US expresses concern over Thai political situation and power seizure

webfact

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ROFLMAO, these American folks are all over the world - Ukraine, Middle East, Asia. Luckily, they are so deep in their own sh1t, so all they could do is blah-blah, blah-blah

Mind your own crap, nobody wants your rotten "demicracy"!!!

Thank you for your personal opinion. Thankfully your opinion is in a distinct minority. I agree with you that the U.S. should not act unilaterally in the world unless directly attacked or threatened. If there are not others wanting to face down seizing of another country's national sovereign territory, then fine. Let the strongest bully have what they wish (Ukraine, South China Sea, etc). While changes might be well advised in Thailand, the current steps are not in the interests of the Thai people and any friend of Thais would and should voice concern. I understand you think no one should have any opinion. I disagree and stand firmly committed to the principle that my opinion is equal to yours.

• Like 1

Did not think this was an American bashing OP.

The OP is

US expresses concern over Thai political situation and power seizure. Quoted by Surapong only, nobody has seen this letter other than....

Does anyone really think the US really responded to this Thai issue the way Thaksins cousin Says it did?

Does any body consider Surapong has a vested interest in keeping his cousins govt alive, and purger himself to meet his ends?

Or is it just a convenient avenue to bash the US as a world leader because of a serious inadequacy of one's own countries meager existence or lack of influence on the world stage?

Certainly not the last one!!

Really Steve?

We could go back and do some research on how many posters condemn the US for action or inaction suiting the desired "bash". It really does not matter, Surapong has again added his spin on a boilerplate letter from the US SoE. Why try and make more out it? Why not bash Surapong for instigating an already volatile situation?

The OP is

US expresses concern over Thai political situation and power seizure. Quoted by Surapong only, nobody has seen this letter other than....

Does anyone really think the US really responded to this Thai issue the way Thaksins cousin Says it did?

Does any body consider Surapong has a vested interest in keeping his cousins govt alive, and purger himself to meet his ends?

Or is it just a convenient avenue to bash the US as a world leader because of a serious inadequacy of one's own countries meager existence or lack of influence on the world stage?

Really Steve?

We could go back and do some research on how many posters condemn the US for action or inaction suiting the desired "bash". It really does not matter, Surapong has again added his spin on a boilerplate letter from the US SoE. Why try and make more out it? Why not bash Surapong for instigating an already volatile situation?

That wouldn't serve Steve's own interests. I've pushed back but his posts and my replies get deleted, rightly called "derailment posts" by the Mods. Couldn't agree more actually.

If the USA has any real concerns in this issue it would be getting draged in to a domestic political argument where there is no side with clean hands.

As to there response to any change in power structures it would be better to look at their actions in the region rather than speculate.

Take burma as an example:

After 52 years the military still political dominate the political situation, there is nor real democracy as yet. The military have killed 100 of thousands, Still kill thousands every year. Force villagers in to slave labor. Provide support and encouragement to those undertaking ethnic clensing .....

And the American President pays them State visits, lol

• Like 1

Is it just me...or does anyone else give a sxxt...what the US expresses concern over...anywhere in the world...cleanup your own act at home...quit spying on folks around the world...and just shut-up....

Thanks....no, thanks. Agree, the U.S. Has it's own faults. Does anyone give a sxxt? Ha, get over it, the answer is yes, and forget about the U.S. Shutting up....don't hold your breath....hmm, or do, up to you.

• Like 1

US expresses concern over Thai political situation and power seizure

BANGKOK, 9 April 2014 (NNT) – The United States has handed a letter to the Thai government expressing grave concern over the political situation and the possibility of a power grab.

US Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel R. Russel and US Ambassador to Thailand Kristie Kenney attended a meeting with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at the Ministry of Defense on Tuesday.

Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said after attending the meeting that the US delegation handed a letter from US Secretary of State John Kerry, which expressed concern over the political situation in Thailand, to Ms. Yingluck.

