Coming April 13. Need advice on what beach for the day?

Hi. My gf and I are flying in at 7am on the morning of the Sunday April 13th (I think its Songkran day) and we need to get to Nathon Pier to catch the ferry to Phangan which leaves at 1:45. My questions are this:

1. Whats the best way and price to get from the airport to Nathon Pier? I heard that a taxi could be 600 baht and that its a 40 minute ride. Can we take a songteaw?

2. Is there a beach near Nathon Pier that we could spend a few hours at? I would probably prefer to get near the pier as early as we can because it might be crazy traffic that day on the island. We could then spend a day near the pier at a beach.

Thanks!

I think that you would have to be very lucky to find a songteaw on the airport road. Especially that time of the morning. You would probably have to walk to Bangrak at least.

The best way to get to Nathon would be with a taxi, but it might cost more than 600 baht. My local taxi driver charges 1,000 baht to the Seatran pier and I do not live that far from the airport.

I think that some mini buses charge on a per person basis - but I have no idea if they go to Nathon.

There is a beach at Nathon - but it is pretty grim - it's a commercial port with ferries, fishing boats, etc and all of the rubbish that goes with that. Head south on the beach for a cleaner/quiet area - towards the hospital and Lipa Noi.

There are lots of restaurants and open areas to sit out and relax with a drink or two though.

Sorry that I could not be more helpful.

• Like 2

Thanks for your answers.

Tropicalevo, thanks for the songteaw and taxi info. It sure sounds like alot of money for a 40 minute drive, but I guess thats what it is.

Yorkie, we tried to find a boat to Phangan and only found ones that leave from Nathon and Mae Nam, but the Mae Nam one was booked already (a month ago). I will look today to see if we can find one that leaves from Bangrak, that would sure be much easier. I just talked to a lady at the boat company and she said Mae Nam is near the airport, and she said Mae Nam is the same as Bangrak? I dont think I understood her very well.

600 baht for 40 minutes in a taxi sounds like a lot of money? In a lot of destinations around the world it's a bargain.

I was 15 minutes in 1 the other night in my city and it was 900 baht.

Samui airport being a privately owned airport does not allow public taxi's to pick up passengers within it's confines.

If you want a private car out it will cost 800 baht from the airport to Nathon. That's per vehicle, it's 200 baht per person in shared mini van but you may have to wait around until the van has enough people to start the trip.

http://www.samuiairportonline.com/transportation

Samui has a controlled taxi service, if you can get it for 600 baht from outside the airport to Nathon then grab it.

Other options are companies who do island transport, try googling samui island explorers or mr samui, they may be of help.

Thanks that's just the information I was looking for.

I misread what Tropic wrote, I thought (s)he said that it would be more than 1000. Although 600 is more reasonable, it's still twice or 3 times what it would be in Bangkok.

Thanks again for the info.

600 baht for 40 minutes in a taxi sounds like a lot of money? In a lot of destinations around the world it's a bargain.
I was 15 minutes in 1 the other night in my city and it was 900 baht.

Samui airport being a privately owned airport does not allow public taxi's to pick up passengers within it's confines.
If you want a private car out it will cost 800 baht from the airport to Nathon. That's per vehicle, it's 200 baht per person in shared mini van but you may have to wait around until the van has enough people to start the trip.

http://www.samuiairportonline.com/transportation

Samui has a controlled taxi service, if you can get it for 600 baht from outside the airport to Nathon then grab it.

Other options are companies who do island transport, try googling samui island explorers or mr samui, they may be of help.

Thanks for your answers.

Tropicalevo, thanks for the songteaw and taxi info. It sure sounds like alot of money for a 40 minute drive, but I guess thats what it is.

Yorkie, we tried to find a boat to Phangan and only found ones that leave from Nathon and Mae Nam, but the Mae Nam one was booked already (a month ago). I will look today to see if we can find one that leaves from Bangrak, that would sure be much easier. I just talked to a lady at the boat company and she said Mae Nam is near the airport, and she said Mae Nam is the same as Bangrak? I dont think I understood her very well.

