Dramatic TV commercial 'supports human trafficking'

webfact

" contact the authorities " Many of these tykes and their keepers will sit right in the shade of a police box and you gotta know the BIB will never even think to check to see what all is going on.

I tend to agree with what the Mirror folks are saying. The kids languish in the heat all day until someone gives them too much cough medicine and they are made to go to sleep.

Nasty business.

• Like 1

It's nice to think that there is a Thai out there that would be so kind to beggars. Fact is the beggars ain't Thai and couldn't get an education, even if they were cos they have to hand over the money to their local thug at the end of the day

• Like 1

This is why once a month me and the wife buy 5000 baht worth of fruit drinks, chocolate milk, toys, books, stationary.... etc. Then we distribute them around several orphanages and homeless shelters in the Korat region.

We simply do not trust handing cash over to the people who run these places.

Money is too tempting and the wife forbids it.

Last week we turned up at one home and the woman who runs it told us that they didn't need that stuff, and next time we come can we call her, because they need money more importantly. The wife said we won't go back there now.

Pity, I feel quite awful for the orphans there, who lost their parents to aids.

While I think what your doing is great.

Don't you think that one reason they ask for money is to pay the bills (electric, water etc) and feed the kids.. toys and chocolate milk are excellent once in a while. But bills have to be paid all the time!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

One of my great conflicts here in Bangkok. Yes, I know it is all controlled by a "Mafia" and that these beggars are trucked in daily from Cambodia and Myanmar...a Thai TV station several years go even followed one of the trucks transporting them all the way to Aranya Pratet.

Babies are indeed rented; the lady who has begged with nursing babies at the base of the Suk. Soi 15 footbridge the last 6 years has a seemingly endless supply of infants.

And yet, sometimes I still give, knowing that most of what I give will go into the hands of the "Mafia" and the Police enablers.

Why? Because regardless of all the moralities, these people ARE desperate and if this is the only way they can sustain themselves, corrupt though it is, then so be it. Until the authorities have the will to actually do something about it that just doesn't sweep the problem under the rug, that actually gives these desperate people a legitimate means to support themselves, these people will be there...and their need is real.

Where do you start?

• Like 1

The foundation raises strong concerns. It's a certainty that the Thai creative advertising and marketing people at the insurance company and the Thai agency give a minutes thought to the plight of the beggar trade. Rather here they are making them the object of sympathy and emotion. The other point is you should never give chicken on the bone to dogs. They get splinters of chicken bone caught in their throats and esophagus.

• Like 1

which seemingly applaud the act of giving alms to beggars on the streets of Bangkok which the organisation says amounts to giving financial support to human trafficking rings.

Agree 100%, which is why I never give.

"Giving money to child beggars amounts to supporting human trafficking, and it might also create even more child beggars," the Mirror Foundation said, adding that those who wish to help child beggars should instead contact the authorities so that the children could be rescued and placed in formal welfare facilities.

Another example of very poor journalism. How about providing the name and number of who to contact?

I agree with the overall message of the video, doing good things and generosity have rewards in themselves...

About the begging aspect... When I first came here, Thai friends almost universally warned me that the beggars were controlled by mafias, the children rented, others mutilated deliberately, and that many were not even Thai.... That said, I have to believe that many of them really are just people down on their luck, there's an old woman and a child on a footbridge a little over a mile from my place ... I often give money if I see them, something just says to me to do so... Yesterday there was an old woman with two little dogs on a footbridge closer to my place, I gave her some money, because I felt sorry for the dogs, though I think they were being used same way children are, to arouse sympathy. There are some I won't give money to, though, the ones that shake their cups at me, some in my area look like junkies (long stringy hair and beards, barefoot, often sleeping on the overpasses - I'm not sure they are even Thai).... It's a hard situation, I mean on the one hand I don't like idea of supporting crime syndicates exploiting people, but also what if the person I turn a blind eye towards really is in need.... I've become much more hard-hearted since I moved to Thailand nearly five years ago than I was before, but sometimes I think we just have to listen to our spirit and what it says to do....

• Like 1

Well said Bluebluewater,

While I am sure the Mirror foundation does a good job, there is no substitute for foot soldiers on the streets. Alas the bribery and corruption will prevail and make their job so much harder. this is not limited to Thailand though, places like Rio are also mired in this heinous trade. I do not feign to know the answer, but one thing I do is give them a fruit drink, or some sticky rice, or both, but never money. Even then, am I doing the right thing??sad.png

Well I put an I like on it because I agree with the give them food part.

As for the rest yes it is happening in Thailand.

