Mother In-law Gift Ideas

listenup

Hi all,

Visiting my GF mother who lives near Undon Thani at the weekend. I would like to get her a gift, but am unsure what to get her… any ideas?

Should I buy stuff for her home or for her, or both?

My budget is around 3k to 4k baht.

Thanks!

how old is she?

-cloths

-perfume

-cosmetic stuff

well i have no idea.. but my mom like chocolate ,perfume and cosmetic stuff (she is 56 yo)

it depend on your in law's life style ..maybe ask your GF .. you will get the right answer.

I got a tub of good quality powder, scented soaps, good quality flip flops, and put 2500 baht in an envelope. Remember your gift is a reflection of your position. You give the best you can.

As someone said earlier dont expect effusive thanks but that is their way. They do not give effusive thanks to each other either. Younger people will show more thanks than elder people but that is because you are expected to look after your elders. Seems reasonable. She did tell my long tern GF that she was impressed by the powder :o She whacks it on by the bucket load every night.

According to my married thai friends

I will put them in ranking

1- Token cash (small amout <5000 bths)

2- Small piece of jewelry – bracelet or earrings

3- Perfume

4- Expensive/hard to find fruits in the local area (I know one guy had to carry a duffle bag full of special kind of cherries on the airplane from the US for his in-laws in Roi-et)

5- 2-3 pieces of fabrics (lace type preferable) for making blouses

6- Half dozen of new silk sarong

7- Big sack of rice

8- Fresh or dried seafoods

9- Varieties of desserts (thai and western)

10- Rice cooker or electric wok

11- Plants (chilli, lemon, lime, mango tree, quava tree are quite popular)

12- Believe it or not.....a good knives set!

Edited by BKK90210

10- Rice cooker or electric wok

11- Plants (chilli, lemon, lime, mango tree, quava tree are quite popular)

12- Believe it or not.....a good knives set!

The electric rice cooker seems a great idea. The knife set :o Oh my buddha.....get that only if you are leaving the same day :D

Electrical aplliances in general seem to go down well. When we moved back to the U.K i gave the inlaws my 28 inch tv an vcd player along with my playstation which they love and cherish like a child :D

We also bought the mil a top loader twin tub washing machine, now that has just packed up after 4 years so we will buy them a new one this year when we go over. The mil charges per load for the use of the machine

A phone line was another welcome addition and a source of income for them. I paid for the phone line when we moved back to the uk so the wife could keep in touch and vice versa, because the only other phone was a mobile with a huge aerial in the local shop, now it takes ages to get throug because everyone rings the landline in the house and the family charge by the minute for incoming and out going calls for all the villigaers, i like their thinking :D

I also gave my hair clippers to the fil when we left, they were an expensive set of pro hair clippers, which i used to shave my head, now the fil charges 20 baht a hair cut for all the local lads who want crew cuts, again great bit of business sense :o

I guess what i am saying is, you could always buy them someting that can earn them money as well as being useful for themselves :D

I just went to Big C and got a knife set, saucepans, grill and some T-Shirts. Come back and the missus started pissing her self laughing... thanks Darling!

She says I could of got this stuff in her Home - Didn't know whether to think she is right or she is ######in ungreatfull. :o

I like the idea of getting her something she can make money from, although a washing machine is out of my budget and I'm not sure if anyone would trust her to cut there hair... A little crazy! Any other ideas on something I can get her that will make her some money?

Also, talking of milking... The family has already asked me if I could lend them a big sum of money, which I said no to. Is this normal then? I'm trying to keep my head level but at the same time want to show them respect and understand they have &lt;deleted&gt; all, where as I have a full time job paying a resonable salery. It's a thin line, I hate saying no but did it just so it wouldn't keep happening.

Thanks!

Can speak only of my experience. Buy one shatter- and weatherproof brand watch. Very good would be when it's original swiss made.

Till now very happy!!!

Are the Thais not also of the belief that giving a timepiece (watch, clock etc . . ) invites death? Hmm could be only the Japanese and/or Chinese

Just give her respect and a smile and nothing else otherwise you will start to get milked like dalyboy.

Its got nothing to do with being milked English poodle and if you are going to have a little snipe please spell my name right :o .

Believe me you are seen as a tight ass in Thailand if you give nothing. Added to the fact the inlaws take care of my step daughter so i am more than happy to help them improve their lives, and if you notice it isnt money i give them, it is electrical items which they use to make their own money.

I dont give them money for themselves, have never given a sinsot and they know our financial situation so never ask for cash. We give them money to put my step daughter through school and to pay for her upkeep, but they certainly dont get thousands off us because we dont have it to give.

As for washing machines, they certainly arent the expensive ones you buy in the uk, i think the one we bought cost about 3000 baht, its a bright blue toploader that you will be able to buy in the local electrical store. :D

Dont listen to Poodle, he obviously doesnt understand the meaning of family in Thailand, they are brought up to support each other be it cash wise or working in the fields. It isnt a question of being milked, it is a question of you marry her you marry the family and everything that goes with it, if you cant accept that then stay away from Thai women. Family rates no1 in a Thai persons life. They have no pension system so rely on their siblings for support in later life.

Edited by daleyboy

Family rates no1 in a Thai persons life.

Sure thats why your wife has left her daughter in Thailand to set up shop half way around the world. :o

Yeah so she can earn better money, to be able to put her daughter into a better school, and then bring her to the U.K to goto uni, something we wouldnt be able to do if we stayed in Thailand, come on now poodle get your facts right.

Trained Chef in Thailand= 30k baht a month

Trained Chef in the U.K= 100k+ baht a month

Now where would you work?

Cost of living in Thailand=10k baht a month

Cost of living in U.K=100k+ baht a month

:o

Ahhh but our costs arent 100k+ as we rent my mothers house off her, so all we pay is the mortgage payments which are hardly anything and obviously the utilities, so living in the U.K is pretty cheap for us :D

Also, talking of milking... The family has already asked me if I could lend them a big sum of money, which I said no to. Is this normal then? I'm trying to keep my head level but at the same time want to show them respect and understand they have &lt;deleted&gt; all, where as I have a full time job paying a resonable salery. It's a thin line, I hate saying no but did it just so it wouldn't keep happening.

Thanks!

Your in-laws will certainly be feeling you out for your boundaries. How much is the new farang willing to give? And when?

If your in-laws are fairly poor then there is a good chance they have a bit of a disconnect in regard to what rich really means. You are probably not rich by your standards and have things like taxes, health care, children’s college education, and your own retirement to save for. Most poor people (Thai or not) have enough trouble meeting their own day-to-day needs let alone making any concessions for saving for a rainy day. But your income does make you rich in their eyes - the problem being that you are not Bill Gates rich.

Another issues is priorities. If/when you contribute to family needs by giving cash, you either have to be clear about what the money is to be used for or accept that once you give them the funds it becomes their money to spend (blow) as they see fit. Their priorities may not be the same as yours, and if you let how they spend the money worry you, then you are probably better off not giving them any money in the first place.

I spend money on my family in the west (birthdays, mothers day, Christmas, etc.), I take an equal amount of money and give it to my wife. She is then responsible for how that money is distributed to the Thai part of our family. The only exception to this is that I pay for my sister-in-law to attend University separate from the other funds.

Good luck