South African woman held in 7 kg cocaine bust at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

DId immigration carefully check all other passengers from the same location..??

It is common to tip police to one mule so that 2 -20 others get thru scot -free.

In the US, one truckfull of drugs is tipped to draw police from other checkpoints, where 10 - 20 trucks drive thru unmolested.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So who advantages from this 'tip'.

Perhaps someone with an inside connection who can get the coke freed on bail, or who earns a % amount on future sale value?

or maybe they get someone freed from prison who is already serving a like rap.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

And yet despite these raids Suvarnabhumi generally doesn't x-ray passenger's luggage. Strange that, but in China, Vietnam and even Myanmar all bags are screened upon arrival in the country. If those countries can do it, Thailand can too. I'm sure that if all passenger's luggage was screened upon arrival at Suvarnabhumi, more drug smugglers would be caught.

Interestingly, all luggage is screened when arriving at the land border post of Aranyaprathet in Sa Kaeo province (opposite Poipet in Cambodia) but this does not apply at any other Thai-Cambodian checkpoints or those with Laos or Myanmar. I don't recall any such facilities at the Malaysian borders either.

. Sawanaket , Laos has one, not one in Vietiene, though

Are you talking about the land border? I drove across to Savannakhet in late 2012 and there were no scanners visible on the Thai side then. Then again, I drove across the border unlike most travelers here, so that might make a difference. I have never heard of anyone needing to pass their bags through an x-ray screener if driving a car into or out of Thailand.

Since almost no cars come across the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border (due to Cambodian officials there generally not wanting to allow cars in despite an agreement in place) chances are you'll be walking and bags will be screened. Even if you take the cross-border bus you will take your bags off the bus and place them through the scanner. However, cars are generally treated differently to buses in this part of the world - at police checkpoints buses are usually searched whereas passenger cars are often just waived through.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Locked Up Abroad - at least she has an opportunity to sell her story when she gets out of prison in about 12 years.

12 yrs?? Last year one woman was found with 1.5 kgs in her deadlock hair - she got a huge fine pluss 15 yrs !! 7 kgs would be a much LONGER sentence surely?

How do you find 7kg of cocaine in Bangkok? Thought the stuff was made elsewhere

?

Yes? Can I help you?

Well as you ask, I was wondering the point of your question.

So was I...if you go back and read the full thread. Try to keep up

Perhaps someone with an inside connection who can get the coke freed on bail, or who earns a % amount on future sale value?

Or the same guy that had another mule in the same plane with 20 KG Excess baggage and then conveniently tipped the police about the girl...

They got 7 kilos, he passed 40 kilos....

So was I...if you go back and read the full thread. Try to keep up

How do you find 7kg of cocaine in Bangkok? Thought the stuff was made elsewhere

?

Yes? Can I help you?

Well as you ask, I was wondering the point of your question.

What, the thread stating woman flies in from Doha to Bangkok and gets busted?

Or the same guy that had another mule in the same plane with 20 KG Excess baggage and then conveniently tipped the police about the girl...

They got 7 kilos, he passed 40 kilos....

That is exactly the way Nigerian and South African drug operators work. It is common knowledge in South Africa that young poor desperate woman are victimized and used as mules. They sacrifice one to pass through the larger quantities. The girls are scapegoats. Many are functional illiterates. Until you have lived or experienced the consciousness if these poor people I would reserve human judgement on their and ability to make big picture decisions. We all live on relative levels of Maslow's hierarchy. Many of these young woman are at the bottom. No excuse as they live in a civil world but in their mind they don't see the consequnence, only fear.

Sent from my mobile