No more Mike's Burgers

Ulysses G.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think it is out of business....A while ago, dining at Miguel's (Mike's in Spanish), a well known Mexican Restaurant, the new owner told me that the original owner of his restaurant and of Mike's Hamburger is a Canadian guy named Mike who likes to creates successful business and resell it. May be true.

Let's get this straight. Does Miguels (the Mexican Restaurant) have a new owner? What happened to Mark? Has anything changed? I haven't been in a while as I'm down South at the beach. But I was hoping to go to Miguels as soon as I return.

I live in Nong Hoi, 89 Plaza area. My understanding is the old Miguels there was owned by a brother and sister. The sister went back to Canada and now the brother took it over. And YES, it's now called Tex-Mex, and YES, the food isn't as good. I used to eat there almost once a week, now not at all. I make the trip to the moat and eat at that Miguels.

I think the problem now for a lot of the expat ownership western food type places is that they are under serious competition from a new breed of Thai owned "fusion" type restaurants serving good food and drink including wine at a reasonable price.

Theres a couple of places called, I think, Wine Cafe, one branch in Star Avenue near the Bus Station, and the other branch in the old Think Park area at the end of Nimmanhemin, where you get excellent Thai food, but also I had by far the best Fish & Chips I ve had in 10 years in Thailand.....good ribs as well, and decent wine for 400 baht a litre, nice, modern places to sit, live music (not too loud!)........and there are others too......I m not connected in any way, just commenting.

Talking as we were about Mikes Burgers.....if you can go to a place like I ve described here....and similar others, why would you go and sit on a bar stool in the street with traffic roaring past 2 metres away??!

There really are some young, modern innovative Thai entrepreneurs actively improving the Chiang Mai eating scene, and a lot of your old traditional places, such as Mikes, Miguels, etc etc really have to shape up or possibly die!

IMO, the best burgers are at the White Plate. They have very strange business hours, but it is worth it for the real deal. I don't know how he does it, but those burgers are pretty much as good as back home.

Miguel's on the moat does not have a new owner and Mark (the owner of Miguel's) does not own Tex Mex. The Thai man who formerly was the manager owns Tex Mex now.

IMO, the best burgers are at the White Plate. They have very strange business hours, but it is worth it for the real deal. I don't know how he does it, but those burgers are pretty much as good as back home.

Miguel's on the moat does not have a new owner and Mark (the owner of Miguel's) does not own Tex Mex. The Thai man who formerly was the manager owns Tex Mex now.

Now you are going to catch the wrath of The Duke's Brigade, UG!

I like Burger King.

Edited by hml367
  • Like 1

I live in Nong Hoi, 89 Plaza area. My understanding is the old Miguels there was owned by a brother and sister. The sister went back to Canada and now the brother took it over. And YES, it's now called Tex-Mex, and YES, the food isn't as good. I used to eat there almost once a week, now not at all. I make the trip to the moat and eat at that Miguels.

The brother is Mark, the owner of the original Miguels. His sister who was the owner of Miguels Nong Hoi returned to Canada for family reasons. Mark does not have anything to do with the place in Nong Hoi. For a while, Mark had a Miguels on Nimmanheiman as well but it was fairly short-lived. Parking was terrible and Thai students would drink there but almost never ordered food. I think I answered my own question - [original] Miguels is under the same ownership.

Edit: UG confirmed - thanks.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

Blimey o Reilly, I wondered how long it would take before this thread turned into a Dukes Publicity Machine.....again! Thanks, Nancy!

My only Dukes comment in this thread is this. "Biggest is not necessarily best" !!! Unless of course you enjoy being over 100 kilos, high cholesterol, blood pressure sky high.....similar in fact to about 75% of UK and USA residents......I noticed on the BBC the other day that Gok Wan, the British/ Chinese presenter now has a show specifically designed to dress fat people in a supposedly fashionable way!

If you want to look good in fashions....lose weight.....simple!!!!

I love the Duke's. All in all, it is my favorite restaurant in town. However, there are a few items that I prefer elsewhere, like burritos at Miguel's and burgers at the White Plate. No one beats the Duke's pizza and a lot of other things though and the thing about Dave is that he does not rest on his laurels, he keeps improving the recipes. There are a few things that I did not like at first, but he kept working on them and they got better and better. His coleslaw is one example.

