Petrol 95

jjp

Read in the Bangkok post this morning(postbag) that petrol 95 will no longer be avaible in Thailand from Jan 2007. Any one shed any light on this. Also, it it possible to start using petrol 91 instead without changing the engine. Sorry, not that clud up with cars.

Cheers guys

If you have a reasonably modern car you should be able to use regular 95 petrol / benzene (Yellow pump) or Gasohol 95 (Orange pump).

Older vehicles may not like Gasohol (it can attack parts of the fuel system). If your car is pre-2000 or so, best to contact the manufacturer.

Edited by Crossy

If you have a reasonably modern car you should be able to use regular 95 petrol / benzene (Yellow pump) or Gasohol 95 (Orange pump).

Older vehicles may not like Gasohol (it can attack parts of the fuel system). If your car is pre-2000 or so, best to contact the manufacturer.

Cheers Crossy,

I have a 8 month old Toyota Altis so i guess it should be fine.

Thanks again

i was wondering if your car is able to use 91 octane, would it be better to use that over 95 gasohol?

it seems i get better mileage with 91 octane than i do with 95 gasohol. Even though 95 is cheaper, 91 appears to be more economical.

Edited by tom yum goong

i was wondering if your car is able to use 91 octane, would it be better to use that over 95 gasohol?

it seems i get better mileage with 91 octane than i do with 95 gasohol. Even though 95 is cheaper, 91 appears to be more economical.

What you are seeing is the result of the alcohol content of the Gasohol having a lower energy content (about 10%) than gasoline.

If your car can use 91 then the chances are you will spend less on fuel using 91 as opposed to the Gasohol 95. Try some controlled tests to see the real 'savings'.

In my experience the increase in fuel consumption pretty much offsets the reduced cost of the alternative fuel. Unfortunately my car needs 95, and 'real' gasoline is becoming more difficult to obtain so I'm lumbered with the increased consumption :o

I've also had issues with apparently 'bad' tanks of Gasohol giving really awful fuel consumption (about 20% worse than normal). Anyone else had similar experiences?

The cut-off for vehicles the government said was, 10 years old or newer are ok with the gasohol...

Personally, as I don't want lao khao in my tank, come January, I'll go with the 91 at that time, even tho it's not 10 years old.

HOWEVER, something tells me that with this government's track record for setting and keeping dates, I think I'll enjoy the "pure" 95 for longer than Jan.

Edited by sriracha john

I've also had issues with apparently 'bad' tanks of Gasohol giving really awful fuel consumption (about 20% worse than normal). Anyone else had similar experiences?

I've come across the same thing. Driving around BKK on Full strength 95 I average around 420km per tank. On fat free (ok gasohol :o) about 390km. But on occasion I can get as little as 320km.....with no change in traffic etc to explain the extra fuel burn.......weird and annoying

Drivers complain about uncertainties with fuel. Imagine what auto companies think. Suzuki is contemplating setting up a plant in Thailand with about 100 bil baht investment and they can't make a decission because government's policies change every year.

Two years ago it was "small car project".

Last year it was gasohol 20. That taught Ford a lesson (with they new Focus). This year it's CNG - compressed gas.

What next? Biodiesel? Hybrids?

What kind of technology car makers are supposed to invest in?