Thai Language Textbook For Foreigner

BambinA

http://www.inter.mua.go.th/Publication/Tha...nguage/Info.htm

Commission on Higher Education (CHE) has operated Thai Studies Project since 2001. CHE in coporated with Chiang Mai University had developed Thai Language Textbook for Foreigner© which consist of 2 parts. The first part is Listening and Speaking lesson and the second part is Reading and Writting lesson.

Commission on Higher Education published the textbook and provide it to every university. However, students can download it in this page

What you're noticing is something you would be much better off to learn. It's based on the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), and uses a 1-to-1 correspondence between sounds and symbols.

I believe that transliteration systems which try to represent Thai vowels and diphthongs using multiple English letters, claiming to be useful because no prior instruction is necessary are a hindrance to correct pronunciation.

It's simple: Two vowels in a row equals long vowel. The symbol which resembles a question mark (except for the line at the base, no dot) represents a glottal stop.

Just pay attention to the Thai and learn the correspondence between the right symbols and sounds. This is how linguists transcribe any language in earth in relatively consistent way. If transliteration is necessary for you, I highly recommend learning a system like this one, or the Mary Haas system. Anything less accurate is like giving a child candy when they should be eating their vegetables. The veggies are better for you in the long run! (And you'll come to like them if you give them a chance.) :o

• 2 weeks later...

When this thread started I had a look at the site and saw a use for it myself, but did not print it immediately because I was short of paper. Recently I have several times gone back to it, but clicking the URL always gets me 'This page cannot be displayed'.

Anybody got any ideas why? Thank you.

Hmm.. it seems to have disapeared... :D

I have zipped the course into 5 files and attached them to the thread. For everybody to download.

Ben

Thanks Bambi for the original link :D and to Ben for capturing and sharing the files. :o

Ben, thank you for your very generous-spirited public service. I've got it in the can now, and it looks as if a number of others have as well! Much appreciated.

You are welcome guys/girls.

This is what a forum is all about, helping each other. :o

Ben

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That doesn't quite make sense as it stands unless it is ad-speak... is there more writing around it by any chance?

The first word 'leuk' means "deep" and the second 'bpratheed india' just means "India".

So if it is an ad or a headline, it probably can be translated as "India in-depth", 'To the core of India' or something along those lines.