Elton John to marry longtime partner

webfact

Why not sooner???? Furnish is Canadian and it's been legal since 2005 there. We were the fourth country to legalize same-sex marriage and actually, the first to accept one spouse not having to be from the legalizing country. So with John being British, they could have done it easily. No news here.

I guess you'd have to ask the happy couple!

It's a good question I suppose.

Only a guess, but Elton being British and the power half of the couple, perhaps preferred to keep everything English.

Also British civil unions before carried the same legal rights as marriage anyway, so there was no compelling legal reason for their FAMILY (with the two children that THEY HAVE TOGETHER) to go Canuck.

Cheers.

I agree Canada is to be congratulated for being early in this. As a southern neighbor, we look up to y'all. Literally.clap2.gif

It's worth pointing out that huge credit must go to the slightly unlikely figure of PM David Cameron who pushed the legalisation of same sex marriage and overcame significant opposition from within his own party in parliament and the country..A good example of leadership and I note his integrity, and perhaps more importantly persistence, on this matter has been praised by many.

Indeed. He had more to lose than gain politically by doing it but went ahead anyway.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100265662/the-gay-marriage-fight-had-no-benefits-for-david-cameron-thats-why-he-should-be-proud-of-it/

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Elton John is a fraud and a hypocrite. If he's so proud to be gay, why did he throw up a smoke screen and marry Renata, a German lady in 1986? Conveniently forgotten? I wish that these 'famous' gay people would stop throwing their sexuality in our faces, why do we want to know? We don't see all and sundry spouting that they're proud to be heterosexual, so do us all a favour and put a ****ing sock in it.

Somewhat harsh. The song 'Someone saved my life tonight' alludes to him contemplating suicide over doubts he had about marrying his then girlfriend Linda Woodrow back in 1969. I suspect Elton John was always conflicted about his sexual preferences aside from the impact it may have had on public opinion of him. I would say conflicted or living in denial were more accurate that to call him a fraud. Obviously any conflicts are now well and truly in the past now.

P.S I can't stand his later music, but some of the early stuff was outstanding.

Edited by Steely Dan

Unfortunately the comments are typical Telegraph laugh.png

Meaning what? The tired mantra of the Daily Torygraph is a little passé and there is now some excellent journalism in it.Incidentally in case you didn't know Dan Hodges is the son of Glenda Jackson!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Meaning what? The tired mantra of the Daily Torygraph is a little passé and there is now some excellent journalism in it.Incidentally in case you didn't know Dan Hodges is the son of Glenda Jackson!

Here's a few. BTW I had no idea who Dan Hodges was related to. Is that supposed to make a difference?

"Homosexual marriage goes against everything diversity and respect for individual rights stands for."
"In fact gay marriage is just PC gone mad. Nothing is supposed to be better or worse - just equal - and the vociferous gay lobbies have jumped onto the bandwaggon. We'll be having to change the dictionary next, to take out all qualifying adjectives so that we are left with "the same" (old!) and "equal". I think Shakespeare may be laughing."
"Perhaps also David had on his mind that timeless adage and truth 'Better a living bugger than a buried prime minister'."
"Rubbish, let's upset the applecart to please a minority of a minority of 1.5% , all because theEU said so, this is the end of Great Britain!"
"The man's insane if he believes that : the relationship between a same sex couple can ever be held as equivalent to that of a heterosexual couple. And to teach children that it is ,is the most regressive piece of legislation, I can think that has ever been passed.
We don't teach children that 1+1 = 3 or that 2+2 = 3, since it is only 1+2 or 2+1 that = 3."
"Well I suppose in these modern times we should all be more tolerant and compassionate. After all, buggers can't be choosers."
Edited by sustento

Here's a few. BTW I had no idea who Dan Hodges was related to. Is that supposed to make a difference?

"Homosexual marriage goes against everything diversity and respect for individual rights stands for."

"In fact gay marriage is just PC gone mad. Nothing is supposed to be better or worse - just equal - and the vociferous gay lobbies have jumped onto the bandwaggon. We'll be having to change the dictionary next, to take out all qualifying adjectives so that we are left with "the same" (old!) and "equal". I think Shakespeare may be laughing."

"Perhaps also David had on his mind that timeless adage and truth 'Better a living bugger than a buried prime minister'."

"Rubbish, let's upset the applecart to please a minority of a minority of 1.5% , all because theEU said so, this is the end of Great Britain!"

"The man's insane if he believes that : the relationship between a same sex couple can ever be held as equivalent to that of a heterosexual couple. And to teach children that it is ,is the most regressive piece of legislation, I can think that has ever been passed.

