Action stunt leaves fleeing Phuket thief with broken neck

webfact

Action stunt leaves fleeing Phuket thief with broken neck
Phuket Gazette

1_2014331153226617_OJZsUwRjWKelgxXGTsKoe
Mr Mongkolchai was trying to jump from one apartment building to the next to escape his knife-wielding pursuer when he fell four floors. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- A man broke his neck after falling from the fourth floor of a Phuket apartment building while trying to escape two women who caught him red-handed stealing from their room.

Patong Police were notified at about 1pm yesterday that 32-year-old Mongkolchai Na-Tawan had fallen after trying to jump from a fourth-floor room in one apartment building into another room in the next building over on Ratpatanusorn Road.

“When we arrived at the scene, we found Mr Mongkolchai wailing on the ground, bleeding. He broke his neck in the fall,” said Lt Col Khunnadet Na Nongkhai of the Patong Police.

Kritsana Sangnurak and Whanjai Wetpana had come home that day to find Mr Mongkolchai rummaging through their things.

“When we returned from shopping, I saw a man stealing from our room. He was trying to take 40,000 baht worth of gold, 15,000 baht in cash, a laptop and an iPad,” Ms Kritsana explained.

“When he saw us he tried to run away, so I grabbed a knife and chased him toward the window. He was trying to jump from our room into a room in the next building over. Unfortunately, he could not make the jump and fell down into the street.”

Rescue workers treated Mr Mongkolchai at the scene before transferring him to Patong Hospital.

“He was charged with theft,” said Lt Col Khunnadet.

— Thawit Bilabdullar

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Action-stunt-leaves-fleeing-Phuket-thief-broken/29003

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-03-31

• Like 1

"Unfortunately, he could not make the jump and fell down into the street.”

Not sure about the "unfortunately" part.

I'll assume the space in the picture is between the apartments? Can't be more than 60cm. Who can't jump 60cm?

Mongkolchai Na-Tawanbiggrin.png

• Like 1

Some really sad creatures here on the board who finds joy in another human beings misery sad.png !!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So you belive that he was in the right yes, I'm sure if this was your apartment and he would have got away with all your belongings you would have said well at least he did'nt hurt him self getting away.....

I don't like burglars and petty theft criminals more than any other, but I believe the joy that some members here on TV express in instances like this is disgusting.

I'm glad that none of us is a part of any juridical system anywhere rolleyes.gif !!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We have all had something stolen by low lifes.

Although I don't agree with the guy.

I understand him!

"Unfortunately, he could not make the jump and fell down into the street.”

I'll assume the space in the picture is between the apartments? Can't be more than 60cm. Who can't jump 60cm?

32-year-old Mongkolchai Na-Tawan, obviously.

"Unfortunately, he could not make the jump and fell down into the street.

I can't make the same assumption based on a closeup photograph and limited information. The mechanics of the fall are curious, but I am more focused on the crime, the victim(s) and the injuries.