No more Mike's Burgers

Ulysses G.

Mike's Burgers went out of business a few weeks ago and the building has been empty ever since. Today, I noticed that the "Mike's" sign has been removed and it says "BB Burgers" instead. It also advertises "sanwich [sic]" for sale, which means that it is very unlikely that the owner is the guy running the White Plate. sad.png

Mike's was a Chiang Mai landmark and was really good when Mike started it many years ago, but it has been going downhill ever since. It will be interesting to see if BB Burgers can recapture that lost glory.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think it is out of business....A while ago, dining at Miguel's (Mike's in Spanish), a well known Mexican Restaurant, the new owner told me that the original owner of his restaurant and of Mike's Hamburger is a Canadian guy named Mike who likes to creates successful business and resell it. May be true.

I do not think it is out of business....A while ago, dining at Miguel's (Mike's in Spanish), a well known Mexican Restaurant, the new owner told me that the original owner of his restaurant and of Mike's Hamburger is a Canadian guy named Mike who likes to creates successful business and resell it. May be true.

Almost correct. The original owner of Mike's and Miguel's is American. The present owner of Miguel's is Canadian.

Mike was in Florida the last that I heard. Every once in a while he sends me an e-mail threatening to come back to Chiang Mai and open a real New York Pizza place, but I will believe it when I see it.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Made a big mistake in re-visiting Miguel's Mexican Restaurant in Nong Hoi (on old road to Lamphun). Discovered that it's no longer Miguel's, but rather "Tex-Mex" Restaurant, and the food and service are bad, very bad.

Who are the new owners?

I thought the original owner was English and runs a new restaurant,near kad suan kaew

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

That was the second owner. He even called himself "Mike" when he owned it, but that is not his real name (Brian?).

I am told that the owner of the Tex Mex restaurant was the Thai manager of the same place when it was called Miguel's.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Almost correct. The original owner of Mike's and Miguel's is American. The present owner of Miguel's is Canadian.

Mike was in Florida the last that I heard. Every once in a while he sends me an e-mail threatening to come back to Chiang Mai and open a real New York Pizza place, but I will believe it when I see it.

Tell him he's bluffing and challenge him to live up to those words.

• Like 1

I thought the original owner was English and runs a new restaurant,near kad suan kaew

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

That was the second owner. He even called himself "Mike" when he owned it, but that is not his real name (Brian?).

I am told that the owner of the Tex Mex restaurant was the Thai manager of the same place when it was called Miguel's.

yes it is Brian.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

Gecko's. Hand formed charcoal cooked burgers.

"Hand Formed" ??? Whats that? sounds like something to be avoided at all costs!

( NOTE. Burgers are flattish and circular. Are hand formed ones a different shape, if so they wont fit the buns !

• Like 2

( NOTE. Burgers are flattish and circular. Are hand formed ones a different shape, if so they wont fit the buns !

Thought he was talking about the charcoal. Ouch w00t.gif

• Like 1

IMO, Gecko's Burgers are pretty good for Thailand and not expensive. They are charcoal broiled, which makes Thai beef taste better.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

PostmanPat, on 06 Apr 2014 - 17:52, said:
northernjohn, on 06 Apr 2014 - 16:28, said:

...........unless they (the buns) are "hand formed" to fit the aforementioned burgers. smile.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Mike's on Nimmen also closed it's doors a few weeks ago. It looked like they were renovating, but nothing seems to be going on there now. I assume it's a different owner but I could be wrong.

I think they remodeled about two years ago.

Patties made by hand, NOT pressed out by a Macca's type machine.

White Plate and Dukes are hand formed from top quality beef mince.

• Like 1

Mike did it when there was a lot more Westerners with money coming here and the world economy was much better. He also had a lot of restaurant experience back home. It probably would not work now, although Dave the Duke might be able to pull it off.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I eat McDonalds,it works for me

They work for me as a break from the higher class burgers at Burger King. More like a snack compared to the burger at Burger King. Of course you pay more for the one at Burger King. Looking forward to my hand formed char broiled hamburger at Gecko's.

Has any one had any thing to eat at the old Mike's on the moat?

• Like 1

I rode by there this evening in one of those new, hi-so, fancy, red tuk-tuks. The new "no-name" Burger place was bustling with Chinese customers, so I guess some tourists don't care about the nuanced history of this hallowed burger corner of Chiang Mai and will eat anything that comes from a novel-looking stand where you sit on a stool breathing traffic fumes while you dine.

The burgers that Brian/formerly known as Mike does at his current restaurant "Pern's" are way better than anything he could have turned out back when he was in burger corner. And, of course, when you're really in the mood for a burger, there's really only one place to go in Chiang Mai -- Duke's, of course.

• Like 1

And, of course, when you're really in the mood for a burger, there's really only one place to go in Chiang Mai -- Duke's, of course.

why Duke's didn't jump on this Legendary (yes, that's right...Mike's deserves that status in CM, it certainly goes without saying for those that have been here for more than 6 or 7+ years) spot . . . well who knows?!? high rent? unaware ??