30 years on, KFC Thailand going strong

webfact

I bet not many people don't know that in America KFC is no longer even the biggest chicken fast food restaurant like it used to be.

If you ever want a good laugh, order a "bucket" of chicken at KFC.There is barely enough chicken to cover the bottom and it looks pretty empty. They make the buckets many times bigger than they need to be and have the audacity to back it up with pictures showing chicken brimming over the top. I would love to see them demonstrate that feat in real life. Really false advertising and surprised no one has taken them to task over it.

You're so correct. My 6 year old niece was up from Sydney over new year and her mother brought her to KFC for a quick snack while waiting in town one afternoon. There was a poster in the place indicating 'fresh tasty chicken' being served. As my niece wiped the grease from her chin after her first and last bite she piped up to Mom that she thought they were telling fibs.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a recent survey in Thailand the public were given four different fried dishes and were asked which tasted most like chicken. here are the results....

Fried Snake......56%

Fried Rat...........22%

Fried Iguana .....20%

K.F.C. ...............2%

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Sorry I will leave now....

I'd be happy if they would start putting all 11 of the secret herbs and spices back here in TL whistling.gif

The stuff in TL tastes different from what I ate in the US.

It still tastes good mind you. Just not as good as it is back in the US.

I agree. The KFC in the USA tasted better and had bigger pieces of chicken.

I liked the biscuits which they don't have in thailand.

The KFC in the USA also had an all you can eat buffet which thailand does not have.

American chicks have bigger whiter breast than Thais.

But I prefer fatty thighs.

Edited by chotthee

Actually it's 44 years since KFC first opened in Thailand. The first one opened in Bangkok in 1970. It closed down at the end of the Vietnam war in 1975 (no more GIs on R&R). The chain reopened in Thailand in 1984.

Just shows you what a bit of aircon and bright lights plus the advertising can do for your business. Is there a more sorry sight than KFC chicken and some french fries presented on a plate? I thought it was a joke when I first saw it! Within a few hundred metres of the store there will be a local selling fresh chicken , freshly fried , much tastier and about 25% of the KFC price.

I would love to see KFC get into the burger business. McDonald's offers chicken, why doesn't KFC offer burgers?

They do.

No, they don't. At least not any of the half-dozen I've been to.

[edit]

Okay I've just looked at their online menu and I see that they are calling a chicken sandwich a "burger". What most Americans mean when they say burger (and what I was referring to in my post) is a hamburger made from beef, not a chicken sandwich. That's why I drew the comparison to McDonald's.

I suppose I'll need to be more careful in the future when talking about burgers, in the same way that a shake isn't really a shake here - it's a fruit smoothie.

[one more edit] I see they're calling a burrito a burger too... I give up. Tinglish!

hamburger ?? ham is pork is it not i never understood that..kfc is <deleted> food in phibun in ubon they put the chicken out 1 hour before it opens ..fresh as fresh can be..glad im a veggie..

Hardly surprising KFC is popular in Thailand, fried rat is an essan favorite.

rat is way too expensive to make a burger of.

KFC is not even real chicken, it's a mash of several ingredients including chicken.

Enjoy your lunch there, add a lot of mayo or ketchup,

KFC in Thailand is by far the worst I have had anywhere. Just rubbish, barely fit to be consumed. It's better to spend a little extra and go somewhere like Santa Fe etc...

Excuse me? Santa Fe's chicken would appear to be pre-digested, as in not an actual breast as described. By pre-digested, I mean it was soaked in enzymes intended to break down the tendons and non muscle components. Food processors, call it a marinade. However those of us who can read chemical formulas would say otherwise. When did breasts come as squares of soft darkish substance? The "meat" appears to have been formed from all sorts of components including parts one would not normally serve. Have a close look at that "chicken" you are eating at Sante Fe and even Sizzler next time you are there. At least KFC does serve actual chicken in its battered versions. The popcorn stuff is the garbage components, while the chicken strips and filets really are taken from breast meat. I keep saying I won't go back to Sizzler, but I give in every 6 months or so. I like the salad bar. The "meat" is low quality. If KFC had a salad bar, I could justify going there. smile.png

Agreed, but you forgot one ubiquitous fat food joint: Chester's. Dreadful soft rubbery chicken that tasted like their hot dogs. Tried once - never again.

BTW are corporate advertorials a daily feature of the Nation as their journalists have nothing interesting to say?

The KFC chicken in a bucket deal is an age old scam. False or misleading advertising .

