Pheu Thai moves to accelerate the EC to hold a new round of general elections

webfact

Pheu Thai moves to accelerate the EC to hold a new round of general elections

PNPOL570401001000401_01042014_115308.jpg

BANGKOK, 1 April 2014 (NNT) - Pheu Thai Party chief Jarupong Ruengsuwan has proceeded with a move to accelerate the Election Commission (EC) to hold a new round of general elections within 45-60 days by forwarding them a letter to that effect expected to reach the EC today .

The party’s spokesperson Prompong Nopparit said shortly after his party’s meeting yesterday, that the party concurred to send the EC a formal letter to urge the agency to quickly hold a fresh round of national polls as the Constitutional Court on March 21st ruled the February 2nd election was unconstitutional.

He said the letter has alreadt been forwarded to the New Democratic Party which is acting as the coordinator in this move by the 53 parties. The New Democratic Party agreed to collect the necessary list of the political party members involved and submit it to the EC by April 1.

Mr. Prompong strongly believed that once the election takes place and a new government is formed, the ongoing political conflict as well as other hardship problems facing the people would soon be solved.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-01 footer_n.gif

Pheu Thai's ongoing level of discourse with the EC is always a fascinating focus in and of itself. The question in everyone's minds is - will they now actually meet ? Apparently not yet. Pheu Thai still can't bring themselves to acknowledge the Election Commission as anything other than something they can order about or threaten with litigation. Pheu Thai doesn't do personal appearances. And so, guess how they are communicating with the EC ? Through a letter. Which is expected to be received today ! Even that belies what the message of the letter is - and that is to arrange an election quickly. It's taken them a week and a half since the Constitutional Court's ruling, and suddenly they realize they need to have an election. Of course, Pheu Thai is quite excited about communicating the very contents of the letter in front of the cameras. Let's face it, Pheu Thai is really terrible at working with the EC. They prefer to talk " at them " instead, and preferably indirectly. So again, Pheu Thai is now back to the mindset that they can just tell the EC what to do. Pheu Thai has absolutely no concept of the " working together " principle that the Constitutional Court tried to remind them of. They just don't get it.

Didn't you mention in another thread that "the constitutional processes must move forward."?

I seem to remember elections being a constitutional process.

Oh yeah, let's rush into another 3.8 billion train-wreck right away!

That's more money that could help a few rice farmers get back on their feet. And all that, just to make sure that nobody else gets to their hands on the wheel. Lest the skeletons might start tumbilng out of the closet of this rotten-to-the-core regime for real!

• Like 1

What is there to hide PT? Why are you sooooo afraid of reform?

What is there to hide PAD? Why are you so afraid of Elections and then all parties work towards reform.

Anyhow you agree with reform, nice. After the whitewash stunt PT tried to pull it is understandable that they can't be trusted. So since there is no trust that reform will be done after the elections we should do it now. Unless they have something to hide of course. smile.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I believe a referendum should be put out to the people to decide if reform before election or reform after election so they can all stop bickering like noisy zoo animals.

+1

I guarantee that reforms before elections will be voted for by a huge majority. Even the PT voters want reforms.

Reforms must be put in place without ANY involvement from politicians, ministers or anyone connected in any way with any political movement either official or unofficial. Attempting to influence reforms to favour any particular sector of people to result in hefty and immediate prosecution.

If these are to be truly reforms for the people, no politician can have any word on it.... period.

Pushing for snap elections is not the way forward... One would have thought that PTP should have learned their lesson on that one. They seem to want to deliberately steer the next election into the same crapper as the last one, so they can blame everyone other than themselves for being undemocratic.

I agree with you that a referendum is a valid way out of the current impasse, but I disagree with your predicted outcome.