Mr. Surapong added that the US was especially against a military coup or seizure of power. The US was also worried over the effects the problems in Thailand would have on ASEAN as a whole, as Thailand was unable to initiate any new policies in the multilateral arena due to the caretaker status of the government.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2014-04-09 footer_n.gif

Given situations in Asia, Thailand is of strategic interest. Stability is important, and the tough part for the US and allies is siding with the winning side. China sits idly by watching.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think this is probably about the Trans Pacific Partnership. Obama has been pushing it to satisfy his immensely wealthy backers who will be taking care of him after he leaves office. Last year, when President Obama visited, advocating for the TPP was high on his agenda. I speculate that this could be an offer of support for Yingluck if she will push for acceptance. Currently the 11 Asian countries invloved are resisting the U.S. demands, but they may be persuadable if one of the major countries breaks in favor. I don't think it will matter, because the Congress in the U.S. isn't going to accept it. The Democrats see it as anti-labor, the Republicans won't accept anything that might be seen as a victory for Obama. I wonder if they've quietly sent a delegation to Suthep. Probably more secretively, like the CIA station chief and the Commercial Attache. Anyway, this could be nonsense, but the U.S. does have a law on the books that requires them to stop aid to any country where there is a coup. I don't know how much aid they are currently sending to the Thai Armed Forces, but probably the Generals wouldn't like to give it up.

A warning from the US to Thaksin not to get his red army involved.

And to PT and Yingluck to accept the ruling of the courts and not to try to hang on to power at any cost.

I wonder if the letter actually mentioned coup or is this just a bit Surapong added on ?

The US know the army aren't going to give Thaksin the military coup he has been trying for.

They also know that the judicial coup is just the law being applied as it should.

And I am sure they will see the latest 'modern coup' as the BS that it is.

You've actually got 8 likes for that piece of fiction, you misinterpret the whole article and 8 blinkered numpties agree with you, unbelievable!

It's actually a warning to Suthep and the courts alike that the US will in no way support the removal of the elected government on trumped up charges, again!

You might like to explain where the fiction is.

But first I will clarify some points :

We all know from statements by red supporters that there is an armed faction of the reds and that they have been claiming they are getting together a force of 200,000 who will come out and 'fight' should a court verdict go against Yingluck and the caretaker cabinet.

We also know that when PT were in Govt they refused to accept court rulings so it is quite possible they will do the same again and we also know that their UDD supporters have said they will not accept any court ruling that goes against any PTP members.

Should Yingluck or her caretaker ministers defy the law of the land and refuse to accept the legal rulings of the courts it is then equivalent to clinging to power as a negative verdict would require them to step down.

These things must be of concern as they have the potential to escalate into a civil war.

Of far greater concern than Sutheps peaceful rallies in favor of reforms before elections.

We still do not know if the letter mentioned a coup, possibly you do ?

I have explained in a subsequent post why a coup would benefit Thaksin.

Oh and if you could do a post without insults it would be great.

And for your information there is no elected Govt and no MP's at present only a caretaker cabinet.

And to PT and Yingluck to accept the ruling of the courts and not to try to hang on to power at any cost.

I wonder if the letter actually mentioned coup or is this just a bit Surapong added on ?

The US know the army aren't going to give Thaksin the military coup he has been trying for.

They also know that the judicial coup is just the law being applied as it should.

You've actually got 8 likes for that piece of fiction, you misinterpret the whole article and 8 blinkered numpties agree with you, unbelievable!

It's actually a warning to Suthep and the courts alike that the US will in no way support the removal of the elected government on trumped up charges, again!

We all know from statements by red supporters that there is an armed faction of the reds and that they have been claiming they are getting together a force of 200,000 who will come out and 'fight' should a court verdict go against Yingluck and the caretaker cabinet.

We also know that when PT were in Govt they re<deleted>sed to accept court rulings so it is quite possible they will do the same again and we also know that their UDD supporters have said they will not accept any court ruling that goes against any PTP members.

Should Yingluck or her caretaker ministers defy the law of the land and re<deleted>se to accept the legal rulings of the courts it is then equivalent to clinging to power as a negative verdict would require them to step down.

These things must be of concern as they have the potential to escalate into a civil war.

Of far greater concern than Sutheps peace<deleted>l rallies in favor of reforms before elections.

And for your information there is no elected Govt and no MP's at present only a caretaker cabinet.

Since when are refused, refuse and peaceful obscenities?

Seems as though any word containing the letters f & u adjacently are not permitted here.

How funny is that.

