No more Mike's Burgers

Ulysses G.

The whole "pink slime" thing is nonsense. It is safer than what businesses were using before. McDonald's stopped using it anyway, after all the hype from the nutters.

LFTB is not really slimy and it is reasonably safe and nutritious.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/04/is-it-wrong-to-feed-pink-slime-to-our-children-in-school-lunches/255320/

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus we have the fast food ones and the ones from Geckos and a secret place I am not going to divulge.

Not going to divulge, because you hate them so much you want them out of business ASAP? ;)

Because the best way to accomplish that is to completely not mention it to anyone.

Thus we have the fast food ones and the ones from Geckos and a secret place I am not going to divulge.

Not going to divulge, because you hate them so much you want them out of business ASAP? ;)

Because the best way to accomplish that is to completely not mention it to anyone.

Maybe the owner has asked him ...... "Please, please, whatever you do, don't recommend us on TVCM."

Besides, if the success of any restaurant is dependant on them being known here, they're in trouble.

• Like 2

IMO, the best burgers are at the White Plate. They have very strange business hours, but it is worth it for the real deal. I don't know how he does it, but those burgers are pretty much as good as back home.

Miguel's on the moat does not have a new owner and Mark (the owner of Miguel's) does not own Tex Mex. The Thai man who formerly was the manager owns Tex Mex now.

Agreed. Of the burgers I've had in Chiang Mai I would rate them like this:

1. White Plate (best by far)

2. Elvis Loco (the 50/50 burger)

3. The Dukes

+1

Not going to divulge, because you hate them so much you want them out of business ASAP? wink.png

Not a chance of them going out of business. Their burgers are not what they are known for.

In fact they are not known and do fine with out the Thai Visa crowd. To the best of my knowledge they have been here for over 8 years. They were here when I first came to Chiang Mai those many years ago. When I finally moved here they were still here unchanged as they are today.

• Like 1

The whole "pink slime" thing is nonsense. It is safer than what businesses were using before. McDonald's stopped using it anyway, after all the hype from the nutters.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/04/is-it-wrong-to-feed-pink-slime-to-our-children-in-school-lunches/255320/

Jamie Oliver is not a 'nutter'; he's English.

• Like 1

Jamie Oliver is not a 'nutter'; he's English.

Is there a difference.

Got to thinking about the square burgers. Remember there is a whole chain of Wendy's fast food that has square burgers in Canada and the States. Wendys

I like junglechief's post about hand made burger's. Explained why they taste better.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

Heaven help us --- please !!!!! How many unacculturated cholesterol-freak Americans are there out there, anyway !!! biggrin.png

Had you any preference what culture we change to?

Judging from the number of members from Great Briton I would guess there is less unacculturated Yanks than Brit's

Heaven help us --- please !!!!! How many unacculturated cholesterol-freak Americans are there out there, anyway !!! biggrin.png

Judging from the number of members from Great Briton I would guess there is less unacculturated Yanks than Brit's

"Acculturate" normally means adjust to where you are. This seems difficult for so many who post here.

Otherwise, looking at what you have had to say, there is the traditional British love of "well-hung beef" to enjoy for roast dinner. This, by the way, has absolutely nothing to do with sexual gratification, so don't go there, please! Anyway, this is a hamburger thread which is close to UG's heart. Don't break his heart; just donate to his Statin pharma fund so his heart will keep pumping!

And we certainly don't need to fight the American Revolutionary War again here, do we ?! Please !!!

Edited by Mapguy

FYI - a new burger place apparently called "Hamburg" is "opening soon" in Think Park, opposite Maya.

The name reminds me of the 'Calvin and Hobbes' comic where Calvin asked his mother if hamburgers were made from people from Hamburg : )

Not going to divulge, because you hate them so much you want them out of business ASAP? wink.png

Maybe the owner has asked him ...... "Please, please, whatever you do, don't recommend us on TVCM."

Besides, if the success of any restaurant is dependant on them being known here, they're in trouble.

