Prime example of idiocy caught on cam

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, the bloke is a tosser. Should not be on a machine that is waaaaaaaaaaay beyond his gray cell capability...............coffee1.gif

I beg to differ. A lot of us (myself included) are on machines beyond our capability. It's not the machine that counts, it's the rider. We should not ride beyond our capability, especially on the streets. The track is another matter. That's where we go to find the limits of our capabilities and in so doing, raise our capability level.

• Like 2

Yep, the bloke is a tosser. Should not be on a machine that is waaaaaaaaaaay beyond his gray cell capability...............coffee1.gif

Plenty of them in Thailand....some on here even..

Says the fool who does not even own a scooter. Back to the drunkards forums with you showgirl

I liked your lipstick on a pig better avatar. I will see if I can get you the shit from Shinola polish avatar....perfect for posers like yourself that enjoy polishing up turds & admiring how beautiful crap really is.

Edited by Beardog
  • Like 1

Looks like Scotland. What a tosser. If you are going to risk your own life that's fine, don't drive on the wrong side of the road around a blind bend.

I don't think that he was intentionally driving on the wrong side of the road :D

Plenty of them in Thailand....some on here even..

Says the fool who does not even own a scooter. Back to the drunkards forums with you showgirl

I liked your lipstick on a pig better avatar. I will see if I can get you the shit from Shinola polish avatar....perfect for posers like yourself that enjoy polishing up turds & admiring how beautiful crap really is.

Oh look...like a rat to cheese...

I beg to differ. A lot of us (myself included) are on machines beyond our capability. It's not the machine that counts, it's the rider. We should not ride beyond our capability, especially on the streets. The track is another matter. That's where we go to find the limits of our capabilities and in so doing, raise our capability level.

WHAT, read my post again..........rolleyes.gif

It's a pretty good advertisement for Alpinestars suits/boots and Shoei helmets.

This is a classic example of how you have to train yourself to often act in a counterintuitive manner on a bike (i.e. not slowing down when on the surface it seems like the best course of action)- he didn't get into the corner too hot at all (as far as his bike/speed were concerned- obviously his skills were another matter) but he panicked and rolled off the gas (and probably hit the brakes), which forced him to go too wide- had he stayed on the throttle, he would have made the turn without a problem.

"It's a pretty good advertisement for Alpinestars suits/boots and Shoei helmets."

Shhh..... some posters are adamant that a 500 Bht helment (or even no helmet at all) would be more than sufficient smile.png

Some might well say that, but i for one have never seen it on TV forum,,why don't you show us such post?

^

I'm not inclined to name the poster or dig up the post, but it was said as recently as last week (though I believe 800 baht was the actual number for a 'quality' helmet).wink.png

Fine if he did so..i never saw it...but you must respect that if that was his choice,then that's exactly what it is...his choice...wai2.gif

Edited he posted whilst i was editing this,,

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 1

This is a classic example of how you have to train yourself to often act in a counterintuitive manner on a bike (i.e. not slowing down when on the surface it seems like the best course of action)- he didn't get into the corner too hot at all (as far as his bike/speed were concerned- obviously his skills were another matter) but he panicked and rolled off the gas (and probably hit the brakes), which forced him to go too wide- had he stayed on the throttle, he would have made the turn without a problem.

"It's a pretty good advertisement for Alpinestars suits/boots and Shoei helmets."

Shhh..... some posters are adamant that a 500 Bht helment (or even no helmet at all) would be more than sufficient smile.png

Some might well say that, but i for one have never seen it on TV forum,,why don't you show us such post?

Check out the thread entitled "Expensive Helmet necessary for slow riding?"

^^

It has nothing to do with 'respecting' a choice (though in this case it was an expressed opinion, which makes it open to critique)- you said you had never seen such a sentiment expressed on TV, and it indeed has been (not that you have any need or responsibility to read every post- I don't either;)).

Edited by RubberSideDown

I'm stickin' by my 199B helmet!

Good on yer!! Better than the helmet below

post-143305-0-57020400-1396423961_thumb.

• Like 1

I don't look at this guy as an idiot or 'tosser' (if my assumption is correct and he's a newb)- he just didn't realize that it takes more than the ability to twist a throttle to properly and skillfully ride a motorcycle.

I definitely did a few things in my beginning days that make me cringe to think about, and that I'm lucky to have escaped unscathed- it was only when I realized how much I didn't know that I sought guidance and additional training (and I was fortunate enough to have it available). Suddenly, some 'mysteries' became solved, and I improved (without having ever ridden off a cliff:)).

'Glass houses' and all that (at least in my case...wink.png)

Seems like you have more sympathy for this guy (who recklessly endangers the life of other people) than you do for people who make an informed choice in respect of their own safety equipment. Strange logic.

• Like 1

I don't look at this guy as an idiot or 'tosser' (if my assumption is correct and he's a newb)- he just didn't realize that it takes more than the ability to twist a throttle to properly and skillfully ride a motorcycle.