The question I have is with all this information the mirror has have they ever attempted to go to the police with the information (proof) or are they just another run off at the mouth organization who will do nothing to benefit the people who are in need.

Ask yourself if the kid's weren't begging for these people what would they do to get food and clothing?wai.gif

How dare you tell people not to help the poor with no other excuse than a rumor about a rumor about a rumor.

Maybe it is true. Maybe they are indedtured. Maybe they are not. I am happy at least to hear that someone has an eye on this- but that's all I've done is hear it. I've never actually seen evidence myself.

A responsible journalist would have included links to other resources, rather than asking us to take their word for it.

All I've seen with my own eyes are people that very obviously need help.

• Like 1

Ok, so beggars in bkk are part of human trafficking, pedophiles and god knows what, beggars in Europe are all part of criminal east-European gang finding ways to use our open borders, in fact no one is poor enough to beg on the streets, it's a myth, and we should never give money to anyone except huge corporation that we can trust will give us exactly what we pay for!

This sickens me... Yesterday I gave some change to a guy laying on the under Rama 8 Bridge, he had a bag with all his belongings. Most people seemed to fear him for some reason. He looked dirty, but not harmful. Later I gave money to a blind singer. Not on Khao san but at an Isaan street food place near the river close to Thewet. I don't know if she was blind or not, I will never know.. But to assume "she's probaböy faking it to get some cash" is judgmental, cynical and just plain stupid. And by singing she actually did some work anyway, and therefore deserved some $$

Yea, I would be very weary of your boys and girls running up and down Khao San and Rambuttri selling half-rotten roses. Of course they don't make the main profit, perhaps they make a meal or something similar, but as for profit, I'm sure that goes to someone else. As for young kids looking like they are about to cry, or have that apathetic stir in their eyes, begging for money. Well try to speak with them, ask them where they come from. Why are they alone in Bangkok. If you know some Thai you will know right away if they are Burmese, Cambodian or Thais.. Secondly offer a meal, offer something some help, there are many ways to help except giving money. But money is not always a bad way to help as well.

At that comes to my last point. So what if the dirty man sleeping under the bridge goes and buy a bottle of Lao Khao for the Change he collected?? That's his choice! If he is an alcoholic, then alcohol for sure helps him get through the day. There may be many reason why a person ends up in a situation like this. Like no relatives, being left out of the family, making some mistakes while young which now hunts him/her for life, or simply mentally handicapped, it's not like the psychiatric health care is it it's best in Thailand...

So I would never hesitate to help someone in need, no matter they might be scammers or not, we are not speaking millions of baht here, we are speaking 5, 10 or perhaps even a 20 if I feel in that mood. This brings me in to the whole alcohol ban at songkran as well, I mean what's wrong with people?? Did we become 18 only to be taken care of by the state instead of our parents?? That seems like pure ludicrous to me. Accidents will go up, but so will enjoyment and happiness for a few days, not everything should be measured in statistics of good/bad. Safe/dangerous... Yes, I'm a hardcore libertarian.. And I believe in freedom over all.

I see nothing wrong with this commercial. I see nothing wrong with helping people in need. If you suspect them, then be weary, but that doesn't mean everyone out begging does it for some bigger organization involved with selling kids to perverts... Judge by yourself, as with all other questions. You are the boss of your life, so take some responsibility for Gods sake...

(and please mods, can u at least tell me why you erase my posts next time so I know what I did wrong??)

Edited by banglassie
  • Like 1

If people want to give to beggars, that's their business.

Not so ... carry that concept to its logical conclusion and you are only a step away from ...If someone wants to kill someone that's their business. The implication that as a bystander we do nothing ?

A good quote ..

'The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing'

• Like 1

Please spare us from the self-righteous likes of the Mirror Foundation.

Maybe they think the Insurance Company should donate what it is spending on the advert to THEM, so they can pay all of their "Paid Staff."

Is EVERYONE at the Foundation Un-Paid?

I will concede that they have a point, in that "some" of the begging kids might be being "used" by gangs but as someone has already pointed out, you don't need to give them MONEY... Give them FOOD and Water.

Don't begrudge the Insurance Company, the Advertising Agent and the TV Stations a living. If they and all other business enterprises "go-bust" then there will be No One left to donate to outfits such as the Mirror Foundation....Reflect On That, if you will.

Edited by Torrens54

I agree with the overall message of the video, doing good things and generosity have rewards in themselves...

