Canadians

canman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add me to the Canuck list. I grew up in the lotusland of the west coast. Tried living back east, but froze my butt off and returned to the west.

I'd agree that soccer is a girl's game, but ashamed to admit that curling is even more so. I never figured out the attraction to that.

Gotta admit, that things are so much different than anywhere else!

attachicon.gifcanada-1.jpg

attachicon.gifcanada-2.jpg

attachicon.gifcanada-3.jpg

attachicon.gifcanada-4.jpg

attachicon.gifcanada-5.jpg

attachicon.gifcanada-6.jpg

Proud to be Canadian!

attachicon.gifCDNBeaver.jpg

Curling a girls game?? I do enjoy womens curling. Lets face it; it's the only time you can applaud women sweeping with out getting a smack in the head. Also there is this:

carmen-schaefer-2009-3-21-6-31-2.jpg

And this

liudmila-privivkova-1.jpg

And this

linn-githmark-02.jpg

etc.

I hail from those parts and still don't understand the need for this topic...eh

The Winter Olympics are over. Move on.

If "need" was a prerequisite to posting on TV I think it would quickly become a very boring site.

If "need" was a prerequisite to posting on TV I think it would quickly become a very boring site.

You are opening a can of worms with this topic. Can you imagine adding specific topics for Ozzies and Brits? God help us ;)

• Like 1

What's left after the Olympics ? - we can discuss weather or is that a Tranna thing everyone I ever met from there the only topic they seem to enjoy.

Oh we forgot one sport lacrosse, must admit the guys who didn't make the hockey cut always seemed to end up playing lacrosse, as for curling easy there my Mum plays :)

If you've ever been to George Street in St. John's we'll tell you we don't have cod anymore - be prepared it's a very long story so we've adjusted and use lobster often, hell after a bottle of screech we may even make you kiss the back end of a dog.

Loved St George Street. Gotta admit though, liked Corner Brook even better. Beautiful city. The Holiday Inn there was like our salvation for a while. We went on a motorbike trip through the rock for a few weeks, started SW corner, went up to NW corner, then over to St. Johns. While going up and down the western shore, and realizing it's basically just one huge fishing village, Corner Brook became our salvation -- would stop in for a couple nights at a time.

Nicest B&B I've ever stayed at was in St. Johns though. Pulled in, tired, cold, wet, wearing these cheap dorky rain suits that got ripped to hell in the wind, and seen this small B&B that looked like a bit of a dump from the front. On the ocean though, and 5 min walk to St George Street. Lady tells us $99/night, and we kind of sigh at that, thinking it's just going to be crappy little cramped room, but we take it for a couple days.

She tells us to follow her around back with the bike, and shows us to the room. We find ourselves in this huge two storey place, with a separate bedroom, living room, kitchen, washer & dryer, balcony, the whole nine yards. It was gorgeous! Couple hours later we cancelled our ferry ticket, and stayed two weeks. The place was way too nice to only stay a couple days. smile.png

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 2

When I think of Canada it's the amazing (pop) cultural contribution it has made since the 60's; Neil Young, Arcade Fire, Metric, Godspeed You Black Emporer, Joni Mitchell etc.

Ok, I know you guys have also given us Celine and Michael Buble but we'll let you off for now.

When I think of Canada it's the amazing (pop) cultural contribution it has made since the 60's; Neil Young, Arcade Fire, Metric, Godspeed You Black Emporer, Joni Mitchell etc.

Ok, I know you guys have also given us Celine and Michael Buble but we'll let you off for now.

Gordon Lightfoot, KD Lang, Leonard Cohen, Shania Twain, Bare Naked Lady's, Rush, Anne Murray, Avril Lavigne.

Celine is banned from my house along with the Biebs.

Edited by ToddWeston

Having worked in Canada for 7 years, I have absolutely no idea why on earth a Canadian would choose to live in Thailand.

I can only speak for myself, but the only places worth living in Canada are way out of my price range. If I moved back, it would be Vancouver or Toronto, or somewhere like Canmore in the Rockies, maybe somewhere up by the Shushwap Lake, etc. However, I just don't have like $4 million to drop on getting myself a house and setup. For example:

TR4MxgH.png

Or just go through this site to see how absurd some of the prices are: http://thethirtiesgrind.com/category/are-you-fing-kidding-me/vancouver-real-estate-are-you-fing-kidding-me/

Sure, I could go buy a $250k 1bdrm condo in say Calgary or Edmonton, and go through 8 months a year of winter, and spend $5000/month for a mediocre life, but why would I do that? Here, I have gorgeous weather all year round, I feel far safer walking the streets than in Canada, the people are more friendly (on the outside), I'm not surrounded by a bunch of people stuck in the rat race and stressed out / worried because they overstretched their budget, plus for like $1500/month I can have a huge 4 bdrm house with a large yard and my own swimming pool. In Vancouver, $1500/month will get me a tiny studio apartment.

