counterparts. Although I don't really hang out in any areas near where I live as there's not much of interest nearby, the atmosphere inside the local Tesco Lotus doesn't feel the same as elsewhere in the city...I don't know how to explain it other than by what I've just mentioned. The presence of fully veiled women is also a bit weird and doesn't fit in with the image of what I had of central Thailand...perhaps these people are transplanted southern ethnic Malay Thais, some of them at least?