3 times I was told-this is the last time you get a visa-what now?

I was told at Mae Sai, and Chiang Kong, that I wouldnt get a 30day Visa on arrival there next time.

because I had 3 back to back v.o.a. there.

Also Vientiane would only give me a single entry tourist visa,for the same reason, like I had not spent much time out of thailand in the last year or so.

So I have to get anew visa this week.

What is the current legal situation, and is it always enforced?

Is it likely that I shall be refused entry to Thailand now?

Has this happened to anyone recently?

will I have to stay in Tachilek for 3months?

Would a different border (eg NAN) make a difference?

Or do I really have to stay out of thailand this time, and how long for?

It is inconvenient for me to suddenly leave the country now.

I am not working here, nor married

Who thinks I will be refused a Visa on Arrival?

Any precedents?

Are you talking a Visa on Arrival or a Visa exempt entry two totally different. The only way to know for sure is to give it a try. You might try flying out to another country and then come back by air. It does appear you have over stayed your welcome and they think you are living and working here on visa exempt entries.

I don't think you are qualified to get a VOA.

Whether you can get another visa exempt entry will depend upon which crossing you use.

If you use one of the crossing you mentioned earlier you might only get a 7 day entry.

Tourist VISA

ED - VISA

Retirement VISA

Thailand Elite

Obtain VISA-s. Friend of mine stays on TR VISAS 3 years w/o problems, just show financial proof every time he obtain another VISA... The amount shown is 20k per month for individual, how much for family I not remember, not this case.

I have never heard of somebody being denied a Visa Exempt for having too many but then again don't know anybody who uses this method continually back to back to stay in Thailand. You need to address the problem since it clearly is becoming an issue for you and is going to only get worse. Chances are you can do a border crossing somewhere else without a problem but you are just buying yourself another short stay. So, get a Visa and your best bet would probably be an ED Visa since you appear to be wearing out your welcome as a tourist. You might even go down and get a 7 day extension from immigration so at least the only stamps you have are not border crossings.

A border official moaned at my frequent visa on arrivals yesterday, but eventually stamped me in. The 4th time I'd done a border run to Poipet and returned same day. He said doing what I was doing, I should take an airplane.

Personally if I were you I'd fly back into Thailand, then apply for a new passport. Then you have a clean slate to start doing visa runs again. Sure it's expensive to fly then renew passport via post but you'd be able to get double entry tourist visas from laos again. If you have a year or so left on your passport I'd definitely do that, as once you get to the 6 months or less point you'll have difficulty getting into Laos or any country by law (not impossible but risky).

A border official moaned at my frequent visa on arrivals yesterday, but eventually stamped me in. The 4th time I'd done a border run to Poipet and returned same day. He said doing what I was doing, I should take an airplane.

Personally if I were you I'd fly back into Thailand, then apply for a new passport. Then you have a clean slate to start doing visa runs again. Sure it's expensive to fly then renew passport via post but you'd be able to get double entry tourist visas from laos again. If you have a year or so left on your passport I'd definitely do that, as once you get to the 6 months or less point you'll have difficulty getting into Laos or any country by law (not impossible but risky).

Yes get a new passport and in a year or so back here on Thaivisa asking the same question, do you think they will give me another VOA.

Get the proper visa or stop trying to live here on 30 day border runs they cracked down on this a few years ago and will again it is only a matter of time.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Voa... knew a guy who had tens of them in his passport... wife & kids in thailand, but he went out every 30 days, to work offshore for a few weeks

A VERY different scenario to a person ducking an diving in an attempt to live in Thailand, full time, on the back of visa exempt entries.

just get a proper VISA instead of doing border crossings resulting in 30 days w/ou visa.

fyi: my last 3 visas were TR triple entry. i always attach a copy of my savings account in the west. never any problem.

i'm too young for retirement visa.............

