British man’s “suicide” at Pattaya condominium

webfact

I feel really sorry for him.

If his wife left him for whatever reason (money or else), then she is not worth dying for.

15 years ago I was between 2 jobs for a year. It just took my Thai wife 6 months to leave me.

Also, why does the local press publish the poor man's suicide note?? This is personal.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RIP. - Re wife, there are plenty more where you found the 1st one, don't despair.

At last a sensible comment on Thai 'partners' - like you said they are everywhere, why top yourself. Problem with doing that is you cant change your mind! None of them are worth dying for!.

I feel really sorry for him.

If his wife left him for whatever reason (money or else), then she is not worth dying for.

15 years ago I was between 2 jobs for a year. It just took my Thai wife 6 months to leave me.

Also, why does the local press publish the poor man's suicide note?? This is personal.

Exactly how I have always looked at breakups, I have had plenty. If they think they can do better, let them get out there and try. Their loss is how I look at it.

• Like 1

so sad.RIP..

easy to build a new life if you have money..maybe he did not...so no money and no wife,,makes people a different person...

my wife left me after just 4 months of marriage..yes thai..was with her 6 years...also i was depressed...but i had money to recover...takes time,,but life goes on.

my heart is now locked..and no thai girl will ever open it..

rest in peace fellow...so sad

• Like 1

This is sad, and happens far too often, as a colleague used to say to me 'their for the grace of god go I'.

He obviously was not emotionally strong and went hook line and sinker for i presume a much younger thai girl, it broke him when she left, we shall never know the reasons, but it will continue to happen if these chaps come out expecting life changing romance and love.

The thai girls are 'hard' emotionally and she won't bat an eyelid at this.

A conselling service in Pattaya, phone service and then meetings to try and prevent this, so many do gooders out there ,expats helping poor thai's, i coul'nt list the number of charities out there , but what about your own .

RIP poor guy.

Edited by phanangpete
  • Like 1

Face life and try and find some positives and go on.We , the rest of us will never fully understand why some think this is their only option.

It's a function of perception. No two perceptions of reality are the same and it should not be presumed that those who perceive no value in a world of lies, violence, shame and imposition necessarily have the incorrect perception of reality. It's possible they're not as insane as we are. Toddlers lie to impress when they're fooled by the illusion (impressing) created by their own illusion (lying). No one is impressed, in reality; they merely appear to be. Toddlers lie for diplomacy. Call me crazy but conflict may ensue.

Life is foisted upon the unwilling and death is the undoing of that mistake. What we do in the meantime with our lives of suffering (denied) mightn't be as important as we are led to imagine. There are unperceived horrors, truths we are blind to (too close to home), terrors we choose not to face; we lick the scars of wounds that will never heal. In a world with no regard for reality (lies are nice and truth is rude in Polite Society), there are realities you would reject even if shown proof beyond all doubt. Such is the nature of early childhood insult, trauma suppression, denial of betrayal, coping mechanisms, Personal Myths, etc. Some would even project, lashing out at the source of their imagined pain by shooting the messenger (I've heard they do that here).

It's illogical to presume our perception is more accurate than the reality perceived by those who see value in leaving us. They weren't a problem for us, we were a problem for them. When an 8yo in Mexico commits suicide, is something wrong with her or is something wrong with us?

When 8yo children hang themselves and 29,000 toddlers die / day, something's wrong with us.

Why is it that people here commit suicide by throwing themselves off of balconys..

When you can have a bottle of brandy with loads of sleeping pills, its not as painless and certainly not as messy.

Why is it that people here commit suicide by throwing themselves off of balconys..

When you can have a bottle of brandy with loads of sleeping pills, its not as painless and certainly not as messy.

But not as quick.

Suicide is stigmatised by those who need slaves for martyrdom, which is glorified. Why are they afraid to give us the Right to go? Stigma is conditioned into children to nullify a perceived threat to those with the power to stigmatise. Bastards (or whoresons) were actually lucky in birth only for their lives to be destroyed by the illegitimate stigma of Polite Society's hatred of babies born out of wedlock. To be or not to be, that is The Question and I'm with the Bard.

For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make

Stigma can be reverse-engineered to give us their perception of our answer to The Question. Those who brought us here To Be make death traumatic and stigmatise suicide afraid that if they didn't, we would choose Not To Be. An argument can be made that when you're made to stay, it's time to go.

As men do not understand women, so women do not understand men. When one door closes another is always there to open. You just have to open it.

R.I.P.

I understand women (more than any woman I've come across, at least) but only because humans cannot see themselves. We need mirrors but we are blind in a world of perfidy.

As for doors closing and opening, is love evil or a virtue? Everyone knows love blinds so pick one and stick with it. If love is evil, there are implications for Humanity's children. If love is a virtue, then don't talk about doors opening and closing as if you were oblivious to the fact that love doesn't care about those doors. Love cares about The One and Only door protecting an eroded Self from facing a harsh world alone. If you're shut out in the cold when that door slams shut...

So what is love? Evil or a virtue? You can't have your cake and eat it.

Could that have been because money problems? No more money? Thai wife get up and leave, man kill self...

Why do people assume that all Thai women marry a man for money? just because a few deluded fools fall for some bar girl who sees money as no 1, i know a guy who is very ill and has little money ,but his wife has nursed and cared for the poor sod for years and will be devastated when he finally goes ,he is her life and she is Thai and from a poor familly.