We don't teach children that 1+1 = 3 or that 2+2 = 3, since it is only 1+2 or 2+1 that = 3."

"Well I suppose in these modern times we should all be more tolerant and compassionate. After all, buggers can't be choosers."

These quotes aren't from Dan Hodge's article just some nutty commentators.Most reader comments are bizarre; check out the Guardian for craziness.

My reference to Dan Hodge's mum was a fun fact only.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

These petty nitpicks are just mean spirited. Nobody is suggesting by that wording that they BIOLOGICALLY coupled to BIOLOGICALLY produce those two children. They obviously didn't do that.

In my condo, I HAVE a television. I did not give birth to it. You can infer that.

Well, Biologically it is possible, with 2 Surrogate Mothers, or 1 mother at 2 different times. Hell! Even with one mother who gives her fertilized egg to another mother. So Elton and his Partner can both be BIOLOGICAL Fathers even from the same woman. Just not the Biological Mother.

But it is about time Gays were recognized in this way and we stopped sweeping it under the rug. I am not big for it, or against it. But I am also not Gay, so why should it be important to me? But as a fare person I do think they should have equal rights like any other tax payer. If this is what they want they should have it. But I hope they realize that with equal marriage rights also comes equal problems, such as Divorce. Some also being very unique!

For example I read a story once about a Lesbian Married Couple who wanted to have children. They both went to the Sperm Bank to find the ideal father and then both tried to impregnate themselves with his sperm. But only one of the two women became pregnant and had a child. They only wanted one child so the other woman stopped trying.

But a few years later things went South, as one of the women, with child, found a new partner. So they decided to get a Divorce. This was the start of a very long, drawn out, and expensive legal battle. The division of property and child was the easy issue to resolve. They split everything 50/50 and the woman with child got to keep the child while the other woman got very liberal visitation rights.

But a huge problem started when the woman with child wanted another child, but this time with her new partner. As she also wanted to use the same fathers sperm, which makes good common sense. This is because when she had another child, both of her children would be of the same mother and father. So perhaps look a lot alike, have similar characteristics, and also be related by blood as well.

But a problem arose as this woman found out that this man no longer donated to the Sperm Bank anymore as he Retired. They also would never reveal his name or information about him, for her to get more. But on the bright side there was still 3 Vials of his Sperm left, in cold storage, which was purchased by her and her now X. As it was never used at that time as it wasn't needed after she got pregnant.

So she thought she could use this left over Sperm and this was the start of the legal battle.Her X flatly refused her from using this and got a Court Order preventing her from trying. Since she would not be involved in parenting this second child, she did not what this second child to look like and be like her only child. Maybe still pissed-off at her X to. So the only way they could settle this was to go to court, which took a long time to come to a judgment.

So there you have it boys! No matter what, women will always need us for something at least. Also a typical Divorce but this time 2 people fighting over something we would never have dreamt of 10 years ago. That is 2 women fighting over a Mans Sperm, who neither of them ever slept with, but both tried to get pregnant by him. Welcome to the 21st Century!

But what interested me the most is the Man who stopped giving to the Sperm Bank. The women were told that he would not be giving anymore Sperm as he Retired! So now I am forced to go back over my life to see the big mistakes I made in my choice of work. I guess I should have gone to the Sperm Bank a couple times a week like him, and Retired in my 40's to!

Anyway, here is how this Court Case ended. Like everything else they had owned together, they were told they have to split this Sperm between them 50/50. But I am not sure if they will appeal this decision. After all, how to you split 3 Vials of Sperm between 2 women 50/50?

But good For You Elton! Not sure what you would fight over if you got Divorced later, but damned sure it won't be this.

Hum?

Or could it be this to?

. . . .

Will these now gay marriages be entitled to lower tax rates in UK?

People here keep saying there is no legal difference between British civil unions and British marriage, except for the word marriage. Now same sex couples there can marry, enter a civil union, or NOTHING. In any case, same sex married people in Britain will of course be under the same taxation rules as all those married there.

Edited by Jingthing

With most new cases of UK native HIV occurring in the homosexual community, which has always been the case, and with the additional clause which forbids homosexuals from divorcing on grounds of cavorting with all and sundry, maybe this will help to lower their transmission of STD's. I suspect that, given homosexual promiscuity rates, alternative pretexts for divorce may be sought. If I'm wrong then that can only be a good thing as far as that goes.

