Is this some kind of scam?

DeanWeen

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first guy was hoping to get invited back to your friends apt (for a bit of fun). Her friend showing up scuppered his plans

The girl was on her own and scared to travel alone into BKK, she saw another Western female alone and decided to chance her luck and make a temporary friend for mutual benefit.

• Like 2

“which seemed weird because she didn't look like the kind of person to need a black corporate case.”

How do you know if you were not there, unless your alleged friend went into every minute detail?

As I mentioned in the OP, my friend said the girl was a bit of a hippie. She said she didn't seem the type to need or want corporate accessories.

I guess two other things I'm wondering are:

• If these are scam attempts, what kind of scam?
  • Has anyone else experienced situations like these? Especially by Westerners? Recruiting Westerners to approach other Westerners seems like a smart idea.

Scammers need time to engage with an innocent person. This to built trust and sense if the 1 they approach is gullible. Your female friend apparantly is not. Good for her.

Thanks to the OP for his report.

Indeed the scammer needs to build a 'friendly' contact with his intended victim before he strikes.

We'll never know what the scam might have been in this case but I'm sure there was going to be one.

• Like 2

Scammers need time to engage with an innocent person. This to built trust and sense if the 1 they approach is gullible. Your female friend apparantly is not. Good for her.

Thanks to the OP for his report.

Indeed the scammer needs to build a 'friendly' contact with his intended victim before he strikes.

We'll never know what the scam might have been in this case but I'm sure there was going to be one.

On tv here there is a program weekly about scamming tourists in various touristdestions worldwide. There was one about thailand as well. This was about tuk tuk driving tourists to a jewelry factory. The guy who does the program bought something for a value of around 30k and salesperson said it would be a way higher resalevalue in europe. He had it sent back to here for valuation at a diamondauctioneer and it turned out to be only around 10k of value. He went to touristpolice in bkk.....well u can guess, sadly to say, they are into it as well. He went later to the factory with all his proof and.....smiles smiles and admittance of the fraud. Funny enough there was a sign at the entrance of the factory that they warned tourists about tuk tuk drivers and no commission would be paid to them. Guess what....after the initial sale it was filmed secretly that an employee of the said factory paid commission to the tuk tuk driver ???? Was quite an interesting program.....although nothing really shocking for me, just a confirmation of what i knew already. Edited by benalibina

Only times I have been conned in Thailand, has been by foreigners.

Same with me but I don't discount the ability for Thais to scam as well.. it doesn't matter WHO you are or WHERE you are from, every human being has the potential to be a scam artist

The lady in 7/11 ask me for 20 Baht for a large Pepsi...spooky huh, do you think I should be worried..the next day she did it again when I got a pepsi....aarrrrhhhh...man are we being invaded

Edited by PattayaPhom
  • Like 2

Many scammers have electron scaners to copy your credit card # without even

taking them out of your wallet, however they must be in very close proximity

to you for a few minutes....could be one of these scame

even if its in your pocket ? im interested in this if it is actually going on lol

sounds pretty hi tech but if there was such technology wouldnt everyone

be a victim ?

sit in any crowded public place you could scam everyones card if this were possible ??

Many scammers have electron scaners to copy your credit card # without even

taking them out of your wallet, however they must be in very close proximity

to you for a few minutes....could be one of these scame

even if its in your pocket ? im interested in this if it is actually going on lol

sounds pretty hi tech but if there was such technology wouldnt everyone

be a victim ?

sit in any crowded public place you could scam everyones card if this were possible ??sm Yes

Yes this happens to hundreds of people each day. Keep your credit cards in a

plastic holder wrapped in aluminum foil, or buy small metal credit card holders

designed for this purpose.

Of course it is a scam.

My favorite is the guy/s working Grand Central Station in NYC. He/she is well dressed and looks business like (complete with briefcase) and says that he/she was held up earlier in the day and lost their wallet and the cash that was inside and is $20 short for his train ticket home and anything you can do would be great. Even offers up their business card saying that they will send the money to you as soon as he/she gets home. All seems real. He/she is very nice and polite and seems genuine. So you help him/her out. Then you walk away feeling a bit better about yourself and only later do you start to think that you were just 'taken'.

Then there is the guy at the Wall Street subway station that says that he is not from this planet and needs what is called money... It is an original storyline and he always manages to get a couple of Bucks from me for sheer originality.

So beware.... there are folks out there who want what you have. Be careful! The hairs of the back of your neck are far better at spotting trouble than your brain seems to be able to do. 'Listen' to those hairs!

Have to think about an incident which happened a long time ago. At Hualamphong, I purchased a train ticket to Don Meuang, which in those days still was the international airport. Walking away from the counter, I discovered there had been some kind of a misunderstanding, I had two tickets to the airport in my hand. Didn't want to and had no time to stand in line again for a refund, but don't like throwing something away which can be used. So I asked a backpack carrying solo Farang: "Are you going to the airport?" He replied:"Yes". Me again: (extending my hand with the surplus ticket in it) "Do you want a free ticket to the airport? The train is leaving at 16.15 from platform 9" . In his turn, he blurted out (raising his voice) "This is not right". So I shrugged my shoulders, turned around and walked off towards platform 9, feeling his eyes pricking into my back.

Geez, he might have thought that accepting my free offer would have led to him serving a lengthy term in a Thai prison.

Just an anecdote. The girl the OP is writing about, was probably right to cut off contact with those people. You just never know.

• Like 2