A little gem found in an ocean of sadness. I only wish this poor man had had a similar spouse.

• Like 1

....one would think that....'giving your all'......would stand for something.......

...unfortunately.....more often than not.....it's never enough.....

.....no love.......and quick to forget their meagre beginnings........never grateful.......

....sad........

....I guess it's not hard to calculate who ends up with everything in the end.....

....I wish they would change these inhumane laws......

....an equal playing field.....some rights for foreigners......could not hurt....

RIP. - Re wife, there are plenty more where you found the 1st one, don't despair.

Exactly.............there are 800,000 Bar girls in Thailand..........if you want to go down that route

Alternatively do the wise thing and find a respectable girl.......

If you feel that "low".......go to the hospital and visit children with terminal health problems.....and think yourself lucky that you have only a "broken heart"

Or go to the Father Ray foundation and see the smiling faces on the unfortunate disabled people, who are accepting their fate and still enjoying themselves

Or call the Samaritans

RIP

In other words, "stop feeling sorry for yourself"? There is no need for such banal insensitivity, you know nothing of that mans circumstances and clearly have no understanding of the pressure that depression can cause. For all you know his problems may have been worse than those you mentioned.

Totally Wrong

My post was aimed at the other unfortunate people who may be feeling the same as him right now

How can you say that his problems may have been worse than a child who is terminally ill....

I was not rejoicing on the fact that he took his life .....on the contrary I was sympathetic ......but he had 62 years of life.....presumably lived how he wanted..... and these kids lives are over before they start

From what I read his neighbour said he had been heavily drinking since his wife left (does that not tell you something)................

And let me tell you this...anyone who turns to drink for answers....the only thing that they will find at the bottom of a bottle of alcohol ...is the top of the next bottle...

And yes I know all about depression.....and the answer is...try to.stop feeling sorry for yourself....and make yourself positive......and don't be afraid to ask people to help.........lots of us are willing to help one way or another

Edited by DD13

Could that have been because money problems? No more money? Thai wife get up and leave, man kill self...

Why do people assume that all Thai women marry a man for money? just because a few deluded fools fall for some bar girl who sees money as no 1, i know a guy who is very ill and has little money ,but his wife has nursed and cared for the poor sod for years and will be devastated when he finally goes ,he is her life and she is Thai and from a poor familly.

Why do people assume that all Thai women marry a man for money?

did you forget the word ¨farang¨ / ¨farang man¨ in that sentence or did you avoid it to can expose your theory?

Yes surelly still have some case like the one you did present but unfortunalety it´s not the norm, it´s the exception

Suicide has many different reasons. Sadly, the ones left are the ones who carry the burden of guilt, loss, anger, guessing games or peace. My brother committed suicide about 3 years ago. He was facing the possibility of spending the rest of his life in prison. I found him in his garage hanging. I tried to reach him a few days before up to the day of his death with no luck. Obviously. I was at peace with it because I knew of his concern and his life in prison along with the embarrassment of his family would have been unbearable for him.

Then, last year my lover of 9 years committed suicide. Our relationship was full of enjoyable times through adventures and yearly trips. Our only argument was over his binge drinking to the point of becoming comatose. Otherwise we seemed to be symbiotic. He often told me that he would die without me. He was a safeguard for his mother probably too much.

He went on a drinking binge and was unreachable after my return from the states. He missed my arrival and when he finally called he was drunk. He came to the condo 3 days later seemingly fine again. But the next night he insisted on returning to Bangkok because of flooding and his mother needed him. I was angry with him and gave him some money in disgust and told him to go. That was the last time I saw him. He called about 10 days later saying he loved me. I barely recall what my reaction was. I tried calling him with no answer or the phone was shut down. Called his mother and she had not reached him either. Another few days later she called and said he was found hanging in his room.

Though I have no suicidal thoughts over this, I grieve his loss and remember the great times we had. His mother lost her only child that paid any attention to her. I wonder why he did it. Was it his fear of my leaving his over his drinking. Or was it something else? Was it done in a drunken stupor not realizing the ramifications.

Suicide has many victims. One can shake their heads and think what a dumb idiot. They can think of the suffering that person must have felt. Their hearts can go out to loved ones who are left to wonder. I read that suicide is common in Thailand for their men. I think that a sense of depression along with a belief of unbearable loss comes into play whereas even ones intellect takes a back seat to an answer. Grief takes over to the point that they believe anything is better then what they are feeling at the moment. The solution to this dilemma has to do with understanding the physiology of the brain, not excluding a support system giving them a way back.

• Like 1

This is sad, and happens far too often, as a colleague used to say to me 'their for the grace of god go I'.

'there, but for the grace of god, go I'.

Or I think it was orson welles of whom it was said 'There, but for the grace of god, goes god'

If Mr. Atkins were suffering from the agony of 3rd stage colon cancer, no one would criticize his action. Maybe he was suffering a greater emotional pain. It was his choice and I respect it. Suicide is an intelligent, brave, and honorable solution many problems when it is arrived at after careful considerations of all options.

Suicide is pretty much the most selfish act a human being can carry out.

'In my opinion'

Edited by DekDaeng