Advice sought from trolling motor owners.

jack2964

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of an entry level trolling motor from the USA. Meanwhile, I would be most grateful if those of you who use one can offer some tips on choice of battery and charger that I would need. I did some reading online and it seems I should choose a "deep cycle" battery preferably marine grade. Evidently, the standard car batteries won't cut it.

I'd only be using my motor on a fresh water reservoir. As for charger I haven't a clue what kind I should purchase. Would be good if I can source the items in Korat which is the closest city to me.

Thanks for all replies.

edited to add: It is a 12V motor.

Edited by jack2964

Any charger for 12 volts would work but a slow chager is best. I doubt you will find a Marine grade deep cycle battery here. You best bet would be to use the biggest battery you can handle and try not to run it down too much.

I have a minkota motor I brought from Scotland & a Nissan car battery I bought here coupled up with a small solar charger I bought from Ebay. I've been using this set for over a year & never had any problems. I don't use full power much so as not to drain the battery to quickly. I use a trickle charger at home to keep it topped up full. Hope you have as much fun as I've had whe]n you get up & running & tight lines! Joepost-146449-0-14181300-1396572106_thumb.

post-146449-0-93193300-1396571919_thumb.

Thanks for feedback gents.

Did more googling and found marine batteries are available in Pattaya but they cost from 5k Baht onwards sounds like overkill for my use.

I'll go along with Scots' set up. Got a question though-does your solar cell do a good job of maintaining a decent charge while out and about (sunny day). What specifications should I looking for in that solar cell?

Btw, Cool rig with matching brolly, lots more comfy than my little crammed up inflatable.

Thanks for feedback gents.

Did more googling and found marine batteries are available in Pattaya but they cost from 5k Baht onwards sounds like overkill for my use.

I'll go along with Scots' set up. Got a question though-does your solar cell do a good job of maintaining a decent charge while out and about (sunny day). What specifications should I looking for in that solar cell?

Btw, Cool rig with matching brolly, lots more comfy than my little crammed up inflatable.

I bought the solar charger from ebay mate. There are plenty to chose from. 4.5/5w is plenty to keep a reasonable charge all day (if you're not zooming about at top speed) I also run a fishfinder from same battery. You don't need lots of sun either.

Thanks for the compliment on the rig. My mate built it here from marine ply he used as packing cases when he moved here from England. It's a perfect fishing boat for us with plenty room & very stable. here he is on our maiden voyage celebrating the launch with a wee Chang :-)post-146449-0-99088100-1396664328_thumb.

• 6 months later...