Edited by metisdead

Well that can't be right. The charges weren't 'trumped up' but they were politically motivated. They were used as way to show the PM was not fit to govern the country and thus the coup was justified.,

The issue with the army is that no one is quite sure which way Prayuth will jump. He talks a lot about his <deleted>ture and sometimes it sounds as if he playing the 'Swiss gambit'.... see which side is winning and support them whilst pretending to be neutral.

What the US definitely does not want to see is a redshirt army reminiscent of the KR. Now that would provoke a response.

"What the US definitely does not want to see is a redshirt army reminiscent of the KR."

Oh dear! not a good example, given the US supported the Khmer Rouge.

I thought the US didn't interfere in the political situation in Thailand ?

Yo skippy showing concern is not interfering. And what other country has shown ANY concern?????

I would imagine others have expressed concern but it was this one that was mentioned. I don't know why but maybe it's because they think the opinion of the US is important or perhaps this letter provided a good opportunity to spin it their way.

I'm fairly certain the EU expressed concern a while back.

• Like 1

The OP is

Really Steve?

I accept that I have based it all on what that ignoramus said was the case - the US's response is clearly going to be different to that stated by Surapong's lies and exaggerations and is bound to be different on account of this. If they actually understand what this government is like and how they have behaved then I take it all back. The problem that I have with this is that they seem obsessed with elections being democracy when this is far from reality (specifically for Thailand).

I honestly believe that we (TV members) collectively have a greater understanding of the situation than these so-called experts although we obviously disagree greatly (on) the slant of it all, depending on our views.

• Like 1

We also know that when PT were in Govt they re<deleted>sed to accept court rulings so it is quite possible they will do the same again and we also know that their UDD supporters have said they will not accept any court ruling that goes against any PTP members.

Should Yingluck or her caretaker ministers defy the law of the land and re<deleted>se to accept the legal rulings of the courts it is then equivalent to clinging to power as a negative verdict would require them to step down.

Of far greater concern than Sutheps peace<deleted>l rallies in favor of reforms before elections.

Since when are re<deleted>sed, re<deleted>se and peace<deleted>l obscenities?

Seems as though any word containing the letters f & u adjacently are not permitted here.

How <deleted>nny is that.

I wondered why there were so many deletions. Perhaps their trying out new automated deletion software from China?

Don't mention Scunthorpe. biggrin.png

The OP is

Really Steve?

I accept that I have based it all on what that ignoramus said was the case - the US's response is clearly going to be different to that stated by Surapong's lies and exaggerations and is bound to be different on account of this. If they actually understand what this government is like and how they have behaved then I take it all back. The problem that I have with this is that they seem obsessed with elections being democracy when this is far from reality (specifically for Thailand).

I honestly believe that we (TV members) collectively have a greater understanding of the situation than these so-called experts although we obviously disagree greatly (on) the slant of it all, depending on our views.

Have you read the Thai Wikileaks cables?

If you have then you would know just how much more informed and aware of the behind the scenes events the diplomats are than the lonely, broke bitter old men of TV are.

• Like 2

The OP is

Really Steve?

believe it or not John Kerry supports your ideals as do many other Americans including myself.

US Secretary of State John Kerry spoke passionately Wednesday about the "incredible yearning for modernity" sweeping across the world, warning that free elections do not necessarily usher in true democracy in many countries.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Elections-dont-always-lead-to-democracy-says-Kerry-30227951.html

Edited by dcutman

Since when are re<deleted>sed, re<deleted>se and peace<deleted>l obscenities?

How <deleted>nny is that.

Have a look on the forum support page, I have already commented to the mods on that. the comments might give you a laugh.

But on the flip side..... Since when has it bothered the US administration about supporting tyrants with violent thugs that rape and pillage a country and murder its subjects???

They have done their best to support and even install a few of these governments here and there with little or no regard for public opinion.

Being as there few true political differences between the two factions, I see little need for the US to have a major influence. The US cares little as to which Sino-Thai led gang happens to be in power to continue the rape and pillaging, actually just the extraction of capital and natural resources, from the Kingdom. The US only seeks the stability needed to maintain the outflow.

• Like 1

If the letter mentioned that, then it would have been circulated in image format.