If you arrive 7.00am just take a taxi to Bangrak Pier, use Seatran ferry, leaves daily 8.00am and 13.30pm, I think Baht 300 per person for ferry.

Maenam and Bangrak are about 20 minutes apart by car, so not really close by.

You can also ask with any hotel that operates speedboats from Bangrak, i.e. Santhiya Resort, Panviman Resort, Buri Rasa Resort, Anantara Rasananda Resort (all located at Tong Nai Pan Beach on Phangan), more expensive than ferry, but if you are heading to that beach in Phangan anyway, may be even cheaper than taxi to Nathon, ferry ticket and then taxi from Thongsala Pier in Phangan to your resort. Resorts also usually pick you up at airport and take you straight to their pier. Price included in speedboat ticket. Good luck.

13. is Songkran is traffic jams and chaos all the way to Nathon ~25 km. It will take much longer than usual and taxis may not go or may go, but for much more than 600. Also, if you step out somewhere public, e.g. Bangrak or at the street infront Nathon pier you can be soaked completely, so everything you have with you, luggage, cameras, mobile, watch etc. Where is your hotel on KPG?

Thanks Samui Coconut. I called the ferry from Bangrak and she told me that there will not be enough time for me to get from the airport (my flight arrives 0720) to the boat which leaves at 0800. I know it might only normally be a 15 minute ride, but she discouraged me from buying the ticket. She told me to take the later ferry that leaves from Nathon! I will start making inquiries into speedboats.

Thanks for your answers.

If you arrive 7.00am just take a taxi to Bangrak Pier, use Seatran ferry, leaves daily 8.00am and 13.30pm, I think Baht 300 per person for ferry.

You can also ask with any hotel that operates speedboats from Bangrak, i.e. Santhiya Resort, Panviman Resort, Buri Rasa Resort, Anantara Rasananda Resort (all located at Tong Nai Pan Beach on Phangan), more expensive than ferry, but if you are heading to that beach in Phangan anyway, may be even cheaper than taxi to Nathon, ferry ticket and then taxi from Thongsala Pier in Phangan to your resort. Resorts also usually pick you up at airport and take you straight to their pier. Price included in speedboat ticket. Good luck.

Thanks Birdman. You make some excellent points, and Im not sure how bad the traffic will be that day, but Im sure alot slower than normal. I might start inquiring into speedboats since the taxi/van plus ferry will cost at least 1200 (if not more) for 2 people anyway as Samui Coconut mentioned.

I will have all my suitcases wrapped in plastic at swampy airport before we go, and not wear anything that is not waterproof.

13. is Songkran is traffic jams and chaos all the way to Nathon ~25 km. It will take much longer than usual and taxis may not go or may go, but for much more than 600. Also, if you step out somewhere public, e.g. Bangrak or at the street infront Nathon pier you can be soaked completely, so everything you have with you, luggage, cameras, mobile, watch etc. Where is your hotel on KPG?

Thanks Samui Coconut. I called the ferry from Bangrak and she told me that there will not be enough time for me to get from the airport (my flight arrives 0720) to the boat which leaves at 0800. I know it might only normally be a 15 minute ride, but she discouraged me from buying the ticket. She told me to take the later ferry that leaves from Nathon! I will start making inquiries into speedboats.

Thanks for your answers.

It will save you a lot of hassle if you take the 13.30pm Seatran ferry from Bangrak rather than going to Nathon and taking the 13.45 pm ferry. Seatran will arrive in Phangan before anyway and the beach in Bangrak is much better too, with many restaurants and bars.

• Like 1

there is also, not too far away on Bangrak the Had Rin Queen at 10:30 or 13:00 to Had Rin for 200 and from there by taxi to your hotel, which also will not be cheap depending on the location. And better make it quick, because Had Rin will be brutal. Maybe also some soaking on Had Rin Queen. Speedboats to the luxury hotels will cost much more.

Not that busy at 7 am!

