Thailand is among world's 10 biggest water users

webfact

I may well not be average, but my monthly bill is around 250 bht. I have an auto washer, large garden that I water every day, 2 shower rooms, cleaning and wash up as per normal.

My soapy clothes wash water I remove into buckets and use to wash exterior tiles widow sills etc. the rest is then used to swill down any concrete paths.

Just think how much water Thais could save if they put a cheap shower head in their outside shed/loo instead of ladling scoop after scoop over their heads.

Broken PVC pipes in villages with farm vehicles running over them, instead of burying the pipes to save breakage--laziness I think is the most important loss of water, and mai pen rai-attitude.

Do you know what the cost is per litre. I have been trying to find out, without success!

meter reading. 2554 to 2568. that looks like on my bill 14 cubic mter @about 14 bht.

1000 liters=1 cubic mt.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thais should stop to put icecubes in a glass of red wine or beer.
Problem solved!

And stop pouring water out in the street in front of their house or shop all day to make the dust disappear biggrin.png

Edited by bander

Sorry, but people taking showers are not the issue. Nor is it shopkeepers pouring a bucket in the street. And it's not even Songkran wastage that's the problem. Look to;

1. Golf courses.

2. Poultry and Pork processors

3. Agricultural production.

my monthly H2O bill (single farang guy): 87 THB

my neighbour's H2O bill (single thai guy): 200+ THB

Just depends on your property, how you was your clothes, bath or showers---cleaning--garden-car motor bike, for 87 bht per month you will NOT be using on the things I just mentioned.

my point was not that one should only spend 87THB (as u mention it depends on your situation).

my point was that my neighbour who has the same house, the same household (single guy), no garden either, no car, etc. manages to spend 2,5x on water.

i shower 3-5x a day but i do it "mind full"... water is precious!

2,131 cubic meters per person per year

Well, my family has a large garden, 5 Rais or so and 4 people living at the house. Our water consumption is about 70 M3 a month, about 840 cubic meters a year. Washing clothes seems to be the hobby of Thais and having a more than a couple of showers a day a norm.

There is a secondary water system in the village for watering plants and providing drinking water for animals. I haven't connected to the line yet but probably will soon since the price of water is going up all the time. That has a price of 50 Baht a month. Admitted, it is still just 10 Baht a cubic meter at the moment but the price increase was 40% from last year. Local water plant quoted too little usage as a reason to hike up prices..?

Someone suggested a tax increase...no thanks. That road leads to same as we have in my country where the price is staggering 8 euros (4 euros for water AND 4 for so called waste water fee...) a cube...making it hardly worthwhile to wash ones car.

I suppose the biggest consumer in Thailand is farming. But I don't see water as an asset that is used only once. It normally returns with the rains. So called environmentalists of course want everyone pay through the teeth.

Sorry, but people taking showers are not the issue. Nor is it shopkeepers pouring a bucket in the street. And it's not even Songkran wastage that's the problem. Look to;

1. Golf courses.

2. Poultry and Pork processors

3. Agricultural production.

I agree with you re figures, But it is an attitude problem across the board.

Domestic usage is vital in rural areas with bore holes, wells, lakes, etc.

Your point is more national, drawing off rivers-streams- canals. Really it still is a national problem with local authorities turning blind eyes to wastage, industry-domestic.

• Like 1

Just depends on your property, how you was your clothes, bath or showers---cleaning--garden-car motor bike, for 87 bht per month you will NOT be using on the things I just mentioned.

my point was not that one should only spend 87THB (as u mention it depends on your situation).

my point was that my neighbour who has the same house, the same household (single guy), no garden either, no car, etc. manages to spend 2,5x on water.

i shower 3-5x a day but i do it "mind full"... water is precious!

I do get your point, Thais do have a never mind/attitude problem, they live from day to day so the monthly bill is so far away.

Don't worry, Thailand will have plenty of water again during rainy flood season in August September, October and a little bit of November,... wanna bet????

