Thai Lion Air - Hat Yai Routes

Stocky

Thai Lion Air have started flying from Hat Yai with some interesting routes.

Hat Yai - Bangkok (DM)

Hat Yai - Kuala Lumpur (Subang Airport)

Hat Yai - Medan (Sumatra)

Hat Yai - Surat Thani

Hat Yai - Hua Hin

The Bangkok route is 6 flights daily, not so sure about the frequency on the other routes. They're using 737-900s on the Bangkok route and ATR 72-600 turboprops on the other routes. All the aircraft are new.

I hope they succeed, I miss the FireFly flight from Hat Yai to KL Subang it's far better than arriving at the LCCT.

• 1 month later...

People heading to Koh Samui. Several have tried the Phuket route, most recently Happy Air, but it never seems to work out.

I got flights for 3 to Hua Hin and back for THB 5,970.

Edited by Stocky

People heading to Koh Samui. Several have tried the Phuket route, most recently Happy Air, but it never seems to work out.

I got flights for 3 to Hua Hin and back for THB 5,970.

Happy Air (mismanagement) was followed by NokAir (too big an aircraft, negligible publicity)...PhuketAir almost always had full flights when they had the route, but their problems in Europe (blacklisted) and the bombing of HDY marked the end of that service too...All that said, Lion seems the best likely candidate.

They're all fairly new Airbus A320s on Tiger, none is older than eight years most are 2 to 3 years old. You should try flying some of the Indonesian airlines if you want old - Sriwijaya have several 737's that are 20 to 25 years old.

It would be good to have competition, although Tiger have some really cheap flights at times. This time last year it cost me SIN$36 return.

Re the age of the plane....I wouldn't know, but the revs kept going up and down, and the incline of the ascent kept changing from steep to near level to steep again very quickly. I was 25kgs over weight and the nice Tiger girl said she'd only record 20.....I thought if she knocks 5kg off every passenger, the plane could be carrying half a tonne more than the pilot thought.