Can a Thai be a Christian and a Buddhist

Donnievino

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see the problem, especially if you're talking about Catholicism.

Both religions rely on absurd ceremonial traditions in order to gain salvation/good luck.

They both have many "devout followers" selling overpriced seaside tat with magical properties.

In most countries both religions serve as a form of profiteering, social control.

She wont notice the difference!!!

• Like 2

Personally a good person is a good person

That said any christian minister will tell you There is only One God and he wouldnt nominate Buddha as that one.

Buddha himself never claimed to be a God so where is the problem?

There are hundreds of thousands of devout Thai Christians. Thai is simply a nationality, and Thai Christians will tell you that. As for her being '"Buddhist", have you asked her why? Her response will most likely be "because that's what my parents were". They will also say they believe in it at first, but after using questions from different angles they will eventually say they don't really believe in it but it is ceremonial. As a former evangelical Christian who came to Christ through Thai Christians, I can tell you Thais have no problems educating themselves on other religions other than Buddhism. They are not sensitive culturally on this subject as supposed to us touchy farang. Although they get the impression Islam is a bit radical. Gee I wonder why.

And gee, I wonder why Muslims (and Sihks and many olive-skinned people of no religion) think Christians in Bible Belt USA are a bit radical too.
Do you have anything productive to add about Thailand? Like I said, touchy farang

Not touchy at all smile.png . I was just making a comment on your comment (which had nothing productive to add about Thailand OR the OP), which you couldn't resist inserting. You HAD to take the opportunity to take a dig at Islam. Typical evangelist. Typical perpetuation of ill-feeling.

BTW, how did you feel about the recent death of the pastor of Westboro Baptist Church?

Buddhism is not a Religion.

So the answer is Yes.

Disagree!

DO... or you are not = religion (a.k.a. performance-based acceptance)

BE... and you are = spirituality (a.k.a. faith-based acceptance)

My son may not DO, but he still IS my son. I am the one who hand a direct hand in creating him, and I accept the responsibility of BEING his father forever, and loving him enough to never <deleted> him regardless, and to be there for him as long as I animate this body.

Now, as a divine being, I either accept the responsibility of having a direct hand in creating trillions of people throughout time (fearfully and wonderfully made) and considering them as my children from the get go, or I prove myself a figment of another man's mind and cut them all loose as soon as I get done having a direct hand in creating them, and retreat into hiding in a cowardly fashion to become a dead beat dad.

Then I haunt the imaginations of other people's minds, and get them to self-appoint themselves as my mouth pieces, and to go out and hunt down each other and convince and persuade each other to repent for the crap life I had a hand in putting them all into, and then expect all of them them to come back to me (after it were I who left them after creating them) and apologize; and a few trinkets certainly won't do any harm for the effort and certainly get my Fatherly love stirred up.

Religion takes the blueprint of a father's love for his children, and turns it into the sort of mindless, stinking pap that any intelligent individual, who has ever had a child and loved him or her as I love mine, can see a mile away.

Leave the lady be. Let her be who she is and enjoy it, or have one of those (how did the poster in the other thread put it?) have one of those walk away moments.

That's just a smattering of the many ways I see this. And please don't reply with what Harvey says. Either send Harvey my way, or leave my opinion be.

please, atheists are supposed to be thinkers. You are giving us a bad name.

As a practicing member of the Church of God, the Utterly Indifferent I would say it does not matter one bit either way, as God does not care about you and will take no notice or interest.

The "Church of God, The Utterly Indifferent"?

Mind you, I shouldn't be too scathing as, whether by divine intervention or fate or by creating my own luck, life's been pretty good to me lately.

A prayer from the Reverend C. Horner Redwine, Church of God, The Utterly Indifferent

Oh Lord Most High, Creator of the Cosmos, Spinner of Galaxies, Soul of Electromagnetic Waves, Inhaler of Inconceivable Volumes of Vacuum, Spitter of Fire and Rock, Trifler with Millennia - what could we do for Thee that Thou couldst not do for Thyself one octillion times better? Nothing. What could we do or say that could possibly interest Thee? Nothing. Oh Mankind, rejoice in the apathy of our Creator, for it makes us free and truthful and dignified at last. No longer can a fool point to a ridiculous accident of good luck and say, "Somebody up there likes me." And no longer can a tyrant say "God wants this or that to happen, and anybody who doesn't help this or that to happen is against God." Oh Lord Most High, what a glorious weapon is Thy Apathy, for we have unsheathed it, have thrust and slashed mightily with it, and the claptrap that has so often enslaved us or driven us into the madhouse lies slain!

