Cheapest Charlie

ZigZagMan

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A guy I know that was visiting Bangkok last year boasted to me how he saves money by taking all the tissue and packs of sugar when he visits coffee houses and takes the chop sticks from noodle places .

What kind of 5 star hotel attracts people that want to cook their own food ?

That sort of stuff tends to happen with certain nationalities that don't mind forging out for a room but then want everything else free. A generalization, I know, but after 30 years of working in hotels I do allow myself that generalization.

Is your 5 star hotel full of guests working for American Corporate's, in an Asian country from who they are given bonuses of flights and hotels. But are otherwise poorly paid in relation to the West. If so, I'll stick to 3 star hotels :)

I often take my own water in to bars and other high end venues. Why. I purchase 20 litre bottles for 12 baht. Why the <removed> do I want to pay 20 or 30 baht for 500ml here in Phuket.

You should bring in your own alcohol as well. Much cheaper. Why would you want to pay the inflated prices bar charge when you can just drag in a carrier bag full of 7-11 bought drink? Also you'll look really classy carrying around bottles in order to save 20 baht or so. And you won't look like you've misunderstood how bars and restaurants make money at all either.

At most big Thai restaurants they always take their own and just buy mixers and ice.

The bottles that come out are JW Blue and Black, Chivas seems the most popular.

They are proudly displayed on the table and they would never even think of buying alcohol unless someone really fancied a beer.

My guess is that bottle is re-used time and time again filled with Sang Som. wink.png

1 of the tightest gits in thailand is worth around £40 million (and growing daily) he bought a house right down in naklua cos it was cheap, he walks outside to buy 30bt barbeque chicken because restaurants are too expensive. he will only drink on naklua road because going further into pattaya means he would have to change baht busses costing another 10bt fare.

he once went in to fill up his pick up truck and told them (in front of 3 guys in the truck) to put "100baht" in the tank! drop round for a drink with him and he will crack open a small bottle of sprite (for 2) and keep it topped up with ice until its just ice water. he painted his rain gutters on his house up to 2 m high from the ground and got a thai to go up a ladder to paint the rest, this saved him 200baht labour charge.

he will be the richest corpse in the graveyard, no doubt about that.

That's nothing.

My Dad used to tell me about depression cocktail.

Go to a restaurant and get some water and saltine crackers.

Put the saltines in the water and add lots of ketchup.

I'm unclear on whether the crackers were just on the table already ... probably so.

I guess you prepare this delicacy quickly and gulp it down before the management goes after you with a baseball bat!

That's dinner!

Yeah, I couldn't bring my own drinks into a regular restaurant. But I don't bother judging those who do.

Edited by Jingthing

1 of the tightest gits in thailand is worth around £40 million (and growing daily) he bought a house right down in naklua cos it was cheap, he walks outside to buy 30bt barbeque chicken because restaurants are too expensive. he will only drink on naklua road because going further into pattaya means he would have to change baht busses costing another 10bt fare.

he once went in to fill up his pick up truck and told them (in front of 3 guys in the truck) to put "100baht" in the tank! drop round for a drink with him and he will crack open a small bottle of sprite (for 2) and keep it topped up with ice until its just ice water. he painted his rain gutters on his house up to 2 m high from the ground and got a thai to go up a ladder to paint the rest, this saved him 200baht labour charge.

Does he worry what you do with your money?

In a group at a Sizzler restaurant my mate ordered 3 fresh orange juices.

When he found that we had already warned the waitress we wanted separate bills, he told her to take the juices back and bring his family water!!!!!

Years ago my old Dad found a pair of crutches at the rubbish dump. Took them home and broke Mums legs.

Edited by Mudcrab

I personally knew a dollar multi-millionaire who would bring his own tea bags to restaurants, ask for hot water, and refuse any charges for the hot water, if made. coffee1.gif At places which did serve tea.

Maybe he's tasted the tea most places serve?

ZigZagMan

Posted Today, 11:37

NormanW, schondie and Ron19 like thisSome are taking the cheap charlie thing to extremes.

Reading the forum the other day of a fellow that smuggles his own bottle of drinking water into the Hilton Hotel buffet.

Not only that but he goes to the drinking water dispenser at the Bic C food court to fill his bottles up, free.

I realize that some living here are on pension or limited income and must keep the cost of living expenses in check..... but... eating at the Hilton... and smuggling in stolen drinking water?

Now is that taking the cheap charlie act too far?

Do you know anybody cheaper than that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You call a guy that goes eating at Hotel Hilton for a cheap Charlie??? Where the rooms cost a fortune and the food cost a fortune.....

I maybe just do not undrstand this word: cheap Charlie - or maybe just do not undrstand you???

Glegolo

Thats for sure you cant take it with you.

That sort of stuff tends to happen with certain nationalities that don't mind forging out for a room but then want everything else free. A generalization, I know, but after 30 years of working in hotels I do allow myself that generalization.