You are exactly right.

That is why Thailand should have a water management program. The Netherlands offered to help with it but in her usual inept way Yingluck said no we have are own experts.

So far it is working out. not

But try to get this idiotic self centered corrupt bunch of thieves to do some thing positive for the country is like taking a whizz on a bonfire. No money in it for them personally isn't going to happen.

The survey showed that Thailand has inadequate water resource management particularly the implementation of the international standard water footprint calculator or water consumption measurement device.

In around about way it is saying that with proper water management Thailand could produce far more agriculture products with out increasing it's water usage.

• Like 1

I don't agree. I have 2 cars, a 12 litre washing macine, which runs all day every Saturday. I have a dog who has a huge outside bath 4 days a week. 2 shower rooms/toilets used by myself and my wife, and I work from home, so use water all day, and I have a garden with lots of plants/flowers - watered twice a day. My last bill 2 days ago was 95 Baht.

Thai should be costing out their use of water and start charging a tax for it. Tax revenue from water would help Thailand turn its fiscal shambles around. Thailand should also start taxing property. property tax would be opposed by the elite but it would provide needed tax revenue for infrastructure and public projects to benefit the ordinary Thai people.

Anyone who believes that a tax can solve a problem is delusional.

especially the bit about "to benefit the ordinary Thai people"

Thai should be costing out their use of water and start charging a tax for it. Tax revenue from water would help Thailand turn its fiscal shambles around. Thailand should also start taxing property. property tax would be opposed by the elite but it would provide needed tax revenue for infrastructure and public projects to benefit the ordinary Thai people.

It's not a bad idea... keeping unwanted hands out of the cookie jar would be an obvious issue needing attention!

Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations has conducted survey of the water resources management of countries in the world

Some guy at FAO asked to write something while he waits for his indexed pension.

Probably simply a rainfall vs storage vs bushels of rice calculation. Never left the office!

Agreed some villages run out of water during the dry season but that is a catchment/storage/distribution problem not a usage problem.

I have never noticed stuff like an abandoned running hosepipe or the like. Thais are generally very frugal.

In Bangkok it is illegal to operate a private bore hole well. They go around and test water at high use businesses. No chlorine = illegal bore water.

For your information, there is VAT on water, and the water companies ae taxed, just like the staff.

And, what is more, the price you pay is including, besides VAT, a profit for the company.

Property tax?

Indeed, there is a tax on property, not much, but there is.

Be it that property you live in is not taxed, while all other property you own is taxed on size, buildup, worth, whatever.

Thailand is very advanced in MARs (Managed Aquifer Recharge systems) using infiltration methods to restore ground water levels in all areas that suffer from declination levels through heavy pumping for rice and sugarcane supplies of water. It's not as gloomy as this article makes out. There is advanced technology being implemented, and which has been already for a good number of years. Thailand may well pump lots of water for agricultural use, but it also levels it out with infiltration pond techniques, pulling water from deep below deep aquifers in order to replace water pumped at higher ground levels. ;)

I don't agree. I have 2 cars, a 12 litre washing macine, which runs all day every Saturday. I have a dog who has a huge outside bath 4 days a week. 2 shower rooms/toilets used by myself and my wife, and I work from home, so use water all day, and I have a garden with lots of plants/flowers - watered twice a day. My last bill 2 days ago was 95 Baht.

You don't agree, OK. instead of not agreeing we have to note that the cubic charge HAS then to differ from district to district.

If you look at my meter readings on this page it will then explain why mine is more expensive than yours.

Was your bill for the month ??? if so take your bill and compare with mine.

It may help me as although I have my own meter whats to say water is maybe used by a.n. other. look at your rate per cube.thumbsup.gif

topics like this do help us guys to compare.