- The Reverend C. Horner Redwine

Mate, why don't you just, like me, state that you are an atheist, and let the gullible do their thing. As long as it makes for good members of society, it is harmless. (Yes, I know, it often doesn't make good members of society, just wars and intolerance etc), but no need to make fun of them.

I know a Thai lady who converted to Christianity--- early one Sunday morning in her village--there was about 2 hrs of "chatter " coming from loudspeakers somewhere -when asked what was all that about--she said -- and I quote---

That's the Temple telling everyone -- who - and how many baht they give to Temple this time---now you know why I want Christian blink.png

anyone else heard these " announcements" ? wai2.gif

Yes, and I got a very good explanation from an English speaking monk.....they publicize who gives what so that there is no question how much money was donated and where it was going to be spent, unlike "missing" funds in so many other religions that will go unnamed. No one person is left to handle the funds either. In some villages, the phuyai baan handles it with others signing receipts and treasury reports with him. No one can be accused of mishandling the funds.

And, yes, Buddhism and Christianity can co-exist in a person's life. It is between the practitioner and whichever deity he or she believes in come Judgement Day. It is not up to us to decide who is right or wrong. I find those that protest the most seem to be unsure of their own beliefs when they want to alter someone else's....just my two-cents worth.

That's two cents well spent luangtom --Thanks for detailing more info on my "early morning call " thumbsup.gif

Mishandling of monastery funds is rife in Thailand as is stealing, corruption and nepositism and abuse of funds and monastery property.

At the temple I was at a brand new 4WD car was purchased for the "Monastery" with the abbot being driven around with an employed driver - who was a family member. One monk stole 200,000B and ran off, unnecssary building works done - to employ friends, monastery property given to family members etc. etc.

My ex-thai gf, who I had been with for about 3 years was a roman catholic along with her family. Her family lives in sisaket. They go to a roman catholic church in that area. However, my ex, who wears a rosary around her neck, will also pray at a Buddhist temple, if we had been visiting one as a tourist attraction. I believe in a lot of countries there maybe folks who are of one religion, but still adhere to local customs and traditions, even if at odds with their current religious beleifs

Jubu's..Christians believe they are a branch if Abraham, also. As my Moslem friends, we are all part of the whole..win with Kindness, no coertion 《spelling》 necessary..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

A very simplistic view of religion.

Some of us have secured our passage to the next life and it didn't come about by denying the higher authority.

Statements like yours has turned me away from church.The holier then thou additude.

• Like 2

If you bought an indulgence on the Kho San road, I regret to inform you that they are fakes.

Brilliant! clap2.gifclap2.gif

Quite a bit of commotion in thread, considering it only started this today. coffee1.gif

That's the Temple telling everyone -- who - and how many baht they give to Temple this time---now you know why I want Christian

'Beware of practising your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.' --Matthew 6:1-4

How can I buy a free pass out of Purgatory?

(I've been a very naughty boy).

Your missus may well enjoy attending a Christian ceremony for all the pomp etc but she probably wont understand much.

I suggest you don't ask her to give up her Buddhist beliefs and practices, particularly placating the spirits to keep the pee lawks away.

I hope your church is not one that practises exclusivity i.e. she can attend and enjoy the outing without having to convert to your religion.

BTW are you going to learn to read Thai so you can join in the chanting at her local temple?

Edited by Evilbaz

I know a Thai lady who converted to Christianity--- early one Sunday morning in her village--there was about 2 hrs of "chatter " coming from loudspeakers somewhere -when asked what was all that about--she said -- and I quote---

That's the Temple telling everyone -- who - and how many baht they give to Temple this time---now you know why I want Christian blink.png

Yes, and I got a very good explanation from an English speaking monk.....they publicize who gives what so that there is no question how much money was donated and where it was going to be spent, unlike "missing" funds in so many other religions that will go unnamed. No one person is left to handle the funds either. In some villages, the phuyai baan handles it with others signing receipts and treasury reports with him. No one can be accused of mishandling the funds.

And, yes, Buddhism and Christianity can co-exist in a person's life. It is between the practitioner and whichever deity he or she believes in come Judgement Day. It is not up to us to decide who is right or wrong. I find those that protest the most seem to be unsure of their own beliefs when they want to alter someone else's....just my two-cents worth.