About the begging aspect... When I first came here, Thai friends almost universally warned me that the beggars were controlled by mafias, the children rented, others mutilated deliberately, and that many were not even Thai.... That said, I have to believe that many of them really are just people down on their luck, there's an old woman and a child on a footbridge a little over a mile from my place ... I often give money if I see them, something just says to me to do so... Yesterday there was an old woman with two little dogs on a footbridge closer to my place, I gave her some money, because I felt sorry for the dogs, though I think they were being used same way children are, to arouse sympathy. There are some I won't give money to, though, the ones that shake their cups at me, some in my area look like junkies (long stringy hair and beards, barefoot, often sleeping on the overpasses - I'm not sure they are even Thai).... It's a hard situation, I mean on the one hand I don't like idea of supporting crime syndicates exploiting people, but also what if the person I turn a blind eye towards really is in need.... I've become much more hard-hearted since I moved to Thailand nearly five years ago than I was before, but sometimes I think we just have to listen to our spirit and what it says to do....

Don't be suckered by the cute little dogs. I've seen child beggars that grow older as time goes by, but when the dogs grow older and bigger they're replaced by a younger cuter dog.

Well said Bluebluewater,

While I am sure the Mirror foundation does a good job, there is no substitute for foot soldiers on the streets. Alas the bribery and corruption will prevail and make their job so much harder. this is not limited to Thailand though, places like Rio are also mired in this heinous trade. I do not feign to know the answer, but one thing I do is give them a fruit drink, or some sticky rice, or both, but never money. Even then, am I doing the right thing??sad.png

Well I put an I like on it because I agree with the give them food part.

As for the rest yes it is happening in Thailand.

The question I have is with all this information the mirror has have they ever attempted to go to the police with the information (proof) or are they just another run off at the mouth organization who will do nothing to benefit the people who are in need.

Ask yourself if the kid's weren't begging for these people what would they do to get food and clothing?wai.gif

Do you actually believe that these enslaved kids are being well taken care of by the money they are forced to give to their enslavers? If so, then give, give, give so you can help the kids even more.

So naive. It's been long known already how they manipulate something as a dark business into a charity. Get informed. It's a business that is all planned out, for example they run a debt business where the client is unable to return the money, so they amputate the client and force them to beg for money until the terms are met. Terms are usually principal times crazy amount of interest basically the client will NEVER be able to repay the debt in this lifetime. They probably live in places no human can really live in, in the morning gets picked up on a truck and drop off at the "positions" they are required to hold post in. Someone checks up on them once in a while (Not to care if they are okay, but to check how much money they have got so far and remove the money from them).

If you are paying, notice I dont use the word donate, for these services, you will support the organization behind this and only enlarge it. A business exists only if there are customers. If nobody ever gives them money, the system has failed and will be removed. They will not waste time manhunting people to do the job, waste fuel to send them to specific posts, and so on. SO STOP! Stop making yourself feel better that you are doing a good deed. You are just lying to yourself, you must face reality and realize the harm you have done.

On the other hand, what you could do to test, is to provide help in terms of materials. This is what I do. To world charities, orphanages, etc. I never give money, always get to know the person in need and understand what they require to make their life better. That is genuine.

I remember driving my car to a stop light once. This 5 yr old came up to my car. I smiled, looked in my car, found 3 ferrero rochers, gave it to him. He got angry, and yelled "mai aow!!". Just wants money. Now we see the real picture.

• Like 1

I never give money to any beggar. Luckily here in rural Isan there are no child-beggars, but quite a number of adults in a poor state and begging. Sometimes I just get into a 7/11 and buy food and water for the beggar, never give money.

Another story: in my village I noticed 2 schoolgirls (sisters) attending school irregularly. On my remarks I heard that the family did not have the money to buy two school uniforms, so one sister went e.g. on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and the other sister (one year difference) the other days, mother washed the clothes after school so that next day the other girl could wear them....

Needless to say that I went with mother and two girls to the local market and bought a set of school uniforms for both girls.

Small money for me, a life-improving event for the girls, never seen kids so happy and thankful, the mother cried....

Sometimes need for help is around your corner, in your village, or in a poor part of a large town/city. Help there, no risk of misuse of money, as you supply goods, food, you lose nothing, you win a lot!

Excellent and congratulations. I'll get my own daughter to check around at her school for any similar situation. Tend to doubt there will be, but you never know and if someone is in this kind of trouble, we'd love to help out.

Once again, congratulations, we'll check it at the start of the new School Year in CNX.

• Like 1

Thailand as a nation supports human trafficking, and it is painfully obvious. So someone running an ad that *may* support human trafficking, is no surprise to anyone other than the Thais who have their heads stuck up their day dreaming, delusional, bums.