Married to a Thai, does one's passport get stamped every 90 days?

The subject more or less says what I want to know really. If one is married to a Thai national and remains in Thailand permanently by virtue of that, I understand that a 90-day report is required. As part of that report, is the passport stamped?

If so, is there any way of avoid such stamps every ninety days? Thanks.

You only do 90 day reports if you have an extension of stay from immigration and there are no stamps done.

A multiple entry visa requires you to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry and of course there are stamps needed.

rolleyes.gif No.

If you are married to a Thai you can get what is often called a marriage visa ..... but is really an extension of your visa by reason of marriage.

There are some financial requirements too, you can find that out from the "visa" experts on the immigration forum topic.

Once you have your marriage extension/visa you need to do 90 day reporting at your local immigration office.

But they usually don't stamp anything in your passport, they attach a letter (stapled into your passport) which has the date you need to report for the next 90 day reporting date.

Every time you do a 90 day report the old letter is removed and a new one is put in it's place .... so normally you only have one letter in your passport at a time.

You will need to renew your marriage extension/visa once a year .... and they may put a stamp in your passport for that to show that extension every year.

rolleyes.gif No.

If you are married to a Thai you can get what is often called a marriage visa ..... but is really an extension of your visa by reason of marriage.

There are some financial requirements too, you can find that out from the "visa" experts on the immigration forum topic.

Once you have your marriage extension/visa you need to do 90 day reporting at your local immigration office.

But they usually don't stamp anything in your passport, they attach a letter (stapled into your passport) which has the date you need to report for the next 90 day reporting date.

Every time you do a 90 day report the old letter is removed and a new one is put in it's place .... so normally you only have one letter in your passport at a time.

You will need to renew your marriage extension/visa once a year .... and they may put a stamp in your passport for that to show that extension every year.

Visas are not extended. Only a permit to stay can be extended.

Extensions of stay are not visas. A visa only allows you to enter the country and get a permit to stay.

Thanks both of you, for that information. I understand the financial requirements and the fact that it is merely extension of stay, when married.

What if the foreigner already has a five-year non-immigrant visa, which normally requires a passport stamp or exit/re-entry to Thailand every 90-days? Can that visa still be accepted for the purposes of remaining in Thailand with a Thai wife?

Thanks both of you, for that information. I understand the financial requirements and the fact that it is merely extension of stay, when married.

What if the foreigner already has a five-year non-immigrant visa, which normally requires a passport stamp or exit/re-entry to Thailand every 90-days? Can that visa still be accepted for the purposes of remaining in Thailand with a Thai wife?

There is no 5 year non immigrant visa. If you are writing about a APEC travel card an entry from it cannot be extended.

There is no 5 year non immigrant visa. If you are writing about a APEC travel card an entry from it cannot be extended.

My visa expires in mid 2018. From what I understand, to use an example of the simplest scenario, a foreigner could conceivably arrive with a 30-day passport stamp, get married and remain here by requesting extension of stays indefinitely.

However, I already have my non-immigrant visa which is valid until 2018. I hope that doesn't complicate the normal process of being granted extension of stay for a year and compromise the right to be able to report every 90-days without the passport being stamped. Sorry my case is a bit complicated.

rolleyes.gif No.

Extensions of stay are not visas. A visa only allows you to enter the country and get a permit to stay.

What is a Non-O if not a visa? Is that not what they are extending? I under stand IMA's mistake but ..........................

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

My visa expires in mid 2018. From what I understand, to use an example of the simplest scenario, a foreigner could conceivably arrive with a 30-day passport stamp, get married and remain here by requesting extension of stays indefinitely.

However, I already have my non-immigrant visa which is valid until 2018. I hope that doesn't complicate the normal process of being granted extension of stay for a year and compromise the right to be able to report every 90-days without the passport being stamped. Sorry my case is a bit complicated.

Can you scan and post this non immigrant "VISA" which expires in mid 2018 ?

If you do indeed possess this unique "visa" then just carry on with the 90 day reporting , why would a problem be envisaged?

Can you scan and post this non immigrant "VISA" which expires in mid 2018 ?

If you do indeed possess this unique "visa" then just carry on with the 90 day reporting , why would a problem be envisaged?

In the past have been making frequent trips out of Thailand, so I have always kept within the 90-day limit. However, I'm soon to be stopping that and we plan to marry. However, I would prefer to avoid getting these stamps in my passport and I don't want to do visa runs. What really appeals to me (if I can indeed do this), is to report by post. That would be the ideal answer.

I'll have a think about putting my visa up on this board, but not very keen to do it frankly. Is the date information sufficient for you, without showing my reference number etc?

Many would be interested to see and learn about this special visa.

Please feel free to (in fact you must ) obliterate any personal detail before posting the image of the visa .

NB

90 day reporting does not involve any stamps being placed in a passport.

Edited by thepool

Do you hold a Thailand Elite Card? That does, or at least used to entitle the holder to a 5 year multiple entry visa.

rolleyes.gif No.

What is a Non-O if not a visa? Is that not what they are extending? I under stand IMA's mistake but ..........................

You do cannot extend a visa of any kind. Once you enter the country your visa means nothing other than class of visa that you used for entry. When you enter the country the immigration officer stamps the entry date and permitted to stay date. That permit to stay date is what is extended.

If have have an extension of stay look at the stamp it does not mention a visa of any kind.