• Like 1

What is there to hide PAD? Why are you so afraid of Elections and then all parties work towards reform.

when you become a recognised member of TVF we will listen to your comments

till 500 posting most of see you as a fly in newbie

"What is there to hide PAD? Why are you so afraid of Elections and then all parties work towards reform"

You are turning the tables in reverse

what thais are saying is

"What is there to hide Yingluck? Why are you so afraid of the Thai people seeing the financial books of 20012/13 "

Pheu Thai's ongoing level of discourse with the EC is always a fascinating focus in and of itself. The question in everyone's minds is - will they now actually meet ? Apparently not yet. Pheu Thai still can't bring themselves to acknowledge the Election Commission as anything other than something they can order about or threaten with litigation. Pheu Thai doesn't do personal appearances. And so, guess how they are communicating with the EC ? Through a letter. Which is expected to be received today ! Even that belies what the message of the letter is - and that is to arrange an election quickly. It's taken them a week and a half since the Constitutional Court's ruling, and suddenly they realize they need to have an election. Of course, Pheu Thai is quite excited about communicating the very contents of the letter in front of the cameras. Let's face it, Pheu Thai is really terrible at working with the EC. They prefer to talk " at them " instead, and preferably indirectly. So again, Pheu Thai is now back to the mindset that they can just tell the EC what to do. Pheu Thai has absolutely no concept of the " working together " principle that the Constitutional Court tried to remind them of. They just don't get it.

Didn't you mention in another thread that "the constitutional processes must move forward."?

I seem to remember elections being a constitutional process.

Yes you are right

But the constituiton that is stated correctly for the benifit of the Thai people

No one that is interpretted to be the best for Thaskins take over of Thailand

I believe a referendum should be put out to the people to decide if reform before election or reform after election so they can all stop bickering like noisy zoo animals.

well any one with an open mind can not fight that conclusion

+1

I guarantee that reforms before elections will be voted for by a huge majority. Even the PT voters want reforms.

Reforms must be put in place without ANY involvement from politicians, ministers or anyone connected in any way with any political movement either official or unofficial. Attempting to influence reforms to favour any particular sector of people to result in hefty and immediate prosecution.

If these are to be truly reforms for the people, no politician can have any word on it.... period.

Pushing for snap elections is not the way forward... One would have thought that PTP should have learned their lesson on that one. They seem to want to deliberately steer the next election into the same crapper as the last one, so they can blame everyone other than themselves for being undemocratic.

Give it a rest Nibbles. You "guaranteed" back in January, (i forget which name you were using then, it's hard to keep up), that the government would be history in a couple of weeks, and Suthep would have a glorious victory. Apparently you knew this because your Thai wife and all her family who are senior policemen were all once ardent red shirt supporters, but had now miraculously seen the light and were now ardent Suthep supporters told you so! Yet here you are in April, a couple of dozen user names later still issuing "guarantees", about things that you clearly have no knowledge of. You know as much as the rest of us how this whole saga will pan out, which is absolutely nothing, zilch!

when you become a recognised member of TVF we will listen to your comments

till 500 posting most of see you as a fly in newbie

I think 5000 posts would get you out of the newbie bit, and a minimum 5 year membership.

Initially, it was the People's Alliance for Democracy, or yellow-shirt movement, which led efforts to remove Thaksin from office through unconstitutional, if not criminal means by employing terrorist tactics to hijack international airports, inflicting endless suffering on thousands of tourists who had nothing to do with conflict.

The result was a series of events designed to rid ourselves of the "Thaksin regime".

First came the military coup, which was followed by a military-backed "impartial" administration, which targeted Thaksin's wealth through the Asset Scrutiny Committee.

Then came the Constitutional Court's disbandment of two Thaksin-backed parties, Thai Rak Thai and the People's Power Party, together with the removal of two elected prime ministers, Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat.

The net result of this judicial purge was the elimination of all significant political parties except for the Democrats, which many observers found to be rather suspect.

Today, we are about to witness another round of judicial inquisitions that push the boundaries of legality and challenge the very concept of justice.

In my view, the charter court's landmark ruling nullifying the Feb 2 polls is a near-death sentence for our fragile democracy. First, it's tantamount to declaring open season on our democracy because a handful of thugs blocking voting booths can derail an election.

Secondly, it rewards a few lawbreakers within the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) and punishes 20 million law-abiding citizens who wanted to express their democratic will through free and fair elections.

Rulings like this will chip away at the credibility of our justice system, because the rights of law-breakers and protesters are consistently being defended, while the constitutional rights of ordinary citizens are constantly being ignored. What a dangerous web we weave.