That would have been something Surapong and the PTP would be salivating at and would more than happily show the public a scan of the letter.

Of course, we will never be allowed to see the actual latter.

Because it probably doesn't even say that.

Come on Surapong.... Get it out.... we all want to see the letter.

I am sure it will be leaked out, or maybe he burnt it to make sure it can't be.

How is it possible to write 239 posts purely on your opinion and little to no facts. Are you the Thai Judiciary

• Like 1

Quite the opposite.

The US won't allow a coup that's why the establishment is currently fiddling away with all these failed coup attempts by other means - they are no longer allowed to just roll in with the tanks - those days are over.

Thaksin does not want a coup, he wants free and fair elections and that is why the US supports his cause.

The world sees how silly the Thai courts are with their overt bias and lack of legal legitimacy - they have no international respect left and are seen as what they truly are, a tool for the establishment to subvert the will of the people.

The US is to be applauded for its stand against evil.

Oh come on the Camel Turd in Dubai wants free and fair elections cheesy.gif Ya I can see that in 2010 he had his red minions burn down parts of Bangkok barricade them self's in with weapons got into a fight with the government got their ass kicked and then had the balls to cry like little baby's they are when 90 or so of them got killed due to their own actions no one else's !! And now once they buy their way into power they steal everything that's not bolted down !! they get caught and again to hang onto power they threaten, intimidate beat up monks and kill children and cheer about it like the scum they are !! Ya right get off the pipe Dude !!

Well that can't be right. The charges weren't 'trumped up' but they were politically motivated. They were used as way to show the PM was not fit to govern the country and thus the coup was justified.,

The issue with the army is that no one is quite sure which way Prayuth will jump. He talks a lot about his <deleted>ture and sometimes it sounds as if he playing the 'Swiss gambit'.... see which side is winning and support them whilst pretending to be neutral.

What the US definitely does not want to see is a redshirt army reminiscent of the KR. Now that would provoke a response.

"What the US definitely does not want to see is a redshirt army reminiscent of the KR."

Oh dear! not a good example, given the US supported the Khmer Rouge.

Hardly relevant to today is it? The US has backed all sorts in it's time... it's called political expediency.

Edited by bigbamboo

OK, I can see that we are on the same page now and perhaps the US secretary of state (who I think is up there with the best that I have seen) hasn't been suckered into Surapong's biased and extravagant views/lies as to what really was stated in the letter.

If the letter mentioned that, then it would have been circulated in image format.

That would have been something Surapong and the PTP would be salivating at and would more than happily show the public a scan of the letter.

Of course, we will never be allowed to see the actual latter.

Because it probably doesn't even say that.

Come on Surapong.... Get it out.... we all want to see the letter.

I am sure it will be leaked out, or maybe he burnt it to make sure it can't be.

How is it possible to write 239 posts purely on your opinion and little to no facts. Are you the Thai Judiciary

So your first post stated "Hi..just joined to comment on my passport renewal Liverpool experiences."

​Then your next 4 posts were demonizing or condescending remarks to supporters of the 15 principle of democracy.

Either the Liverpool passport experience is very Thai political orientated or your first post is a guise to come in undercover thinking that others won't look up your history.

Either way you look at it……………...You failed.

• Like 1

The US wants their Shin puppets to stay in power, so they can continue raping the Country wai2.gif

The current US administration is Democrat. US Democrats have traditionally allied themselves with the banksters. US banksters want to rule the world. You may be correct.

Google Caryle Group, Bilderburg Group, Trilateral Commission, Trans Pacific Partnership.

What incredible nonsense this is. It was the Bush administration (with their lackeys in Goldman Sachs) who bailed out the banksters who were "too big to fail". And Obama, who had a massive vote of confidence in 2008,(and therefore could have resisted this toxic policy) went along with this BS.

Don't go there, Obama fanboi. Democrats go with bankers like Republicans go with corporations.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.” - Ronald Reagan

Thailand is a security treaty formal ally of the United States, is an important trading partner, the major economy of mainland SE Asia, and in Asean is second only to Indonesia. The United States interacts with Thailand in many and complex ways. The diplomatic letter almost everyone is dying to see and read is but one kind of the interaction that naturally occurs between treaty allies and governments that have a significant measure of fundamentally common interests.

