Dreambox / PSI / GMM etc

zib

Hi

I need something cleared up since I don't seem to get how this works ;)

When looking at the "free" (non subscription) PSI and GMM boxes it looks like they have no smartcards. To me it then feels like these boxes are for FTA channels. Or is there some burnt in smartcard-chip inside the boxes?

I see many people thinking if they should get a PSI or a GMM non-subscription package. Because of these posts I get a feeling that it is the second option with burnt in smartchard-chips inside the box. Because if it was FTA-channels why not just get a "generic" dish and then get both PSI and GMM channels?

More to the point. I have a Dreambox 500 HD (don't see it as a dreambox..just a normal generic DVB-S2 receiver). Can I get all the PSI, GMM "non subscription"-channels?

Checking for example PSI at http://psisat.com/site/images/stories/Freq/OK_V_156.pdf I see now reason why these can't be received with my dreambox. Same with GMM.

If I am correct with the above what is the best dish I can get for the maximum amount of channels? :) I'm guessing a 180cm dish with C+K band LNB should be enough (Phuket)?

Thanks!

The GMMZ HD box has a card number and serial on the base, but the GMMZ smart just seems to have a number and barcode on a sticker (could be card or serial). In any case you need these numbers when you call and activate your box for pay channels.

GMMZ has 3 subscription plans (PAYG) including the CTH stadium channels, so these boxes are definitely not just for FTA channels.

AFAIK FTA channels are not encrypted, so you should be able to receive them using any system. (I am not the most knowledgeable, so please correct me if I am wrong)

totster smile.png

/edit, I believe that C band provides the most FTA channels

Edited by Totster

I am not that knowledgeable, but have a large MOVE dish,installed 10 years ago, and 3x Dreamboxes 500's work fine but cannot be bothered so only in the bedrooms...

​Main TV downstairs use an old laptop connected to the Internet so can get most channels from around the world free. many live and in HD.. after saving the 100's of different sites to my bookmarks, is no more difficult [soon get used to it] as moving the dish and channels on your dreambox remote.......

As said not that knowledgeable never worked out why one need to pay 8,000 baht or more for IPTV box ?? maybe program's are changed to Thai Time ? eg: if I want to watch something on say BBC from UK at 9pm, now clock's are changed this last weekend = 4 am......... anyway from what I can see with these IPTV boxes there is only a set amount of program's.... like cannot watch something out of Australia, then flick to Germany, later UK and then USA, so to me is a waste of money... as LIVE program's are just that [you can get a brand new PC for 6,000 baht or so].............. Watch a lot of motor racing, Topic here on say F1 was loads of people saying how bad someone called Slater was as there only option was Star Sports. no idea myself as mostly watched on Sky Sport Live or BBC Live......... the website I mostly use for F1 has something like 16 Live feeds, so if one place is not that good a picture then try another country

Guess someone can tell me if there is an advantage ??...

Edit: my old laptop screen dose not work for about 4 years, so ideal as use TV as screen, still works and laptop not worth repairing as a laptop as very old lump expensive Sony in its day

Edited by ignis

Most people use fixed antenna on Thaicom so no movement required and is generic but the box provides decryption for each providers encrypted stations. The new box has chip and C-Band provides all the stations so no need for extra Ku band LNB so very cheap to install system.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes you are right they will work but you need to install CCcam and get the free irdeto keys (on most Thai satellite web sites) and it will work 100% as you want.

Or if you want to sell your dm500hd PM me..

Edited by joncl

To the OP,

The FTA (Free-to-Air) channels are sent unencrypted, and most any DVB-S2 capable box can receive and decode the data stream to extract the program content. If the program content is HD format then the box also needs to be HD capable.

For the encrypted program content, each Service Provider here in Thailand seems to use a different encryption system and sell their 'unique' receiver box with matching built-in decryption system chips and ship it with basic-service decryption codes pre-programmed in -- so some encrypted program content will be included 'free' with the purchase of the box.

GMMZ offers channels like Nat Geo Wild as part of their basic (non-subscription) service, but you must use their 'unique' box to receive it.

IPM offers some of their encrypted content as basic with purchase of their box.

All the data streams with program content are there, but if the box doesn't have the decryption system chips or the decryption codes then the box ignores them.