Buying REAL pure honey in Chiang Mai

sunoco27

Does anyone know where I can buy the real thing in Chiang Mai?

I don't want to buy that watered down or with sugar added stuff.

It would be nice if I could find honey from the mountain instead of th Thaivisa area forums are not the place to post about looking for part-time work. For starters I doubt a work permit would be available = an illegal activity and against forum rules. e local honey farms that feed their bees sugar water.

Thank you

The quest for pure honey is best satisfied at Rim Ping or the other major supermarkets. Look for the imported brands, yes its expensive but its your best chance for what you seek.

Try the Royal Project, as mentioned above, but my money would be on Rimping too. Find a reputable European brand and pay the piper. Yes, it will be expensive, but like they say in Thailand...no money, no honey.

• Like 2

The quest for pure honey is best satisfied at Rim Ping or the other major supermarkets. Look for the imported brands, yes its expensive but its your best chance for what you seek.

Why pay over the odds for honey made thousands of kilometers away? There's so much raw pure tasty honey made by good old northern thai bees you could trip over it. Fraction of the cost too, recently made. All you got to do is know if you're getting the pure raw honey.

I pay about 150 baht for a litre bottle from this place which i go to since it's near where i live.

http://phatthanakit.com/index.php?lang=en

I have found i prefer the longan honey to their forest honey, but both are so tasty and the real deal. Signficantly cheaper than imported stuff, the origin of which you will not know.

All the health food shops will have decent local honey too.

Or go to mae salong and buy it there. The only problem is it's too tasty.

• Like 1

There is an actual bee farm in Saraphii. I believe the name is Patthanakit Bee Farm. It should be located about here: 18.705624, 99.024550

They have a shop there where you can buy direct from them.

That's the one i just posted about. It's excellent honey.

It is very difficult to find REAL honey in Pattaya. Yes, the vendors are everywhere, with their bottles of honey, and even have sections of the hives in their basket. What does that tell you? Must be real honey, right? If you know hives, look closer. Most are yellow jacket hives, which do not produce honey at all. Apparently you jump to the conclusion it is real honey, when it is only manufactured sugar water. Not their fault that you jump to conclusions.

my wife bought some honey the other day, it had a little piece of "honeycomb" at the top of the bottle and the seller was proclaiming how authentic the honey was.

Well, long story short... the honeycomb was a wax imitation and the honey is adulterated.

Having said all of that.. we have purchased REAL honey here, from bee farms and our biggest issue is that it is not the same and does not taste the same as

WILD honey... now that is the heart of gold right there. So we hold out and usually once a year, we find someone who is selling real wild honey and we buy a few boxes of

liter bottles... very different, great tasting and the best money can buy, IMHO

• Like 2

my wife bought some honey the other day, it had a little piece of "honeycomb" at the top of the bottle and the seller was proclaiming how authentic the honey was.

Well, long story short... the honeycomb was a wax imitation and the honey is adulterated.

Having said all of that.. we have purchased REAL honey here, from bee farms and our biggest issue is that it is not the same and does not taste the same as

WILD honey... now that is the heart of gold right there. So we hold out and usually once a year, we find someone who is selling real wild honey and we buy a few boxes of

liter bottles... very different, great tasting and the best money can buy, IMHO

I'm sure you can get 'wild' honey at ban suan pak health store.

You can also take a short break to mae salong, the huge tea plantations north-west of chiang rai town. They sell the real wild stuff, and it's cheap and so tasty! You also get stunning scenery to boot.

Judging by the work i heard going on in chiang dao recently, there must be lots of wild honey around there too. The bees were certainly busy.

There must be lots of wild honey for sale made in chiang mai, just a matter of finding sellers.

Having said all that, what do you mean by 'wild'? I think that's what the bee farm in saraphi sells.

• Like 1

if honey comes from bees that are kept in fixed location boxes (or even if the boxes are moved now and then)... to me it is not "wild". Wild honey is the stuff that comes from naturally occurring large bee hives in the jungle, not on a "farm" of any kind. We have thai friends here who are born and raised locals and they tell us this type of honey is typically only harvested once or twice a year... so we wait until that time and buy a bunch.

Try knocking the box over, or even just liftinf off the lid at the wrong time-of-day or when wearing the wrong clothes, and you'll find that they can still get pretty wild !

I recommend the honey from Forabee, about 10 km South towards Lamphun, on the LHS of the highway to Lampang.