Why buy KFC anyway? Plenty of Thais on the soi's sell fried chicken that tastes similar.

That tastes similar? Better I think! (from the Soi that is)

My Mrs did not know that KFC stood for Kentucky Fried Children.

hamburger ?? ham is pork is it not i never understood that.

Get ready to have your mind blown: there is absolutely no egg in an eggplant, and Mars bars are made right here on Earth.

Hamburger comes from the town of Hamburg, Germany.

You wanna guess where frankfurter (regional variant of hotdog) comes from?

Edited by attrayant
  • Like 2

KFC wallets getting fat and the name coined in OZ is: Kids Fattening Centre

And you can see the results in Thailand and China.

Why one would eat that sh%t in Thailand, the land of ubiquitous fast food that tastes really great beats me.

I was taken there by the family to buy all of us a meal, I stated that I would eat whatever they wanted but would not pay for this rubbish.

We promptly relocated to a good Thai restaurant.biggrin.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I took my wife to a KFC on our first date and she was delighted. Now she is too hi-so to be caught dead in a KFC. I still have it a couple times a year; prefer Thai food. Do Brits and Aussies have chains similar to what they have in the US? If so, which are represented in the Kingdom? I really don't want to look at American chain stores in Thailand but would be interested in some British or Australian food.

We've got all the U.S ones in Oz sorry, plus a couple of copies like Chicken Treat, just another take away. no kangaroo steaks ,lizard OZ or Kola Bear soup, chains.

Butt we (Antipodeans) have PIES! Some very very good ones too.

If you're talking meat pies, I'm there. Know any place in BKK where I can get a decent Australian style meat pie?

Yes, found a roadside stop about one third of the way from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai good pies and baked goods. The coffee like coffee everywhere in Thailand was lukewarm but tasty

Dreadful junk food using chickens kept in barbaric conditions. Anyone working for such a cruel company deserves to be reborn as a factory farmed chicken.

Their life will be short, uncomfortable and probably painful.

Yeah!

kfc-chickens.jpg

Perhaps Yum, and KFC will consider putting actual food in their bags and boxes, rather than dough and fried oil?

Seriously, anyone who thinks they are eating real food and gaining any nutrition, and not being poisoned at KFC, is dying and doesnt know it.

Feeding it to children is child abuse and wreckless endangerment

Edited by Scarpolo

Thirty years plying their cholesterol laden fried chicken and french fries...... two of the most unhealthy things you can eat.... to the unsuspecting Thai masses.

Well done.

Bit like all the farang who who come here have been happily unsuspectingly ingesting all the other toxic crap used in food and drink, from pesticides and poison chemicals on the farm to MSG or week old oil on the street.

A lot of Thai fast food is incredibly unhealthy too wink.png

and they want to know where the cellulite comes from

KFC is not real food.

Neither is McDonalds

a quick check of a dog food ingredients on actual dog food bags, will reveal the contents of Mcd hamburgers

really, there is more information on a dog food bag, than there is in fast food.

Re" toxic chemicals

I solely shopped organic in Thailand, and paid nearly the same for produce, but more for NY meats.

it was money well spent

Perhaps Yum, and KFC will consider putting actual food in their bags and boxes, rather than dough and fried oil?

Chicken, dough and fried oil is KFC's business model. It wouldn't be KFC with a stick of celery and a carrot in a box.

Seriously, anyone who thinks they are eating real food and gaining any nutrition, and not being poisoned at KFC, is dying and doesnt know it.

We're all dying.

Your statement insinuates that anyone that's ever had the audacity to eat a KFC is borderline brain dead.

Again, slightly overboard. Taking a child for the occasional KFC hardly constitutes reckless abandon.

Edited by wooloomooloo
  • Like 1

Have never eaten KFC in my entire life.

Who the heck would put that junk in their body bah.gif

Even drunk, people should have more sense,

there is never an excuse to consume whatever that is

If drunk, may as well chew on your own shoe.

Probably has more protein content.

Chicken, dough and fried oil is KFC's business model. It wouldn't be KFC with a stick of celery and a carrot in a box.

We're all dying.

Your statement insinuates that anyone that's ever had the audacity to eat a KFC is borderline brain dead.

Again, slightly overboard. Taking a child for the occasional KFC hardly constitutes reckless abandon.

Feeding kids dough in fried oil with zero cleanliness in the kitchen, and calling it food, when it isnt, is wreckless parenting

KFC is not food.

The body requires energy to expel it,

It creates obesity and bad arteries at an early age

what wud you call it, if not dough mixed with industrial waste?