I like McDonald's and Burger King when I am in the mood for a fast-food burger. A buddy of mine once said, it is not a hamburger, it is a Whopper (or Big Mac). I thought that was very sensible. I prefer McDonald's in Thailand, because they both seem to use the same lousy beef and McDonald's is much less expensive. I liked Burger King better in America, because they used better beef.

• Like 1

If anyone in Chiang Mai made a burger like an Ultimate Cheeseburger (for the cholesterol junkies), and that includes Mike's, by any name, or the Duke's, which I will not go to unless forced, I WOULD go there!

I thought Mikes was owned by Hector Savage. From Detroit. He's an ex-boxer but his real name was Joey Chicago who fought under the name of Kid Minneapolis. He did make great burgers until he moved to Cincinnati for his last fight against Tex Colorado, the Arizona Assassin, who fought out of Philly and and had a great cheese steak restaurant.

• Like 2

I love the Duke's. All in all, it is my favorite restaurant in town. However, there are a few items that I prefer elsewhere, like burritos at Miguel's and burgers at the White Plate. No one beats the Duke's pizza and a lot of other things though and the thing about Dave is that he does not rest on his laurels, he keeps improving the recipes. There are a few things that I did not like at first, but he kept working on them and they got better and better. His coleslaw is one example.

I like McDonald's and Burger King when I am in the mood for a fast-food burger. A buddy of mine once said, it is not a hamburger, it is a Whopper (or Big Mac). I thought that was very sensible. I prefer McDonald's in Thailand, because they both seem to use the same lousy beef and McDonald's is much less expensive. I liked Burger King better in America, because they used better beef.

"His coleslaw is one example"

Apropos of which, Rimping IMO does a fine coleslaw, with a hint of celery @ B55 per-pot, goes well in a cheese-&-coleslaw sandwhich or roll. thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately it, and the egg-mayo sandwich-filler, are often unavailable at the Mee Chok Plaza branch where I usually shop. sad.png

Don't you know that we can turn ANY food thread into a "We love Duke's thread"? If not me, someone else will.

Just to show you, maybe I'll start a new thread on "Best place for a real British afternoon high tea?" and we'll see how long it takes before it becomes a Duke's thread.

• Like 1

Don't you know that we can turn ANY food thread into a "We love Duke's thread"? If not me, someone else will.

Just to show you, maybe I'll start a new thread on "Best place for a real British afternoon high tea?" and we'll see how long it takes before it becomes a Duke's thread.

Every time someone mentions The Duke's, I think of anywhere else I can get the order.

"His coleslaw is one example"

Apropos of which, Rimping IMO does a fine coleslaw, with a hint of celery @ B55 per-pot, goes well in a cheese-&-coleslaw sandwhich or roll. thumbsup.gif

That sandwich sounds great. I never put coleslaw on sandwiches until I lived in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina where they put in on hotdogs and BBQ on a roll. I have been a fan ever since.

Speaking of which, Butter is Better has great all beef hotdogs and very decent coleslaw as well as excellent chocolate chip cookies for desert - all of which are as good as back in USA.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I eat McDonalds,it works for me

They work for me as a break from the higher class burgers at Burger King. More like a snack compared to the burger at Burger King. Of course you pay more for the one at Burger King. Looking forward to my hand formed char broiled hamburger at Gecko's.

Has any one had any thing to eat at the old Mike's on the moat?

I had my first (and last) Burger King burger the other day. For 220 - 230? baht I got a small dried out chip of meat in a soggy role. Burger King must be an acquired taste. I binned mine after a couple of bites.

I think the problem now for a lot of the expat ownership western food type places is that they are under serious competition from a new breed of Thai owned "fusion" type restaurants serving good food and drink including wine at a reasonable price.

Theres a couple of places called, I think, Wine Cafe, one branch in Star Avenue near the Bus Station, and the other branch in the old Think Park area at the end of Nimmanhemin, where you get excellent Thai food, but also I had by far the best Fish & Chips I ve had in 10 years in Thailand.....good ribs as well, and decent wine for 400 baht a litre, nice, modern places to sit, live music (not too loud!)........and there are others too......I m not connected in any way, just commenting.