If you are continuously using a VOA the authorities may be doubtful of your motives. If you have no visible signs of support and are here continuously, the authorities may fear that you are working or doing something illegal. Other Thai Visas have proof of savings and/or income. Would you want someone to come to your home country and overstay without proving that they are not doing something illegal or taking someones job ?

People from SE Asia have an extremely difficult time getting any Visa including tourist visas for North America for example. A man from Europe coming to Canada to visit his mother was tasored to death because he could not speak English.

Remember , if we are not Thai we are here at the pleasure of the Thai authorities. Do not get on the wrong side of them. Find a Visa that is appropriate for you. The suggestion of an Education Visa is a good alternative. Enroll in a Thai language course for example.

If you want to stay here long term then get a proper visa. Why are you trying to make life difficult for yourself. Learn Thai and get an ED visa. As you're staying here the Thai will come in useful. Better than this nonsense of border runs every month.

• Like 2

I have to ask you, what are you here for? Are you working, retired, a tourist, basically what are your intentions?

If you are a tourist then eventually they can say they don't believe you and refuse you a visa just like any other country. If you want to stay here but don't have a job or are not old enough for a tourist visa then firstly I assume you have money to support yourself in which case go and do some studying and apply for a student visa.

At least then you want have any of these issues and you get to learn something.

You should go to thai language school it cost about 20,000 to 30,000 per year and they will get you a one year visa this is how the younger guys stay here( and you need to learn Thai anyway right?) otherwise you can go to Penang Malaysia they will allow you three TVs per per year including the ones you got at other embassys. In Penang you can just go to Jims place or Banana guest house they will arrange your visa no need to go to Embassy. Then you make some border runs at different borders dont always go the same border. I was a visa runner for 10 years but then I got a retirement visa last year but now Im a visa runner again temporary because my plans are not certain to stay in Thailand.

You can always get a new passport and start over but first try to exhaust all your options. The stamp you get at the border is not a visa its just an visa exempt entry stamp.

• Like 1

OP,

If you are not working here or married as you say - then just go home. Enjoy the spring/summer in your native land and come back in the fall. Less hassles that way I would imagine. Thailand won't be any different when you get back later.

Although, If you are staying because of a significant other. Seriously though, if your relationship cannot survive you being gone for 3 to 6 months, its not much of a relationship and you are better off.A thir

Another option, go tour around SE Asia, there is more here than just Thailand. Come back to Thailand after you have spent time in other countries.

OR you can ignore any decent advice, and run the risk of jail time due to an overstay and getting caught.

I agree, I should get an ED visa, or retirement visa, but my immediate concern is whether I shall be allowed back into thailand with a visa exempt/v.o.a. this week, so I can continue to arrange my life here and get a proper visa

It does seem like nobody has actually been physically refused entry at the border

Edited by rikki

As I said the worst that can happen is that you will only be given a 7 day entry.

I would certainly not try Ma Sai again or Chiang Kong again. Mae Sot would probably not work either since it is in same immigration region as the other 2,

You could apply for a 7 day extension pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country at immigration to give you a little more time.

Perhaps a trip to Nong Kai for a crossing. Or a trip to Bangkok for a Cambodia border run.from there.

As I said the worst that can happen is that you will only be given a 7 day entry.

I would certainly not try Ma Sai again or Chiang Kong again. Mae Sot would probably not work either since it is in same immigration region as the other 2,

You could apply for a 7 day extension pay 1900 baht and be given 7 days to leave the country at immigration to give you a little more time.

Perhaps a trip to Nong Kai for a crossing. Or a trip to Bangkok for a Cambodia border run.from there.

It's possible to get a 7-day extension on a 30-day visa exempt stamp? I ask because mine expires on the 4th May and I am planning to go to the Thai Consulate in Vientiane to apply for a more appropriate visa but the 5th May is a Bank holiday so I would really prefer to travel on the 6th May if I can. I could of course overstay for 2 days and pay a 1000 Baht fine but I'm not keen on doing that just before I apply for a visa.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...