Record heat -- is it only here?

Sheryl

It's not just the temperature - the humidity makes a huge difference to how hot it "feels"..

Anything over body temp (37) will lead to overheating unless the humidity is reasonable, as it's your perspiration evaporating that cools you down.

Here in Rayong, daytime temps are 35-38, and fairly dry, but as the temperatures drop in the evening, the humidity increases and it actually "feels" hotter. Even the white dry sand on the beach is MUCH too hot to walk on, and darker tarmac or tiles, etc, shows a surface temperature of over 65 - enough to fry an egg.

Stay in the shade, keep a fan on you, and drink plenty....but a/c does help at night.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's not the heat it's the humidity. I have worked out of doors at 40°C, not happily, but I could do it, Switzerland. (I was a bit younger). If you have a humidity gauge, try

http://www.csgnetwork.com/canhumidexcalc.html

I have been getting 'Great discomfort; avoid exertion'. for a week or so now. This, in Farang speak, means 'go to an air conditioned bar and have a beer or three'.

The air conditioning lowers the temperature, yes, but it also removes humidity. To reduce electricity costs you need to insulate the ceilings and walls, maybe plant a tree or two...

IMO climate change has been changing weather patterns. Wasn't it unusually cold (near records) at least in Phetchabun about 2 months ago?

It's been down to -28 C here in Chicago, and this is my Thai wife's first year in the USA. She moved from Thailand last May just in time for a nearly record cold snap during the winter in Chicago. But she hated the heat in Thailand, and it stays warm inside the house. If she had to spend a few hours outside, she would likely change her mind about the cold. But so far she likes it.

Now it's up to 7-11 C, so it's a regular heat wave here also. :)

During the winter, if we throw hot water into the air, it freezes into snow as soon as it hits the air. Water thrown on my car freezes before it can hit the ground. It was really cold. She learned about frostbite.

So I think weather patterns are in flux all over the world, which will likely cause food inflation.

I notice that most of the people complaining of the heat are the ones who constantly use the air con ,that way you never acclimatise, yes its hot ,but no more than usuall for the time of year.

Has been38 or thereabouts in Udon Thani which is norm,with stormy threats but all wind and noise..Do not rely too much on a/cons,they do not allow you to acclimatize as you say. Put up with it fellas and enjoy the lack of freezing ice and snow----- or go home?wai2.gif

It doesn't seem too hot in Bangkok. Saw a weather webpage that said the high was 35 today.

I remember in 2011 the ten minute walk from Siam to Central World in the afternoon would leave me drenched in sweat. The weather forecast said the high was 37 and felt like 42.

Then again, I wasn't very accustomed to the weather back then.

No it is not only there where you are. Up here in the North West (Mae Sot) it has been terribly hot and humid. The latter is usual for this time of the year... but the heat seems to be about 4 to 5 degrees higher than normal. My AC is working all dam day ... cannot wait for that bill!

NO SUN ON THE WALLS OF THE HOUSE AT ANY TIME ,THIS IS THE SECRET ,then no need for aircon

Let me guess you have a house that defies physics and stays miraculously 20c cooler than ambient air temperature................its 10 metres underground right?

I notice that most of the people complaining of the heat are the ones who constantly use the air con ,that way you never acclimatise, yes its hot ,but no more than usuall for the time of year.

Has been38 or thereabouts in Udon Thani which is norm,with stormy threats but all wind and noise..Do not rely too much on a/cons,they do not allow you to acclimatize as you say. Put up with it fellas and enjoy the lack of freezing ice and snow----- or go home?wai2.gif

I lived here for 12 years with no air conditioning and was always miserable during hot season. Nowadays, I turn the air con on at night and am much more comfortable.

Down in Phatthalung we had some rain last night and it was spitting this morning but the heat and humidity are far higher than the last few years.

My Thai wife is also suffering with the heat this year so it's not just the expats. We both dislike aircon so it's fan for us 24 hours a day.

