Songkran festival the magnet for Thai tourism

webfact

do tourists really come here specifically for songkran? or do they just happen to be here during songkran? before i lived here i had no idea about songkran. is songkran really that widely known about outside thailand?

In April, high end destination start the beginning of low season so lower prices may attract some foreigner to Thailand, not Songkran indeed.

Very high level on domestic market through: Thai traveling in Thailand...

Just TAT usual twisting and half truth..

Best just to get blind drunk all day and play with water pistols then hit the road on your motorbike and home for some dry clothes then speed back into town as fast as you can for a few more beers as it gets a lot quieter at night, be safe and dry during Songkran wear an approved crash helmet.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707843-2014-songkran-faq-long/

Yep...... but once again the festival fun will be overshadowed by the fools in parliament.

Thai culture, like nostalgia, just ain't what it used to be. sad.png

HMMM...???

Yes, it was a milder party in the 60's, but there were still a few women who tossed off their tops.

However, in those days, tops were often not worn - especially by women in their 30's or 40's.

Pattaya was still a fishing village with few foreigners - most in speedos or topless.

So, yes, what was relatively innocent, has become commercial.

I love the Sonkran festival, it makes me feel like a 10 year old agin, if you don't act like an idiot it can be fun. Things that i would never do and hate to see are the idiots jumping out in front of motorbikes to soak them, which causes accidents. If someones says don't wet them, then don't, ot if they are not dressed for songkran then stay away from them. Shame 1000's of other drunken idiots don't care, and don't even know the real reason for the festival.

do tourists really come here specifically for songkran? or do they just happen to be here during songkran? before i lived here i had no idea about songkran. is songkran really that widely known about outside thailand?

Same as you I've lived here 6 years and never heard of it before I came and I never here of it when I go home, myself and most of my friends leave Pattaya when it's on it goes to long bloody moron Falangs.