Talking as we were about Mikes Burgers.....if you can go to a place like I ve described here....and similar others, why would you go and sit on a bar stool in the street with traffic roaring past 2 metres away??!

There really are some young, modern innovative Thai entrepreneurs actively improving the Chiang Mai eating scene, and a lot of your old traditional places, such as Mikes, Miguels, etc etc really have to shape up or possibly die!

More likely different customer demographics.

The old western sexpat with money to burn is gone, retired hubby and wifey teams are rarer, lots of Chinese tourists.

Very few wants to pay premium prices for a very cheap western burger.

Once you start pricing your meals at much over 100bht, essentially you're finished.

The pricey western food places are chasing a diminishing market.

Edited by BritManToo

Once you start pricing your meals at much over 100bht, essentially you're finished.

Tell that to the Duke's. He is packed full all the time - with expats and Thais - and opening something like five new places around town. He probably does not have any meals for under 100 baht, but he knows what he is doing and sells quality food for a fair price. His place is popular with Thais now. He doesn't really need tourists looking for backpacker pricing.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

I agree Ulysses. I'm not in Chiang Mai now but up until about a year ago the Dukes by the river offered a 99 baht burger with fries. The best bargain in town in my opinion. I think the prices bumped up a little but it makes no difference. You get quality and value. The updated menu now has even more options. If someone can tell me where one can find better American food and a menu with more variety please post it. Prices are very fair and the Tuesday Mexican night is also good!

Every time someone mentions The Duke's, I think of anywhere else I can get the order.

Such is the fame of Dukes.

Unfortunately there is the only place with an on the menus burger that has bacon and Blue Cheese for the cholesterol lover. Then again a double cheese whopper with bacon might give it a run. Both outstanding burgers in their class.

All burgers were not born the same. Different classes. Thus we have the fast food ones and the ones from Geckos and a secret place I am not going to divulge. Hint the cheese burger comes for under 100 baht with an egg on it plus bacon.giggle.gif

I agree Ulysses. I'm not in Chiang Mai now but up until about a year ago the Dukes by the river offered a 99 baht burger with fries. The best bargain in town in my opinion. I think the prices bumped up a little but it makes no difference. You get quality and value. The updated menu now has even more options. If someone can tell me where one can find better American food and a menu with more variety please post it. Prices are very fair and the Tuesday Mexican night is also good!

99 baht + VAT + Service Charge!

Service charge??? At the Dukes by the River??? Thanks for the updated information Jagi because I never remember paying a service charge there. I always tipped what I thought was fair but never saw a service charge on my bill? When did that start? Of course that wouldn't deter me anyway because there's a lot of places that do include the service charge with food not even close to The Dukes!

Tell that to the Duke's. He is packed full all the time - with expats and Thais - and opening something like five new places around town. He probably does not have any meals for under 100 baht, but he knows what he is doing and sells quality food for a fair price. His place is popular with Thais now. He doesn't really need tourists looking for backpacker pricing.

The Chinese have already discovered the Dukes. When I was in there last, about a month ago, there were 2 tables of well to do Chinese next to us. They ordered one of everything. The bill for each table must have been 4 or 5K THB.

I would say that the Chinese tourist looking to spend under 100 THB for a meal are the minority now. As each moth passes there are more independent travelers and less tour groups.

I might add that the Dukes demographics have totally changed. Now it is usually 70% Thais dining there.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

The outfit known as "Mike's" opened a place last year across the street from the JJ complex (maybe it's all JJ's I'm not sure. The food was appallingly bad, and the service was pitiful. Usually it was manned by a couple of young Thai guys with no English skills who hid out with their "smart" devices, avoiding all customer contact, unless the customer was Thai, which rarely happened. I tried the place twice, just to see if the first time was an anomaly. It was not.

They folded after about 3 months, but placed a sign out front claiming that they would be re-opening soon. Fortunately for the dining public, they stayed shut.

As for that landmark location on the corner, you can tell from 50 yards away that eating there will be a big mistake.

Agreed. Of the burgers I've had in Chiang Mai I would rate them like this:

1. White Plate (best by far)

2. Elvis Loco (the 50/50 burger)

3. The Dukes