Severe water shortage on Koh Tao

Those posters living or staying on Koh Tao will know that there has been a severe water shortage on Tao of late. They have been switching off the water during the night which I have managed to live with but the last 4 days I have had none during the time I am at home.The water is now only on where I am staying between 9 and 11 and 4 till 6. As I leave the house at 7-30 and don't get back till around the same time at night I am in a pickle.

Showering in bottled water isn't good at the best of times and with Songkran coming up in a few days it is only going to get worse.. I may have to bail out to the mainland for a month till we get some rain here. Evidently it has rained since November for any great length of time hence the lack of water.

sad.png

A few days of short showers in Koh Phangan, helping to refill the wells and the government supply.

This morning almost one hour of sometimes heavy rain in most of the island.

Probably due to the presence of 600 mt high mountains.

Take a bath in the sea not surprised there is no water the new builds over the last few years have got out of hand the island is surrounded by crystal clear water yet no one has considered building a desalination plant to provide water

• 2 weeks later...

I love koh tao and I'll be happy if there would be anything to scare tourists biggrin.png

but there are simple procedures to have unlimited water supply in this lovely island, I don't know why they don't use them!

Sadly - potable water is not unlimited.

My understanding is that the wells on Koh Tao have run dry and water is being shipped in. Please correct me if I have been misinformed.

Unfortanelty tourism and economical use of water seem not to be able to live together.

• Like 1

Sadly - potable water is not unlimited.

My understanding is that the wells on Koh Tao have run dry and water is being shipped in. Please correct me if I have been misinformed.

Unfortanelty tourism and economical use of water seem not to be able to live together.

I was in Than Sadet on Phangan recently and saw a largish red/orange ship moored near the shore; I was told it was picking up water from the Than Sadet river for delivery to Tao.

• Like 1

Shower with a friend too! tongue.pngbiggrin.png

It sure would be nice to see a let up, with this heat.... speaking for Samui, the only place I have seen/heard of rain a number of times recently is around Nathon, Lipa Noi areas... or in hills above Maenam,...sad.png

• Like 2