Looking at the bigger picture in the UK, we are currently seeing the total collapse of the traditional national church and it's replacement by, and subservience to, the continuing Frankfurtian counter-cultural revolution which first gathered steam in the 60's; and for which the Beatles and others were useful idiots at that time. The upshot being an accelerated breakdown of social-cohesion which has cleared the way for, as well as the many pseudo-egalitarian self-advocacy groups, a much more cohesive, single-minded, and barbaric civilisation to take its place.

Enjoy your marriage whilst it lasts, Reginald Dwight, and be thankful that you couldn't produce genetic offspring who would grow up to pay the price of Islamic colonisation - itself enabled by the same weakness and societal breakdown which set the scene for same-sex marriage. Western birthrates are already too low to sustain the civilisation. Muslim birthrates are much, much, higher. Your final battle will not be in the courts.

With most new cases of UK native HIV occurring in the homosexual community, which has always been the case, and with the additional clause which forbids homosexuals from divorcing on grounds of cavorting with all and sundry, maybe this will help to lower their transmission of STD's. I suspect that, given homosexual promiscuity rates, alternative pretexts for divorce may be sought. If I'm wrong then that can only be a good thing as far as that goes.

Looking at the bigger picture in the UK, we are currently seeing the total collapse of the traditional national church and it's replacement by, and subservience to, the continuing Frankfurtian counter-cultural revolution which first gathered steam in the 60's; and for which the Beatles and others were useful idiots at that time. The upshot being an accelerated breakdown of social-cohesion which has cleared the way for, as well as the many pseudo-egalitarian self-advocacy groups, a much more cohesive, single-minded, and barbaric civilisation to take its place.

Enjoy your marriage whilst it lasts, Reginald Dwight, and be thankful that you couldn't produce genetic offspring who would grow up to pay the price of Islamic colonisation - itself enabled by the same weakness and societal breakdown which set the scene for same-sex marriage. Western birthrates are already too low to sustain the civilisation. Muslim birthrates are much, much, higher. Your final battle will not be in the courts.

I've got the answer for your eccentric concerns.

Send in Putin to design a gay propaganda campaign for Britain to get all the Muslim dudes to gay marry each other.

Sorted!

BTW, I prefer my Frankfurter with spicy deli mustard!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I've got the answer for your eccentric concerns.

Send in Putin to design a gay propaganda campaign for Britain to get all the Muslim dudes to gay marry each other.

Sorted!

BTW, I prefer my Frankfurter with spicy deli mustard!

"Frankfurtian counter cultural revolution".....(!?)

Given Escapologist's obvious issues he must be referring to the esteemed Dr Frank N Furter and Brad's comeuppance....

These quotes aren't from Dan Hodge's article just some nutty commentators.Most reader comments are bizarre; check out the Guardian for craziness.

That's why my post read "Unfortunately the comments are typical Telegraph laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png"...

Looking at the bigger picture in the UK, we are currently seeing the total collapse of the traditional national church and it's replacement by, and subservience to, the continuing Frankfurtian counter-cultural revolution

You like sausage too? Join the club cheesy.gif

• Like 2

They'll have the same privileges and responsibilities as other married couples. That's why they call it 'equality'.

Having been shafted twice via the UK divorce courts i'm curious as to how far 'equality' will reach when applied to a same sex couple, especially if they're b-b-blokes!

Edited by evadgib

They'll have the same privileges and responsibilities as other married couples. That's why they call it 'equality'.

Having been shafted twice via the UK divorce courts i'm curious as to how far 'equality' will reach when applied to a same sex couple, especially if they're b-b-blokes!

So you're afraid British gays might be getting "special" rights that straights don't have? Interesting. Gives me an idea now. Financial REPARATIONS to older British gays who had to suffer institutionalized persecution when homosexuality was criminalized there.

Oh yeh, I loved my mums boobs, gave me comfort, for a long time. What do these guys do for that maternal comfort...........?

Oh yeh, I loved my mums boobs, gave me comfort, for a long time. What do these guys do for that maternal comfort...........?

Not sure what you're asking there. Are you talking about babies of gay male couples where there are no lady breasts in da house, or something else? Most gay male couples don't have kids anyway, Some do of course.

I was talking about their rights and responsibilities under the law which will be the same as all other married couples. If you want to fantasise about your mother's breasts fill your boots but it has nothing at all to do with my post.

• Like 1

I fantasies about nothing Endy, something you will never understand about a kids bond with his or her mum, fed up with folk like yourself twisting stuff for YOUR stuff. I care about kids and an upbringing with a mum and dad. Very simple.