We have been down this road before. The National Anti-Corruption Commission has thrown down the gauntlet and is counting down towards the apocalypse that will soon see caretaker premier Yingluck Shinawatra removed from office, while the Constitutional Court is poised to expel from parliament all Pheu Thai MPs and senators involved in the passing of the charter amendment bill which would have made the upper house wholly elected.

Even if Ms Yingluck is found guilty and removed, she will be replaced by another Thaksin avatar. If Pheu Thai is disbanded, another Thaksin-funded party will be born. And even when an "impartial" interim prime minister is appointed, we will surely face the prospect of elections sooner or later.

Thaksin has become an unending nightmare that the old elites can't seem to wake up from. But if we, the privileged class, can't come up with a better plan to beat Thaksin, then I'm sorry, we don't deserve to run this country. In my opinion, our leaders must be their own harshest critics. The elites scream and shout about how corrupt Thaksin is, but we ignore it when "one of us" is guilty of it.

We say dereliction of duty when it's Ms Yingluck, but when the Election Commission whose sole purpose is to organise elections, employs every excuse under the sun to avoid holding them, we seem not to worry.

And we bellow out for the political reforms the PDRC has proposed, but when Abhisit Vejjajiva was prime minister for all of two years and seven months and absolutely none of these reforms were even mentioned, we make lofty excuses. What a bunch of hypocrites we have shown ourselves to be.

If the Democrats were competing adequately in elections, we wouldn't be having this conversation about how awful the Thaksin regime is and we certainly wouldn't be clamouring for political reform. Instead of moaning about how stupid the plebs are for supporting Thaksin, the ruling class must accept that if the people are stupid, it is only because we've never bothered to lift a finger to educate them.

Just look at our national embarrassment of an education system, which is a monument to half a century of ruling-class neglect and in my view, the very definition of dereliction of duty.

The Democrats fear Thaksin like a vampire quailing at the sight of a garlic garland necklace. Yet Thaksin is not invincible. I'm certain, with a courageous and inspiring opposition party, he can be beaten. We should brace ourselves for this challenge and rise to the occasion, because everybody knows the only way to truly conquer your fears is to confront them.

And the only way to beat a playground bully like Thaksin, is to stand up to him by fighting for the hearts and minds of the Thai people, through free and fair elections. An interesting read is it not? Can't claim it as completely without holes, though to me it makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

"Mr. Prompong strongly believed that once the election takes place and a new government is formed, the ongoing political conflict as well as other hardship problems facing the people would soon be solved."

The hardship problems of a lot of people would be solved if you paid your bills and ruled in a less corrupt, self serving, conflictual manner.

Yes hold the elections ASAP, before we lose more public support and votes due to our goons killing and maiming innocent citizens, and before our scheme afflicts any more poor hardworking farmers.

And hurry with the elections, before a credible opposition party emerges and leaves us with only our eyes to cry with. Time is of the essence, we can't keep up this facade of rectitude forever, you know.

+1

I agree with you that a referendum is a valid way out of the current impasse, but I disagree with your predicted outcome.
Would be nice to have a referendum. However I fear that Suthep and his cronies would disrupt it for the same reason that they disrupted February's elections (i.e. that they feel that most Thai people are too stupid to vote). They will only ever be satisfied with dictatorship.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by ThailandNoob
  • Like 2

Yes hold the elections ASAP, before we lose more public support and votes due to our goons killing and maiming innocent citizens, and before our scheme afflicts any more poor hardworking farmers.

And hurry with the elections, before a credible opposition party emerges and leaves us with only our eyes to cry with. Time is of the essence, we can't keep up this facade of rectitude forever, you know.

yep, now the senate results are trickling in.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Anyhow you agree with reform, nice. After the whitewash stunt PT tried to pull it is understandable that they can't be trusted. So since there is no trust that reform will be done after the elections we should do it now. Unless they have something to hide of course. smile.png

Its Catch 22 eh Nicky...i absolutely agree with reform. this country needs to be fixed....as long as its conducted by the representatives of the Thai majority not minority (whoever that is..Red Yellow etc.....) i wonder how this would problem be approached if it happened in the west.