Well, not this forum specifically, but "Word of Mouth" is one of the best ways by which a good offering is promoted. (if not the best). Shutting that mechanism down is like a communication boycott.

But I'll assume it's the Irish Pub. :P

"Acculturate" normally means adjust to where you are. This seems difficult for so many who post here.

Otherwise, looking at what you have had to say, there is the traditional British love of "well-hung beef" to enjoy for roast dinner. This, by the way, has absolutely nothing to do with sexual gratification, so don't go there, please! Anyway, this is a hamburger thread which is close to UG's heart. Don't break his heart; just donate to his Statin pharma fund so his heart will keep pumping!

And we certainly don't need to fight the American Revolutionary War again here, do we ?! Please !!!

Just responding to your post. You cut me off not allowing me to bring up sexual gratification.clap2.gif

Well, not this forum specifically, but "Word of Mouth" is one of the best ways by which a good offering is promoted. (if not the best). Shutting that mechanism down is like a communication boycott.

But I'll assume it's the Irish Pub. tongue.png

Not even close.giggle.gif All though I have never tried there burger they do put on a food breakfast.wai.gif

Nothing better than an early Sunday morning ride, 200 or 300kms on the bike and the then a burger before going home...my ideal Sunday morning.

Loco Elvis can be hit or miss depending on time of day and if the Chef is new...they seem to always have new staff. Quality varies.

Dukes is always good. No complaints at all...and agree coleslaw is excellent.

New burger place opened a few weeks ago down Loi Kroh on the left hand side, maybe 150 meters down. Stool seating outside the burger bar and restaurant inside - serves more than burgers and have to say it was really good - good burger, well cooked and presented. Nice Thai Owner. Hope he makes it.

I agree Ulysses. I'm not in Chiang Mai now but up until about a year ago the Dukes by the river offered a 99 baht burger with fries. The best bargain in town in my opinion. I think the prices bumped up a little but it makes no difference. You get quality and value. The updated menu now has even more options. If someone can tell me where one can find better American food and a menu with more variety please post it. Prices are very fair and the Tuesday Mexican night is also good!

99 baht + VAT + Service Charge!

Is it that cheap? I'd expect it to be more.

I agree Ulysses. I'm not in Chiang Mai now but up until about a year ago the Dukes by the river offered a 99 baht burger with fries. The best bargain in town in my opinion. I think the prices bumped up a little but it makes no difference. You get quality and value. The updated menu now has even more options. If someone can tell me where one can find better American food and a menu with more variety please post it. Prices are very fair and the Tuesday Mexican night is also good!

99 baht + VAT + Service Charge!

Is it that cheap? I'd expect it to be more.

Most of the burgers on their menu are bigger and cost more, but they do have something on the menu called The 99 Baht Burger. Only Duke's could tell you how many of them they sell versus the more expensive ones but I suspect that few of Duke's customers restrict themselves to the cheapest things on the menu.

I do not think it is out of business....A while ago, dining at Miguel's (Mike's in Spanish), a well known Mexican Restaurant, the new owner told me that the original owner of his restaurant and of Mike's Hamburger is a Canadian guy named Mike who likes to creates successful business and resell it. May be true.

Almost correct. The original owner of Mike's and Miguel's is American. The present owner of Miguel's is Canadian.

Mike was in Florida the last that I heard. Every once in a while he sends me an e-mail threatening to come back to Chiang Mai and open a real New York Pizza place, but I will believe it when I see it.

Canadian???? No wonder its going down. Nothing in the world beat a good ole all american burger. Canadians make good maple syrup though.

The White Plate has been up for sale - BHT 1000000. And I understand has been sold very recently.

You just made that up.

I saw the adds for the business for sale - that is not made up.

http://www.propertysold.asia/view/the-white-plate-cafe-burger-bar-164163

Is it all a hoax then?

Considering i was there last night and i asked and they told me they haven't sold it. Yes....it is made up.