Yesterday we shopped at Tesco and that was too cold for us and outside was too hot. Humans are never happy with their lot.

Should have mentioned, that was a motorcycle ride, Udon, NK, NBLP, Chaiyaphum, and back again the next day. Hot still air, wind at 70mph made it feel even hotter. That was one ride into hell, temperature wise.

hmm i will suffer then this time round at husband's family's housing.. i think we will opt for BIL's open hut and a mosquito net. sister's tin roof cement bunker was boiling hot many years ago in february when we were there... and we are both used to dry heat and cool nights in jerusalem...

we never use a/c here at all; americans here always complain in the hotel lobby as it being hot but its really jsut very close to the outside temperature. i froze to death last year int he states, every where we went shopping or eating the a/c was set for penguins. ihad to borrow long sleeve shirts from my sister whenever we went anywhere cause i had brought only summer clothes with me.

will be packing very very lightly i guess, since even my summer stuff doesnt fit humid heat... blech... plus i think my hair will afro-ize into a bush of curls and frizzes....

hmm i will suffer then this time round at husband's family's housing.. i think we will opt for BIL's open hut and a mosquito net. sister's tin roof cement bunker was boiling hot many years ago in february when we were there... and we are both used to dry heat and cool nights in jerusalem...

we never use a/c here at all; americans here always complain in the hotel lobby as it being hot but its really jsut very close to the outside temperature. i froze to death last year int he states, every where we went shopping or eating the a/c was set for penguins. ihad to borrow long sleeve shirts from my sister whenever we went anywhere cause i had brought only summer clothes with me.

will be packing very very lightly i guess, since even my summer stuff doesnt fit humid heat... blech... plus i think my hair will afro-ize into a bush of curls and frizzes....

Afro-ize?

thats funny,

many of us WISH, we still had anough hair to regrow our afros

Afro-ize?

thats funny,

many of us WISH, we still had anough hair to regrow our afros

Severe Climate Change is a reality.

Do NOT take storm warningas lightly anymore,

Expect the unexpected from the weather:

Be PREPARED and protect your families

Had rain yesterday afternoon and more over night its 6.30 in the morning and its 24 degrees a nice change from what it has been here in Mukdahan

I have a industrial thermometer that I calibrated my self that sits underneath my house and it has only hit the 40C mark once,

Don't trust the cheap thermometers they can be out by a few degrees

I have worked in the Instrumentation field for way to long to trust a cheap thermometer

I will say that the Thai Meteorological Dept. website has been VERY inaccurate about their daily high predictions. For the past few weeks, it has been consistently low by 3 degrees or so. However, their (every 3 hour) updates are usually accurate, and I often use those to gauge which aircons I need to fire up for the day around the house.

Even Yahoo local weather service has been more accurate than this, and also the one on my Samsung mini tablet.

Having said that, yes it has been hot, along with some other strange weather such as the crazy wind storms two days ago.

I use this one . It is Norwegian but covers the world . It is quite accurate :)http://www.yr.no/place/Thailand/

This is why we live here. <deleted>. You would be complaining if its snowing and your freezing your ass off. If you don't like it, you know where to go. BACK HOME.

back home is just as hot and 10 times more expensive, why would I want to go back there ?

I have a mate in Udon who swears it's getting hotter every year. He sent me an email last week saying he's hiding by the aircon again.

For what it's worth, having lived in TL, I've been in Phnom Penh several years now and it's the same here. We've just had some rain today, not nearly enough though, which has made things a little more bearable. There has to be something to all this Global warming discussion?

my phone thermometer must be not working properly ,

in central bkk area it says 31 but it feels warmer than that and the air is sticky and humid

Put it in a glass of iced water (not beer or JD), and check it reads 0 C. Then put it in a pan of boiling water, and check it reads 100 C (assuming you're at or near sea-level).

If it reads something else at either point you can apply correction factors. facepalm.gif

Good luck, smile.png

• Like 1