I definitely did a few things in my beginning days that make me cringe to think about, and that I'm lucky to have escaped unscathed- it was only when I realized how much I didn't know that I sought guidance and additional training (and I was fortunate enough to have it available). Suddenly, some 'mysteries' became solved, and I improved (without having ever ridden off a cliff:)).

'Glass houses' and all that (at least in my case...wink.png)

Seems like you have more sympathy for this guy (who recklessly endangers the life of other people) than you do for people who make an informed choice in respect of their own safety equipment. Strange logic.

Nice try, Jonny- been waiting for an opportunity, have you?;)

My problem from the other thread (from which you still have a problem, apparently) came from what were mostly uninformed choices and the ignorance of easily available information (not in my 'opinion', but in reality as far as the efficacy of the equipment being discussed)- you're right, though, I don't have much sympathy for much of what was posted as it wasn't deserving of it- make your choice, by all means, but if you espouse that choice on the board, it's open to opposing opinion- you don't like it? Tough. If you make what is obviously an incorrect assessment of a piece of gear, expect to be corrected- if you choose not to wear gear at all, that's your prerogative, but this is a rider's sub-section, and- as I've said before- I feel gearing up is a necessary component of being a good rider- if you disagree with me (which I know you don't, but you do have a problem with my posting style, which doesn't bother me and I'm happy to respond to you if you want to take a crack), you had better bring a good argument that goes beyond petty sniping at me in other, unrelated threads.

In this case of the video in the OP, I see a rider who made a big mistake at a really bad time (when a car was in the 'perfect' position)- I've run wide in turns, but I was fortunate enough not to have had such an extreme example- it looks like it was caused by inexperience and overconfidence, a problem that affects nearly every rider at some point in their riding lives, including myself, so I can sympathize with it- note that 'sympathizing' and 'excusing' are two different things. He screwed up big time, and rode atrociously- he paid a big price (that could actually have been much bigger) for a rookie mistake.

I wouldn't want to be judged by my worst twenty seconds on a motorcycle- would you?

• Like 2

whatever it is, if it is a motorcyclist making an accident - right or wrong - i feel bad for that guy.

I dont feel the same for cage drivers doing accident.

Good or bad, right or wrong, a rider is down and you like it? C'mon!!!

• Like 1

Take it easy RSD, there were plenty of comments I could have made on the other thread if it was bothering me but it wasn't smile.png

I just found your logic totally opposite to mine in that I believe in freedom of choice as long as it doesn't affect others. So while I choose to gear up, if others don't then 'up to them, their choice'. When I see idiots like this endangering other people with their stupidity it annoys me. You on the other hand seem to come down very hard on people who don't wear safety gear (and will hurt nobody other than themselves) and then defend this guy who nearly took out a car (potentially a whole family) while riding like an idiot. I just found the contrasting viewpoints interesting, nothing personal.

Take it easy RSD, there were plenty of comments I could have made on the other thread if it was bothering me but it wasn't smile.png

I just found your logic totally opposite to mine in that I believe in freedom of choice as long as it doesn't affect others. So while I choose to gear up, if others don't then 'up to them, their choice'. When I see idiots like this endangering other people with their stupidity it annoys me. You on the other hand seem to come down very hard on people who don't wear safety gear (and will hurt nobody other than themselves) and then defend this guy who nearly took out a car (potentially a whole family) while riding like an idiot. I just found the contrasting viewpoints interesting, nothing personal.

c'mon jonny.

we do some accidents sometime, right or wrong.

Dont tell me such situation never happened to you.

And if you are riding on the roads anyway statistically, your life is in more danger.

So do we quit riding? no!

Of course it is up to the individual to wear protective gear or not but on a sport bike or whatever, still it does not mean we cannot criticize.

So, when you see idiots like this guy, you are annoyed but when you see riders with no helmet etc riding a liter bike around, you just say up to them? It never annoys you?

At least the guy in the video is clever enough to wear full suit and helmet.

• Like 1

whatever it is, if it is a motorcyclist making an accident - right or wrong - i feel bad for that guy.

I dont feel the same for cage drivers doing accident.

Good or bad, right or wrong, a rider is down and you like it? C'mon!!!

Not sure who that was aimed at but I don't think anyone said they like it, or maybe I missed a post?

But I wouldn't defend a rider endangering the lives of other people any more than I would defend someone in a car doing the same thing. Just because you're doing it on a bike doesn't make it any better or worse IMO.

You said you found my logic 'strange'- I did you the courtesy of explaining myself.

You're also putting words in my mouth- I never said I disagreed with freedom of choice- do what you want, I don't really care in the sense that I agree it's your life, but if you post something blatantly incorrect about the gear you choose not to use, don't be shocked if you're corrected on the point.

Also (and, again, I'm repeating myself) I personally feel gearing up is part-and-parcel of being a good rider- when I see someone on a large-capacity, fast bike wearing basically nothing, I fell their skills are probably (though certainly not always) on par with their preparation, and that may very well end up affecting me or someone else. On the same token, gear in itself means nothing- the rider in the video wore excellent gear- he did walk away from a massive accident, though- had he been wearing a crap helmet, jeans, and a T-shirt, it may well have ended up very differently.