Try http://www.seatrandiscovery.com/home.php

Which ferry have you booked, to KP? ... from Nathon, that is a long ride w00t.gif The Lomprayah one leaves Maenam pier around noon...

Lomprayah time table here: Half hour ride from Maenam to Tonsala. KP.

http://www.lomprayah.com/E/route.htm

Seatran from Ban Rak time table here...

http://www.seatrandiscovery.com/EN/time_table.html

Because public holiday the fares look like they are more sad.png Usually return trip Samui to KP 500 baht when booked in advance..(even at the counter too)

As for Songkran, unless things really change this year the water throwing really does not start until nearly noon.... and pass Maenam is pretty much non existent from my experience over the years.... so that should not be a problem....

There are not really any nice beach area in Nanthon, but the town is quite nice to wander around.... probably not much open until 10 am.

I would avoid the taxi to Nanthon any way and choose one of the choices above. wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Bang Rak is almost next to the airport and there are several smaller ferry boats heading for Koh Phangan, mainly Had Rin beach. There is a minibus shuttle from the airport to Bang Rak, probably 100 or 200 baht a person. There are three ferry piers, the new with Seatran ferries, and the two old are next to each other; from one of those a regular small ferry leaves something like every second hour, there may also be a speed boat service. Next to the old ferry piers is a reasonable, but far from outstanding, beach and some restaurants.

From Maenam the catamaran ferry leaves at 12 o’clock noon. Maenam pier is half way to Nathon. There will be minibus available from the airport to either the Lomprayah ferry pier or the resorts next to it for probably 200-300 baht a person. The catamaran ferry may be fully booked in advance, you can check more on www.lomprayah.com

Traffic may hectic on April 13th, as the locals will drive their pick-up cars loaded with water around the island and splash on everybody. Along the roadside people will stand ready with water hoses and baby powder. It will probably difficult to find a Song Thaew that day; expect the possibility of getting (soaking) wet and pack camera and mobiles in plastic bags if you use public transportation.

Only reasonable beach near Nathon is Lipa Noi, a bit south of the town. Transportation to/from the beach is difficult if you don’t have your own, especially on Song Kran day. Most of Nathon will be closed down due to the Water War.

Wish you happy Song Kran… smile.png

There are mini buses that go all over the island for those arriving at samui airport you buy the ticket where you pick up your luggage tell them you want to go to Nathon pier not sue how much but a lot cheaper than a taxi there is plenty to do in Nathon and there is also a beach but depends on the tides remember it is full moon so the tides are changing and sometimes the water looks a little murky you could of course catch a boat from Bangrak which is much closer to the airport you would get the seatran to koh phangan so there is no need to go all the way to Nathon there are many options and nice beaches but leaving from Nathon to Phangan would have been my least favoured routes and I have been living here for 8 years I really think you would be better getting the seatran from Bangrak much close and cheaper and plenty to do around the pier ENJOY

• Like 1

Good advice depends also where the hotel on KPG is. One ferry will bring you to the South East, the other to the West, the third goes along the East coast to the North.........

Re. ferries on Bangrak, there are 2 public ferries going to KPG, Had Rin Queen from Had Rin Queen Pier and Seatrans from Bangrak Pier, and hotel speed boats to their hotels form Petcharat pier and from the beach. All the other boats from all the other piers and places at the beach are tour boats to Koh Tao and Angthong and around Samui and other places.

• Like 2

Our lodging is on Nai Wok Beach, NW of Thongsala.

Then the Seatran ferry from Bang Rak (new pier aka Seatran Pier), Lomprayah from Maenam Beach, or the ferry from Nathon.

Ferries for Had Rin will be a bad option, as you have to cross the southern part of Koh Phangan...

Edit: By the way, we overlooked the option with the original ferry boat from Maenam Pier (middle of the beach) to Had Rin – sails at 12 noon, no advanced booking, just show up no later than half an hour before – but it lands at Had Rin. Maenam Beach is a good and not too crowded beach and there are a number of restaurant around the “pier” (which is long gone, now the ferry just land on the beach). Minibus from A/P to Maenam (Soi 4) about 200-300 bath a person.