It just doesn't make sense to move back to Canada until if / when I'm a millionaire. Why pay three times as much for a quarter of the standard of living? Plus have to endure the winters, etc.

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 1

Love Canadians.

I wonder what the road kill in Thailand would look like?

Have only really seen dogs as roadkill here,unlike Australia which had a lot more variety,roos,foxes,rabbits,goats,sheep,cats[feral],possums,birds, cows snakes,lizards, even a young camel ect,oh i have seen a few snakes dead here too,i suppose you could add people due to the terrible driving.

Aww yea me to! Vancouver Island boy here. Did my 10 years in Frozen Alberta to get enough experience to work overseas. Left Canada to stop paying the huge tax I get there. + I am done with winter and cold weather. Thailand is the place to be!

get over yourself ...do better with the ladies how would you know you are asking on this forum for others from your own country to chat with you...SO how do you figure you do bettee with the ladies !!!

get over yourself ...do better with the ladies how would you know you are asking on this forum for others from your own country to chat with you...SO how do you figure you do bettee with the ladies !!!

I know the question was loaded. My intention was to ask if Canadians had better results than others in their relationships with Thai women. My own experience in Thailand was that the Canadian lads I knew seemed to be in happy mutually loving relationships.

was completely uninterested until you said clamato.

really? can you get it shipped here? where do i pay?

I can get it here in Singapore but could never find it in Thailand. Always used to stock up each time I went to Singapore.

My own experience in Thailand was that the Canadian lads I knew seemed to be in happy mutually loving relationships.

My experience mirrors yours. And before I met my current lady I - shall we say - dabbled.

Asked many girls if they had a favorite nationality, and most did not know mine. Canada scored right up there.

People can judge other people quite well, and I must say that some nationalities come across as inherently arrogant, self-centered, prejudiced and just plain nasty to people from other countries. As well as to people from their own country.

Maybe being an a**hole is taught in the schools where they come from.

Canadians like cheap sex and accommodation the same as all nationalities, but to give up living in the best country in the world for it, is mind boggling.

I don't buy the BS climate thing, Canadians thrive on the cold, they deal with it from a young age. Heck they are ice skating as soon as they can stand.

No-one move here because of politics.

If you do not feel like schlepping to Singapore, or shipping liquid from there to here, try the powdered 'Caesar Pleaser' pouches from www.canadianfavourites.com. Mix with Malee tomato juice rather than the recommended water, add worstershire, tobasco, horseradish and celery and you have a rockin' Caesar in Thailand!

Sent from my ME172V using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OMG, I never knew about that website before. Thank you! That's definitely going to come in handy.

Look at all those goodies I completely forgot about. Can get me some Caesar Pleasers, Hawkins Cheesies, Canadian Salmon, and more. :)

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 1

I don't buy the BS climate thing, Canadians thrive on the cold, they deal with it from a young age. Heck they are ice skating as soon as they can stand.

Dealing with it ain't the same as thriving on it! Into your forties the winter climate thang looses its appeal big-time... I now happily sacrifice hockey, ice fishing, snowmobiling and snowboarding for beaches, diving, sailing and rugby!

Go poll a bunch of Canadians on Facebook or somewhere. Ask them, "If you could be relocated to Thailand, and still earn the same monthly wage you do now, would you go?". I bet at least 60%+ would ask you when does their flight leave.

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 1

Go poll a bunch of Canadians on Facebook or somewhere. Ask them, "If you could be relocated to Thailand, and still earn the same monthly wage you do now, would you go?". I bet at least 60%+ would ask you when does their flight leave.

i've been here so long I think Melbourne is cold in the winter.

My Uncle and Great Uncle. Born on Scotland and as Canadian as the Maple Leaf.

I always reminded them they were Scots but they wouldnt beleive me.

Two weeks back in Scotland and their accent would come back.

Came to play golf every year.

Great Uncle Richard was a great character.

The only problem wad when he said he wanted to sit on his fanny.

A very different word in Scotland.

RIP Uncle Richard.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Canadians thrive on the cold,
You do not thrive on minus 57C - you endure.

Indeed. A story from this winter:

Winnipeg deep freeze as cold as uninhabited planet Manitoba Museum reports Winnipeg's temperature as cold as surface of Mars

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/winnipeg-deep-freeze-as-cold-as-uninhabited-planet-1.2479967