Does anyone know the rules and regulations with regards to importing food? i.e do I need an import license.

Im thinking of items that are sealed, tinned, bottled etc nothing that would be classed as "fresh" or "live"

Any replies along the line of postage costs please dont bother ,Im well aware of how much it costs to post things worldwide.

Thanks

Does anyone know the rules and regulations with regards to importing food? i.e do I need an import license.

Im thinking of items that are sealed, tinned, bottled etc nothing that would be classed as "fresh" or "live"

Any replies along the line of postage costs please dont bother ,Im well aware of how much it costs to post things worldwide.

Thanks

First of all you need a Customs Smart Card allowing you to generally engage into import/export activities.

When it comes to food import into Thailand you have to register with Thai FDA as an importer of food stuff. Various requirements need to be fulfilled also including proper storage space featuring shelves or an elevated floor of not less than 30cms. Processing time abt. 1 week, fee 15,000 Baht. License is valid for three years and needs renewal then.

After being a registered importer of food it will be necessary to register each product to be imported individually. The Thai FDA assigns a 13 digit number to each individual product. Registering a product can be done within one day at the one-stop service center of the Thai FDA being part of the Thai Health Ministry.

This is it in very short words. For detailed information suggest consulting with Thai FDA.

Cheers,

Richard

A Customs Smart Card - what is that, does it mean no more tea money to customs to release goods? How do you get one?

:o

A Customs smart card is merely a license to pay the tea money... :D

If you've got a company and a work permit its trivial to get at the customs department.

A Customs Smart Card - what is that, does it mean no more tea money to customs to release goods? How do you get one?

All relevant information about this subject (certainly except for the tea money issue :o ) can be found on the website of Thailand's Customs Department under the following link

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Cargo...p?menuNme=Cargo

Cheers,

Richard

Well I know of a few things that I'd like to import to Thailand that I know there'd be a hot market for and which doesn't exist - but I'm vary of having to deal with Thai customs. I fear their expectations would eat all profits :o

Well I know of a few things that I'd like to import to Thailand that I know there'd be a hot market for and which doesn't exist - but I'm vary of having to deal with Thai customs. I fear their expectations would eat all profits :o

Yes, i wondered the import Issue too...is it perhaps easier to ship to Port Klang and come through the Malay Border ?

If you do it professionaly you can minimize the problem:

1. Get samples of everything you want to import in individual pieces first.

2. Give the samples to a local Customs Agency and ask them to show those items to the customs officials and receive a clear classification for them (import tax and other fees are per product classfication).

3. Take care of every import license required in advance.

4. Try to make sure the shipment will arrive to the terminal where you received the classifications.

5. Make sure your Purchase Order and your Invoice contain identical information. If you don't have a purchase order it will be easier for them to claim the stated value in the Invoice is too low. Have as many documentation available when your custom agent goes to release the goods.

If you take those steps you will minimize any extra costs.