One man's poison (interfere) is another man's fruit (interact).

Edited by Publicus

But on the flip side..... Since when has it bothered the US administration about supporting tyrants with violent thugs that rape and pillage a country and murder its subjects???

They have done their best to support and even install a few of these governments here and there with little or no regard for public opinion.

I think that the world (and remember the USA thinks they are the world) is more concerned regarding ASEAN more then the political unrest or the Thai people to be honest.

Sorry to anyone from the USA. It's nothing personal. You people are lovely but the polititions really do think they are the world police.

Not interfering.

The US government statement is a reflection of its long standing foreign policy and is shared by the EU, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and other democracies.

I think that the world (and remember the USA thinks they are the world) is more concerned regarding ASEAN more then the political unrest or the Thai people to be honest.

Sorry to anyone from the USA. It's nothing personal. You people are lovely but the polititions really do think they are the world police.

USA is not saying anything inconsistent with other countries. If Thailand wishes to maintain favoured trade status with the USA, then it has to meet some basic requirements.

The USA has neither threatened Thailand or acted as a policeman.

Hmmm, Suthep's not gonna like that huh, I wonder will he order his mates to go and protest the US embassy and calls for them to be thrown out of the country?

1 not a big deal.

2 US government employees with ties to thaksin will sever. (Not his personally paid teams of US lobbiest though... i believe.. 12)

3 the CIA has invested heavily into thailand.

4 the NSA is here.

the meeting was 40 miniutes. from when she walked in. if anything the note read:

To the Shinawatra clan, your all <deleted>. We know what your up to. We also understand how you were elected democratically through bribes. We aslo understand how you destroyed the farmers way of life so you could hire them at a more affordable rate. the question is HOW DO YOUR GUYS <deleted> UP DEMOCRACY IN ONE LIFETIME?. Fix it before the thai people get MS13 on your ass.

Sincerely, 'Merica

and that is exactly what the note said.

Rubbish, what they said is WE'RE NOT FOOLED, put into polite language. You want to sack the government for moving a civil servant? WE'RE NOT FOOLED. You want to block elections by simply never holding them? WE'RE NOT FOOLED, they call it a power grab, which is what it is.

It matters because they provide a large part of our defense and a huge part of our trade, and they're not idiots and know what's going on.

Being as there few true political differences between the two factions, I see little need for the US to have a major influence. The US cares little as to which Sino-Thai led gang happens to be in power to continue the rape and pillaging, actually just the extraction of capital and natural resources, from the Kingdom. The US only seeks the stability needed to maintain the outflow.

Resources and access to such resources has being the name of the game as time immemorial, and the cause of most if not all major wars.

The US has being much maligned for it's foreign policy. and there is much to complain about, but I think history when examined hundreds of years from now might have a more different and positive perspective.

After WWII much of the worlds industrial capacity was destroyed, leaving the US with a very large percentage of the Worlds GDP (or should I say GWP) .much to it's credit, and not for altruistic only reasons, through the Marshal plan it helped the world rebuild, It combated Communism, some times with disastrous results such as in South East Asia, and Vietnam more specifically.

As I said, Not all for altruistic reasons

and as a consequence it's share of the worlds gross product decreased.

The business of America, is Business and war is not good for business, It might be good for some business in the short run, and regional skirmishes might provide some opportunities for business, but the past model was not sustainable..

So now we find our self's in a new paradigm of global markets, and global engagements. economic interests that are so intertwined, that make global war virtually impossible.

This new world order is not with out it's dangers, foreseen and unforeseen consequences,

The pie is so big, and as more diners are coming to the table until we bake a bigger pie every one will have to do with a smaller slice. Those used to eating big and getting fat will not like it too much, and that;s what we are seeing in the west, and more specifically in the USA

We are in flux between the old and the new paradigm. But it is something that needs to be done, and the results so far are encouraging, Aside from regional skirmishes, we live in a time of unparalleled peace and prosperity.

Thailand with ASEAN is about to enter in a new era in it's dealings with it's neighbors, I am sure the US , does not want to mess with that transition, Change will evolutionary, and not as Suthep thinks revolutionary.

​A superficial assessment to be sure, and one that glosses over many issues, but the situation IMO is not all gloom and Doom.