Edited by Ricardo

Ive tried Royal Project, Doi Kham and Vejpong within the past 2 months....they are also the best in that order....

When mixing with apple cider vinegar tonics, Vejpong requires 50% more than Royal project, Doi Kham requires 25% more than Royal Project.

if honey comes from bees that are kept in fixed location boxes (or even if the boxes are moved now and then)... to me it is not "wild". Wild honey is the stuff that comes from naturally occurring large bee hives in the jungle, not on a "farm" of any kind. We have thai friends here who are born and raised locals and they tell us this type of honey is typically only harvested once or twice a year... so we wait until that time and buy a bunch.

Try knocking the box over, or even just liftinf off the lid at the wrong time-of-day or when wearing the wrong clothes, and you'll find that they can still get pretty wild !

I recommend the honey from Forabee, about 10 km South towards Lamphun, on the LHS of the highway to Lampang.

Personally I always thought the taste of the honey came from where they get the pollen not where they live.

This thread is better than a hamburger or pizza one.

Who would have thought there was so many pure honey lovers in Chiang Mai. Some willing to travel a distance to get it.

I considered using it but with my diabetes I decided against it. I went on the internet and it was about 50 50 on weather it was good for me or not. I had even heard one claim where a fellow was getting better in his hip that needed replacing.

my family has a history of diabetes, when i drink a full can of coke, things start to get cloudy and lethargic.

now i mix my own drinks, that are just as sweet as a coke would be and dont get any of those effects any longer.

the cheapest honey at central festival on the bottom shelf is mixed with some other kind of sweetener for sure, makes me blurry and lethargic.

Personally I always thought the taste of the honey came from where they get the pollen not where they live.

This thread is better than a hamburger or pizza one.

Who would have thought there was so many pure honey lovers in Chiang Mai. Some willing to travel a distance to get it.

I considered using it but with my diabetes I decided against it. I went on the internet and it was about 50 50 on weather it was good for me or not. I had even heard one claim where a fellow was getting better in his hip that needed replacing.

my family has a history of diabetes, when i drink a full can of coke, things start to get cloudy and lethargic.

now i mix my own drinks, that are just as sweet as a coke would be and dont get any of those effects any longer.

the cheapest honey at central festival on the bottom shelf is mixed with some other kind of sweetener for sure, makes me blurry and lethargic.

I don't buy it that often but when I do I get it at the honey store in the night bazaar. I at first was mixing it with cinnamon. It didn't help my hip a bit. So I stopped taking it altogether.

The research I did on Honey had lot's of claims for good health. But there was also lots of warnings about it for diabetics. I found that the cinnamon really kept my blood sugar level down. Some of the studies said Honey would do it and some said it was worse than regular white sugar.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

droplet honey in water if stay intact ok real hony maetang or friday morn market varorot cm cheers

Honey is basically a combination of glucose and fructose with a bit of water. The other natural flavorings and pollen grains are such a small proportion that they don't really matter when it comes to the physical properties of honey. So any good counterfeiter will make a fake honey that behaves in just the way that real honey does - including the water drop test.

nonsense you can easily get 100% honey from the mountains of North Thailand..

.A few weeks ago you could have got it straight from the hive as soon as it was picked

^ last week we had a hive next door to us...bastards stung me taking a piccy....anyway, burmese neighbours came and got it and and gave us a jar full...small jar....complete with a few bees and comb in it.

Now, I have had natural honey before...and comb....but this, straight from the hive was the best I had EVER tasted.....so sweet, warm and the comb just melted and ended up like chewing gum.

In addition, all the wild forest flowers near us are blooming, so all the honey from this hive was produced from the wild flowers in the NP behind us....outstanding it was.

• Like 1

yes we have lots of wild flowers as well as lychee and longan orchards surrounding us..

.There is a huge black bee that to my eyes i have only seen on the flowers,,but so far i have never been able to source that honey..

.there is a mountain cave with a buddha inside and temple for the monks outside

On the overhead of the cave is a comb about 20 feet long

would love to get that honey but its about 3-400 feet up and impossible to get to because of the over hang

the old boy that gets me honey,,honey comb,,pollen doesnt even use smoke ..just says a few mantras and calms the bees that way

Heard him one dark night with a hive that was made in the ground near the spring teaching his grandson i believe who was scared haha

aye the locals drink rubbish whisky and smoke bad tobacco but have got top quality honey

• Like 1