Want to swap homes ???thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Staggering number, 2131 cubic meters per person per year. A cubic meter is 1000L, that is a 1 x 1 x 1m cube of water. 2.1 million litres per year. I would have thought my own consumption to be less than a quarter of this but as the stat includes so much non-personal use, in the agri and industrial sectors, it seems impossible to improve this number by making changes at home.

The water bill from my condo is 2 cubic meters a month, 4 when my mother stayed with me for 2 months.

Do you HONESTLY think the extra money from such taxes would go to help the "ordinary Thai people?"

Hello, wake-up!! The extra LOOT would go straight into the pockets/handbags of the CORRUPT.

Thais use a lot of water? Well, what would you expect?

My gf insisted I shower twice a day in cold water when I

was already shivering during the recent record cold

winter. Yes, I am a faring but truly I do not smell and my

clothes are clean. What is this almost religious obsession

with constant washing?

You don't agree, OK. instead of not agreeing we have to note that the cubic charge HAS then to differ from district to district.

If you look at my meter readings on this page it will then explain why mine is more expensive than yours.

It may help me as although I have my own meter whats to say water is maybe used by a.n. other. look at your rate per cube.thumbsup.gif

Yes mate, the bill is monthly. The guy comes on a bike and charges everybody same day. I can't read the bill... it's all Thai 555.

The major numbers I see are, going down the bill: 161, 152, 9, 90 baht, 5 baht... then 691 , 8 , 1107. total 95 baht... if u can make head nor tail of that lot facepalm.gif

I came here to get away from the TAX TAX TAX mentality of the UK (well partly), so I do not want Thailand to ever be anything like the UK.

with constant washing?

In so many cases, have a look who is the cleanest----move your fridge, and chairs, bed, tv table.

outside land tidiness, how they prepare food and the washing up after. if she speaks again---take her and move the furniture and point it out.

Have you noticed how many times they use a brush sweeping useless areas in a given day ??? How often do Thais clean windows, look at the interior of a Thai car.

I am not Bashing Thailand I am bashing the Thais that live like this. OK there are some dirty smelly farrangs around.

Yes mate, the bill is monthly. The guy comes on a bike and charges everybody same day. I can't read the bill... it's all Thai 555.

The major numbers I see are, going down the bill: 161, 152, 9, 90 baht, 5 baht... then 691 , 8 , 1107. total 95 baht... if u can make head nor tail of that lot facepalm.gif

Just looks like you used 9 cubic meters @ about 9 baht, compared to my 14 cubic meters @ 14 baht approx. I am Udon. meter reading motor bike man red punched in figures and out pops the ticket and placed in my post box. looks like your area is subsidizing your water more than mine.

with constant washing?

it's called tradition/culture (or brainwashing, up to u).

when i wake up, out of bed 5 seconds, my neighbour asks: APNAAM JANG ?

--- no, i'll have a coffee (or 3) and breakfast first and will shower when my brain switches on in 2 hours or so ... ---

however, i do shower MANY times a day as i move by bicycle... keeping cool in this weather is a must.

Edited by stickylies

Just looks like you used 9 cubic meters @ about 9 baht, compared to my 14 cubic meters @ 14 baht approx. I am Udon. meter reading motor bike man red punched in figures and out pops the ticket and placed in my post box. looks like your area is subsidizing your water more than mine.

That's a shame, if it is so, as I live in Phatumthani, which is almost or maybe in the greater area of BKK.

The suggestion by NOITOM to tax water and institute property taxes deserve comment. The price of water should be raised to reflect its actual value plus some to generate revenues for water management project, IF such projects can be implemented with minimal levels of corruption.

Instituting property taxes is a bad idea. This is Thailand, after all. So the rich would manage to get laws passed that would exempt their big properties, while the average Thai family would face one more impediment to home ownership. As for the funds raised, no doubt they would go for infrastructure projects like a new road to the rich patrons factory, etc., etc.

The lack of property taxes certainly benefits average Thais more than the pie-in-the-sky infrastructure from property taxes.