You only do 90 day reports if you have an extension of stay from immigration and there are no stamps done.

A multiple entry visa requires you to leave the country every 90 days for a new entry and of course there are stamps needed.

As I am fully aware of the wealth of knowledge that you possess on the subject of passports and visas, I presume that you are replying only to the specifics of this poster.

However, it might be opportune to remind readers that a 'Non-immigrant O-A multiple entry visa' does not require the holder to leave the country every 90 days. Only reporting every 90 days is required.

As I am fully aware of the wealth of knowledge that you possess on the subject of passports and visas, I presume that you are replying only to the specifics of this poster.

However, it might be opportune to remind readers that a 'Non-immigrant O-A multiple entry visa' does not require the holder to leave the country every 90 days. Only reporting every 90 days is required.

There was no mention of the OP being 50 or over only marriage to a Thai. So why go into a discussion of a OA visa.

There was no mention of the OP being 50 or over only marriage to a Thai. So why go into a discussion of a OA visa.

''What if the foreigner already has a five-year non-immigrant visa,''

A 'what if' condition was already raised by the OP. His post no 5.

But if some years ago, I would have read your post, and knowing very little about passports and visas,

I would have thought that my Non-immigrant O-A visa required me to leave the country every 90 days

Even the Embassy back home could not provide good advice on this.

And back then, I did not know about the possibility of searching on this site.

Over and out...

Speculation until we see a scan, but I suspect our OP has a 5 year Business Visa, as far as I know these allow a 90 day stay after which a border run will net another 90 days.

Just a reminder that reporting every 90 days can be carried out by post. Just print out the form from the Thai Immigration Web Site and send it together with the required copies of your passport and the previous 90 day form (if any) together with a B10 stamped addressed envelope to yourself 15days prior to the 90 day deadline.

Speculation until we see a scan, but I suspect our OP has a 5 year Business Visa, as far as I know these allow a 90 day stay after which a border run will net another 90 days.

As far as I know there is only a special 3 year non-b for business purposes. There is certainly no mention of one on the MFA website only the 3 year.

See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123

Just a reminder that reporting every 90 days can be carried out by post. Just print out the form from the Thai Immigration Web Site and send it together with the required copies of your passport and the previous 90 day form (if any) together with a B10 stamped addressed envelope to yourself 15days prior to the 90 day deadline.

Not all immigration offices accept 90 day reports by post. The 2 offices nearest to me do not....

Totally and completely incorrect information. There are different kinds of multiple entry visas. A multiple entry retirement visa does not require you leaving the country every 90 days, but rather checking in with immigration every 90 days.

Totally and completely incorrect information. There are different kinds of multiple entry visas. A multiple entry retirement visa does not require you leaving the country every 90 days, but rather checking in with immigration every 90 days.

It is correct for the topic being discussed.

There is no such thing as retirement visa. What you called a retirement visa could be a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over that gives 90 day entries or possibly a non-oa visa issued for the same reason that gives a one year entry.

As far as I know there is only a special 3 year non-b for business purposes. There is certainly no mention of one on the MFA website only the 3 year.

See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123

Thanks Joe, that's the one I'm thinking of, soooo we still await the scan of the 5 year visa.

I like the freedom aspects of my 1 Year Non Immigrant Cat "O" Visa which even now at 125 Quid a

pop suits me otherwise quite honestly I would feel so...so... restricted.

Also no financial commitment...more dosh to invest....

Home run to the 'smoke" every 6 months with 90 day jolis to Mae-Sai,KL,Hong Kong....or wherever is the bees knees....however would like to see this 5 Year Scan.....if...

I like the freedom aspects of my 1 Year Non Immigrant Cat "O" Visa which even now at 125 Quid a

pop suits me otherwise quite honestly I would feel so...so... restricted.

Also no financial commitment...more dosh to invest....

Home run to the 'smoke" every 6 months with 90 day jolis to Mae-Sai,KL,Hong Kong....or wherever is the bees knees....however would like to see this 5 Year Scan.....if...

I can't see how getting an extension would restrict you. You can get a multiple re-entry permit that would allow you to travel as much as you want. Plus you would not have to make a trip out after 90 days if you really didn't want to do it at the time. You would just have to be here to do the annual extension.

Dependent upon what basis you are getting the non-o for and where you apply you may find it harder to get one than before. If for retirement there are many places now wanting the same financial proof as extensions to get them.

You have the choice of leaving every 90 days and returning for new 90 day stays during the validity of your visa or obtaining a one year extension of stay on basis of married during the last month or so of any 90 day stay and you can then continue to do that yearly.

90 day address reporting has nothing to do with visas - so if you stay longer than 90 days without leaving, as on above extension, they will be required.

Also to keep the one year extensions alive re-entry permits would be required for any travel/return. They might want to cancel your visa at that time as you are not using it.

For the statement you can extend a 30 day visa exempt entry for marriage - you would first have to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa entry stamp before making normal one year extensions.

It is correct for the topic being discussed.

There is no such thing as retirement visa. What you called a retirement visa could be a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being 50 or over that gives 90 day entries or possibly a non-oa visa issued for the same reason that gives a one year entry.

I was simply stating there are one year visas, that do not compel you to leave the country every 90 days. The poster was incorrectly stating that the multiple entry required that. Not all multiple entry visas require one to leave the country every 90 days, right?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text