Chiang Mai -vs- Ecuador

chiangmaicondo

Looking to get feedback from people who have spent time in Ecuador.

How would you compare to Thailand and mostly to Chiang Mai?

Looking for back up plans in case the sh----t hits the fan.

Thanks for your input.... IF you have been to Ecuador in the past few years and can provide valid input.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would recommend Ecuador over Thailand in a second and more specifically Cuenca over Chiang Mai. Main reasons for me - climate, people, food, culture with about the same cost of living numbers.

Only problem is it will cost you some serious pesos to fly over for a visit to decide if you like it so there are some major expenses involved unlike if you were considering somewhere closer like Cambodia or the PI. If you got the funds though, definitely worth checking out.

For anyone who has applied for a residency visa for Ecuador who lived in Thailand before then, can you explain (in detail if possible) how you got the fully apostled police clearance form from Thailand that was accepted by Ecuador immigration? This seems to me to be quite difficult. Some good news on that, the report can now be as old as 6 months (changed from 3 months). This specialized info is not readily available from Ecuador oriented sites as so few people come there after living in Thailand. There's plenty of clear info on doing this for the U.S., but these reports are required for any country you've lived in for FIVE YEARS before applying for residency in Ecuador.

Edited by Jingthing

Would recommend Ecuador over Thailand in a second and more specifically Cuenca over Chiang Mai. Main reasons for me - climate, people, food, culture with about the same cost of living numbers.

Only problem is it will cost you some serious pesos to fly over for a visit to decide if you like it so there are some major expenses involved unlike if you were considering somewhere closer like Cambodia or the PI. If you got the funds though, definitely worth checking out.

How about the ladies, Cuenca vs CM?

Do you currently live in CM or Cuenca? Photos of Cuenca look interesting.

Resident expats up to ages 60 or 65 can apparently sign up for Ecuador's excellent healthcare system for only $70/month. No need to be employed, no pre-existing condition clauses, no deductibles, transfer to private hospital if necessary (at no extra charge), lifetime coverage. There is even talk of removing the upper age limit. But like Chiang Mai's failed attempt at expat coverage, details are sketchy and may vary depending on who you ask.

Other advantages of Ecuador: moderate climate, cleaner air, easier language, official currency = USD. But I'm sure there are disadvantages as well.

It would be nice to get a report from someone who's lived in both Chiang Mai and Ecuador for at least a year. IMHO, Chiang Mai will still come up on top (unless the political situation explodes here). But it's good to have a plan "B." as things can change very quickly.

Well it is certainly obvious the political system here in Thailand is taking it's toll with forigners. But it seems to me that it is not uncommon to hear of political unrest in south America how is the political situation in Equator?

Well it is certainly obvious the political system here in Thailand is taking it's toll with forigners

At which time in the past did Thailand have a great political system though? :rolleyes:

And, in which ways is it talking a toll differently than at any time in the past?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I would love to hear about Ecuador from a long time expat who can compare it to Chiang Mai. Please write back. Ecuador took a gamble on making the US dollar its currency. It's worked out wonderfully and I wonder if part of the thinking was that when the SHTF the powers that be can't screw with us because we don't have a national currency. When the US withdrew 23 million dollars in aid to Ecuador in December, Ecuador said, "That's fine. In fact, we'd like to offer you 23 million in aid."

As for Ecuadorian women.

post-118093-0-05233200-1396331315_thumb.

Edited by luther

Got the funds...

Leaving Thailand on Thursday 3 April...

Heading to Central and South America looking for Plan B.

Will check out Cuenca when we get to Ecuador.

Planning on staying at least one month to check things out.

Thanks for your input.

If you like warmer weather and the beach check out Manta which would be my choice.

For anyone who has applied for a residency visa for Ecuador who lived in Thailand before then, can you explain (in detail if possible) how you got the fully apostled police clearance form from Thailand that was accepted by Ecuador immigration? This seems to me to be quite difficult. Some good news on that, the report can now be as old as 6 months (changed from 3 months). This specialized info is not readily available from Ecuador oriented sites as so few people come there after living in Thailand. There's plenty of clear info on doing this for the U.S., but these reports are required for any country you've lived in for FIVE YEARS before applying for residency in Ecuador.

How about getting the clearance form completed at the Royal Thai Police Headquarters in Bangkok and then taking it to the Ecuador Consulate in Bangkok.

It would take you a week to find a group (of locals) this ugly in CM.

Care to share your photo?

Beauty also comes from within and the Ecuadorians are truly beautiful people in more ways than one. Ask anyone who has spent time in both Thailand and Ecuador which one they prefer overall and there should be a clear winner. A clue for you since you probably need one, is the answer isn't Thailand.

I graduated from college in Ecuador and lived there for about a year (this was about 10 years ago). I can tell you Ecuador is so much better than Thailand in terms of people and culture. They are genuine and welcoming there and I made good friends with the locals. After living in Thailand for around three years I have almost an opposite feeling about the locals here.

Thailand is better on a superficial level in the sense that it has more conveniences, restaurant variety, etc. But people in Ecuador are so much better, it's just a better climate overall.

I speak Spanish fluently. While I wouldn't call my Thai fluent, I can have a conversation and read and write.

I graduated from college in Ecuador and lived there for about a year (this was about 10 years ago). I can tell you Ecuador is so much better than Thailand in terms of people and culture. They are genuine and welcoming there and I made good friends with the locals. After living in Thailand for around three years I have almost an opposite feeling about the locals here.

Thailand is better on a superficial level in the sense that it has more conveniences, restaurant variety, etc. But people in Ecuador are so much better, it's just a better climate overall.

I speak Spanish fluently. While I wouldn't call my Thai fluent, I can have a conversation and read and write.

Your language proficiency clearly explains your preference.

Your language proficiency clearly explains your preference.

Nonsense. I speak better Thai than 90% of foreigners here (obviously an unscientific survey). My Thai is good enough to read newspaper articles, looking up every 10 words or so. My girlfriend is Thai and we only speak Thai together.

It is based on the culture and the way I feel especially in Ecuador and in other South American countries to an extent. I feel like Ecuadorians are really receptive and genuine people.

Edited by DavidMavec

From BBC

In the last four years the city of Cuenca in Ecuador has experienced an influx of pensioners from parts of the developed world such as the USA and Canada.

It follows coverage in a number of international magazines praising it for its beauty and low cost of living.

Although the newcomers have fuelled a construction boom, some Cuencanos fear they are inflating property prices and are upset at being priced out of the market.

There is always a danger that things can backfire, when this sort of thing happens in paradise.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

Interesting comment, thanks for sharing. Your willingness to learn the local language in both destinations speaks highly of you.

Just one question if it's not too personal.... what made you come to Thailand, and are you planning to go back to Ecuador at some point?