Firefox Browser And Advertisements

Maestro

When I had Norton Security, the Norton firewall let me select to block advertisements in Internet browsers.

Now, I use Windows Firewall (of XP) and Avast anti-virus and I can’t find a way to block the browser advertisements like before. There is a particularly vicious macromedia flash ad that appears sometimes at the top of http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui and uses about 85% of CPU. Only today I found that I can right-click on it and choose low resolution, but even then it uses 35% of CPU. Strangely enough, in Internet Explorer this CPU grabbing does not occur, which means that Firefox is at fault.

Any suggestions, either how to block ads generally, or how to prevent macromedia flash ads in Firefox from hogging the CPU?

--------------

Maestro

Have you tried installing the Adblock extension from the Firefox website?
Thanks for the suggestion and the link. I am going to install that now.

---------------

Maestro

It works beautifully with other types of ads but regrettably can’t block macromedia flash ads.

Any additional suggestions will be appreciated.

AdBlock is not too smart right out of the box, you need to prime it with a list of known ad sites. Go to this site: http://www.pierceive.com/ and load up the blacklist and whitelist and you'll find all your ads are gone. That said, be sure to whitelist thiavisa.com afterwards. :o

AdBlock is not too smart right out of the box,
Thank you! Working with Adblock some more I found a way to block that flash ad: Ctrl+Shift+A gives me a list of all blockable elements. I look at those of the type “Script” with “flash” as part of the name and block it.

I am going to learn some more about it now on that web site you linked.

--------------

Maestro