I understand. I used to have a restaurant years ago and certain nationality would be inclined to haggle over the menu prices. The local Thais and Burmese who are judged to be far poorer never stooped so low.

My staff refused to take their orders as they were so rude. Never would I want to go back to arguing over a 5 baht bottle of water, they would offer 2 baht etc.

I often take my own water in to bars and other high end venues. Why. I purchase 20 litre bottles for 12 baht. Why the <removed> do I want to pay 20 or 30 baht for 500ml here in Phuket.

When I'm not at home and I go for breakfast to a restaurant or cafe, I take a flask of English breakfast tea with me, because if I don't, the tea will come first, no matter what you ask them, and by the time the eggs and bacon etc comes, the tea is cold.

I've found that it's the Thai Chinese that take this to extremes and they are usually well off.

My Landlady who was a Judge and married to the Thong Lor Police Chief wore one dress and the other one was always out drying. She came to congratulate me on the birth of a daughter and put up my water bill by 500 baht as we'd be using more. She'd collect my wastepaper and sell it out on the street and she owned property worth at least 1 billion baht, probably a lot more.

Gee, and they say the Scots are mean.

Why be concerned what other folk do. rolleyes.gif

My wife buys me second hand T-shirts in the market which have farang labels on the collar, why, cos they are good quality and fit me. A wash and iron then me thumbsup.gif .

Now you can tell all that Trans is a cheap charlie................laugh.png

Yes, But are you a grumpy old bugger too?

That's not very nice weegee.

Couldn't imagine showing up in a restaurant, getting seated, refusing the menus, then pulling out some tupperware, handing it to the waitress while explaining I'd like that reheated and served on proper plates please.

I saw almost that exact thing at a McDonald's last year in England, out came the tupperware boxes. Most of the adults were Indian (Sheik) and I ignored it as they wouldn't eat beef. Only the kids were eating, mum, dad, aunties, uncles and grandma were into the sandwiches.

Not that I'd call McDonald's a restaurant. Honest.

When I first came here I used to go for coffee with friends but soon gave it a miss from sheer embarrassment. I discovered it was quite normal for them to buy a single coffee and take up that table talking for the following two hours, well after the drink was finished. I often wonder why the Thai staff were so tolerant of this, particularly when there were customers being turned away as no tables were available. At home restaurant staff wouldn't be backward about coming forward and asking you to leave if you were not having anything more.

Quite a few in Malaysia that I've been in. They're used to it, signs up in some of them specifically forbidding and kind of cooking in the room.

You should bring in your own alcohol as well. Much cheaper. Why would you want to pay the inflated prices bar charge when you can just drag in a carrier bag full of 7-11 bought drink? Also you'll look really classy carrying around bottles in order to save 20 baht or so. And you won't look like you've misunderstood how bars and restaurants make money at all either.

I am waiting for some poster to say he buys a 14 Baht can of orange juice from 7-11, then takes it into the bar for a ladydrink for the bargirl, that will save him about 120 Baht.

I use 1 tea bag to make 2 cups of tea!

(Dilmah Ceylon tea bags from Makro @129Bht for 100)

Must taste and look like gnat's pee...

You have to remember that not everyone likes strong tea.

I've always brought back Dilmah Extra Strength from Australia, and that certainly does 2 cups, but the reason it came back with me was that you could only get Dilmah in boxes of 25 for some exorbitant fee in Tops. Now that I can get boxes of 100 Makro for a reasonable price I won't bother bringing it any more. Personally, I wouldn't use it for 2 cups, but that's because I like it a little bit strong (just not Extra Strength).

Quite a few in Malaysia that I've been in. They're used to it, signs up in some of them specifically forbidding and kind of cooking in the room.

Cooking in the room is far removed from rocking up the restaurant kitchen asking the head chef to fire up the grille so you can cook some bacon and eggs.

My mother is a Scot and was always frugal but not cheap, she would buy the best quality shoes for the family as they were a better buy in the long run.

cheapness comes from some sort of mind set to get away with not paying. Personally I don't like paying for water when I go out to a restaurant. Water should be given free. However the bottled water craze means that people are willing to pay for it and do so. I know a restaurant that gives you free water but then tacks on VAT. In his class of restaurant in Chiang mai not one other restaurant does this. So your always behind the eight ball. As my Irish father would say Boycott them as my great grandfather did to Capt. Boycott

I have yet to eat food in a so-called 5 star hotel in Bangkok that was worth even half of what I paid for it. They use Thai crap ingredients. They use Thai cooks that have no idea about western food. They use Thai waiters that don't speak english well enough. The after dinner coffee is the crap "Bon Cafe". I'll stick to som tam and catfish on the street(delicious!) and I'll only eat western food when out of Thailand. I'm not surprised people bring their own tea to a restaurant. They simply want to enjoy a good cup of tea with their dinner and they know most restaurants serve cheap crap tea to save money and they think their customers are idiots and won't notice.