That's two cents well spent luangtom --Thanks for detailing more info on my "early morning call " thumbsup.gif

Mishandling of monastery funds is rife in Thailand as is stealing, corruption and nepositism and abuse of funds and monastery property.

At the temple I was at a brand new 4WD car was purchased for the "Monastery" with the abbot being driven around with an employed driver - who was a family member. One monk stole 200,000B and ran off, unnecssary building works done - to employ friends, monastery property given to family members etc. etc.

A brand new 4WD car? Small change! This guy could teach the Thai monasteries a thing or two about abuse of funds and corruption. They are not in the same league as some religious organizations in The West.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/bishop-of-bling-resigns-after-spending-26m-in-church-funds-to-renovate-his-home-9220950.html

Your missus may well enjoy attending a Christian ceremony for all the pomp etc

You haven't been to a Calvinist or Brethren meeting, have you? whistling.gif

Edited by Morakot

Sure, why not. Born in the U.S., I was raised Christian but was just "ruined" by a liberal arts education. Wow! The vast majority of the human population is not Christian. So, I was introduced to Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Sikhism, etc. What I accepted was that it is more important for me to focus on the core seminal teachings about how to live in peace with my fellow human beings. In the U.S. it is pretty well accepted by most that you can choose any religion, but one to a customer. Asia has traditionally been pluralistic. If born in Japan, one could embrace the native religious teachings of Shinto, then accept Zen Buddhism and, perhaps, become a Christian, as well! Reality is that if born in the U.S. I would probably grow up Christian and speaking a English. If born in Saudi Arabia, I would probably grow up Moslem and speaking Arabic. You can use other countries as you wish. The largest one problem in human conflict seems to be trying to demand that others follow the "correct" religious belief.

A Catholic priest ( who had studied many religions) once told me that " there are many roads that lead to Rome, choose whatever path suits you, and you will still arrive at the same destination"

Sounds like good sense to me.

To answer the OP's question, yes. I've experienced that a few times. Foreign Mormons trying to convince Thais that their religion is a better one and offering them free English when they come to church and sing some aeehh songs.

Still make their "Wais" whenever they see a Buddha image. Another Jehovah's' Witness who made his Thai wife to one of them always came to visit me, trying to change my mind.

That went on until I threw him, but not his wife out. His wife honestly told me that she still believes in Buddha, but is forced by her Italian husband to be a believer

Let them have their religion and keep yours. Please don't tell them your belief is a better one. That's utter BS..

The last Mormons who came by our house and saw me on crutches and were asking if they could help me received an honest answer:

Yes, if you p-iss off.

Edited by sirchai

That's the Temple telling everyone -- who - and how many baht they give to Temple this time---now you know why I want Christian

'Beware of practising your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.' --Matthew 6:1-4

I often wondered where that saying got it's origins---so now I know--thanks Morakot---

Here endeth the lesson wai2.gif

• Like 1

A Catholic priest ( who had studied many religions) once told me that " there are many roads that lead to Rome, choose whatever path suits you, and you will still arrive at the same destination"

Sounds like good sense to me.

Yep.....a "dead end"

Being a good person needs no religion.

A very simplistic view of religion.

Some of us have secured our passage to the next life and it didn't come about by denying the higher authority.

Am I the only one that finds that statement smug and arrogant. Reminds me of way first class passengers look at the great unwashed as they walk by them to the cheap seats. I'd prefer a deity who doesn't reward that!

I just find it funny.

This poor understanding of what is going on through these loudspeakers is pure falang-understanding.... nothing else...... This is NOT a thai person

saying these words- NO WAY....

Glegolo

• Like 1

please, atheists are supposed to be thinkers.

Oh ? I'm an atheist because I can't be arsed to decipher the ramblings of goat herders from a few thousand years back.

Fair enough. I was generalising, sorry. Of course there will be thick or non-thinking atheists in any population. Statistically. Thanks for pointing that out.

Am I the only one who thinks no? You could be an atheist and a Buddhist but not a Christian. Christians do not believe in reincarnation, in fact the whole point is you only get on shot at it and you have to get it right; Jesus as your saviour etc. Buddhists believe you get many shots at it and you (hopefuly) get better as you go along. The two views are contradictory IMO.

Dont make an issue of it, I was born a Jew, educated as a Christian and I am a convinced atheist but still I go to mass every Sunday and my wife love to go to the church and in the church we have must of our friends :)

• Like 1