Edited by khunPer

I would try to catch the first Seatran at 08:00, first flight can arrive sometimes at 06:45 > at the airport next taxi at 07:15, maybe, if you check in the luggage, if not earlier > at the pier at 07:25, maybe. If too late or full, I would walk from Seatran to Had Rin Queen on the beach left and take the ferry at 10:30h and from Had Rin by taxi to the resort. You could leave the luggage at the Had Rin Queen and do sightseeing at Big Buddha or/and the original fish market next to the Seatran pier or relax in one of the many places at Bangrak. You will get wet, however, or you walk on the beach.

Second choice: plan A too hectic or plane arrives 07:00 or later: airport shuttle to Nathon > Songserm at 11:00 from Nathon to Tong Sala > Taxi to the resort

Edited by Birdman

We will try to catch the 0800 boat from Bangrak if our flight is ahead of schedule. If we cant get on the 0800, then we will look for alternatives such as speedboat or Mae Nam boat.

Thanks again everyone and have a happy and safe Songkran!

• Like 2

We will try to catch the 0800 boat from Bangrak if our flight is ahead of schedule. If we cant get on the 0800, then we will look for alternatives such as speedboat or Mae Nam boat.

Ummm.... I have lived in Maeman for about 6 years, and never seen where this Maenam Noon boat leaves from ....blink.png

Does anyone know where it leaves from exactly?

..... just so Rideswings does not get lost.... I have seen signs advertizing it on Soi 4 but that is about all I have ever seen! I don't think it is at the Lomprayah Maenam terminal.... ???

Hope you make the Ban Rak one ! RW ..... it's going to save a lot of running around! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Ummm.... I have lived in Maeman for about 6 years, and never seen where this Maenam Noon boat leaves from ....blink.png

..... just so Rideswings does not get lost.... I have seen signs advertizing it on Soi 4 but that is about all I have ever seen! I don't think it is at the Lomprayah Maenam terminal.... ???

Hope you make the Ban Rak one ! RW ..... it's going to save a lot of running around! wink.png

Every day in the “season” (meaning not during Monsun month November-December) from the sala at Soi 4, aka Maenam Pier. Heads for Had Rin and all the way up north to Tong Nai Pan Yai. smile.png

post-122720-0-76521300-1397232801_thumb.

Every day in the “season” (meaning not during Monsun month November-December) from the sala at Soi 4, aka Maenam Pier. Heads for Had Rin and all the way up north to Tong Nai Pan Yai. smile.png

Thanks Khunper!

Amazed I have never seen it or even heard of anyone using it!

Looks like it would be a slow boat to "China", like the Haad Rin Queen... bah.gif

Agree, Lomprayah would be a much better bet! (as second choice, if Ban Rak Seatran is missed) ..... Half hour and you are in Tongsala!

• Like 1

Thanks Khunper!

Amazed I have never seen it or even heard of anyone using it!

Looks like it would be a slow boat to "China", like the Haad Rin Queen... bah.gif

Agree, Lomprayah would be a much better bet! (as second choice, if Ban Rak Seatran is missed) ..... Half hour and you are in Tongsala!

Thanks, now you amaze me Samui Jimmy, which all your knowledge about secrete beaches and hidden places around here… smile.png
To my knowledge – so I’ve been told, but I have not been here long enough to verify – the Tong Nai Pan Express was one of the first, if not the very first regular ferry line to Koh Phangan; back from the rural days before mass tourism, back when the back packers stayed in bamboo huts at Maenam Beach, “long” before Chaweng was invented. The ferry docks, if requested, in all the small bays up the North coast of Koh Phangen – small bays without road acess and electricity (both may have come since I was up there last) where you may still find meditating New Age hippies, who forget heading back home biggrin.png – on it’s way to the final destination, the 2 Tong Nai Pan bays.
Anyway, the ferry line has three boats, and the Tong Nai Pan Express may not be that slow “boat to China”, takes about 20 minutes to cross from Maenam to Had Rin. whistling.gif