In any case, I've already been over this and don't want to get into it again.

And, finally, I don't see 'idiocy' in a single mistake on a motorcycle (especially running wide on a turn- I see poor judgment certainly, but that can be improved)- if this rider had a history of this sort of behavior, I would certainly call him an idiot (which he may well be), but I think it's more he's completely untrained and unskilled (which we all were at some point)- there's a cure for that- there's no cure for being an idiot.;)

I judge people for their conscious choices, but not for a single mistake- there's a difference, and one is more excusable than the other.

• Like 1

c'mon jonny.

And if you are riding on the roads anyway statistically, your life is in more danger.

Of course it is up to the individual to wear protective gear or not but on a sport bike or whatever, still it does not mean we cannot criticize.

So, when you see idiots like this guy, you are annoyed but when you see riders with no helmet etc riding a liter bike around, you just say up to them? It never annoys you?

No, I've never ridden off the edge of a cliff due to riding well beyond my limits.

I'm talking about endangering others, that is a massive difference to endangering yourself.

But yes you're right, this guy annoys me because he is endangering others. A guy riding a litre bike with no helmet doesn't bother me at all, I'd think it was a stupid thing to do but it wouldn't bother me.

You (and I) have the right to take whatever risks we like with our own lives, but not with the lives of others. That's my philosophy anyway. wai.gif

Not taking sides here but you seem to be mixing up two very different issues.

In the case of this rider, he makes a mistake. As a fellow rider, I "sympathise" with him. I wouldn't say that his riding was reckless, he just bit off more than he could chew, he overestimated his capabilities etc etc but he didn't come across as riding "recklessly" (meaning weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating the vehicle in front etc).

On the other issue, it was about a rider's choice of safety gear - ATGATT or nothing at all or somewhere in between. As (presumably) educated, intelligent and matured adults, I simply cannot understand why anyone would ride a bike on the streets of Thailand without wearing a helmet, at the very least.

• Like 1

Good on yer!! Better than the helmet below

attachicon.gifbucket helmet.jpg

Ha! I'm afraid not by much!

• Like 2

c'mon jonny.

No, I've never ridden off the edge of a cliff due to riding well beyond my limits.

I'm talking about endangering others, that is a massive difference to endangering yourself.

But yes you're right, this guy annoys me because he is endangering others. A guy riding a litre bike with no helmet doesn't bother me at all, I'd think it was a stupid thing to do but it wouldn't bother me.

You (and I) have the right to take whatever risks we like with our own lives, but not with the lives of others. That's my philosophy anyway. wai.gif

maybe never went off the cliff but never took a corner wide in your life?

• Like 1

JonnyF and I have had many run ins in the past due to differing opinions but I definitely side with him on this. Whether it is due to a 'harder' upbringing, something that can be as dangerous as motorcycling needs to be treated with the utmost respect. I have had my share of accidents; but I am proud of the fact that each and every time the bike has gone down on MY side of the road where it didn't endanger others. Would it have been better not to have those downers? Of course; but I chalk it up to learning...an expensive hurtful (the time I wasn't wearing any protective gear and a car was in my lane) experiences.

I would much rather be banged up badly than to have to live with the knowledge that I killed or maimed another human being due to my negligence/stupidity/whatever. And I'd rather have people be harsh to riders who are capable of putting my family in danger than worry about those same rider's feelings. Life is full of risk, but one must do all they can to reduce that especially when it could affect others.

^^

I'm not sure what your argument is- I don't particularly care about the rider's feelings- my point was that I understand getting into a situation where you end up running wide entirely due to your own actions (and if you've been riding years you've almost certainly done it- I have), and I can sympathize with the situation. If you've run wide, this could have happened to you, and that's why I can't condemn the guy, though obviously it was a stupid, unskilled move.

In most cases you get out of this kind of situation unscathed and hopefully with some new knowledge- in this case, it was 'the perfect storm'. It can certainly be 'chalked up as a learning experience' and I doubt this rider will forget it anytime soon.

I think we all feel that motorcycling needs to be treated with respect, but we also have to remember that we were beginners at some point and probably made a few mistakes on the road to (hopefully) becoming skilled, safe riders- remember that some of us suffered greater consequences for equally poor judgement.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

JonnyF and I have had many run ins in the past due to differing opinions but I definitely side with him on this. Whether it is due to a 'harder' upbringing, something that can be as dangerous as motorcycling needs to be treated with the utmost respect. I have had my share of accidents; but I am proud of the fact that each and every time the bike has gone down on MY side of the road where it didn't endanger others. Would it have been better not to have those downers? Of course; but I chalk it up to learning...an expensive hurtful (the time I wasn't wearing any protective gear and a car was in my lane) experiences.

I would much rather be banged up badly than to have to live with the knowledge that I killed or maimed another human being due to my negligence/stupidity/whatever. And I'd rather have people be harsh to riders who are capable of putting my family in danger than worry about those same rider's feelings. Life is full of risk, but one must do all they can to reduce that especially when it could affect others.

on a bike, others on the road always endanger your life more than you endanger their lives. no worries dave.

Edited by ll2