Car Park Etiquette.

IMO white cars certainly lack etiquette while under way-or perhaps they just stick out like....

12860059.jpg

smile.png

Man, I've seen some wide sweeping generalizations on this board, but aside from the obliviously racist "we are superior in every way to Thais because they don't do things the way we do (back in the 'home' that I got the hell out of for some reason)" postings, this one has to take the cake for pointless subjective opinions. Are you seriously claiming that people who choose white vehicles are in some way less courteous than those who drive cars of other colours? You must have a hell of a head for numbers.

I was humorously pointing out that white cars are about as noticeable as the dangly bits in the photo (a common phrase among English speakers) & are therefore likely to be remembered, furthermore I did so without reference to race.

Edited by evadgib

The Thai standard of driving on average is poor at best. The inability to park never ceases to astound.

I have watched Thai's in small, by that I mean a Yaris or similar, make several attempts to reverse park and even after that end up at an angle and over over the line.

I often wonder what they would do if they drove my car which is a fairly big BMW. My, wife also Thai can park it first time every time. Totally parallel and between the lines. I did teach her the fine art of parking. Unfortunately most Thai's despite their efforts and a lot make a real effort seem to be incapable of parking within a defined space

Parking properly or maneuvering in a tight space is counter-intuitive and for most people, needs to be taught. Many times I have seen on some of the narrower parking garage ramps, drivers hugging the inner wall and wondering why they can't seem to squeeze through - no concept of an apex.

Those small cars that should be easy to park are having such a hard time is because they are someone's first car - especially after that ridiculous "first car program" that the government recklessly squandered money on as a populist move, and to appease seriously PO'd car makers whose plants were flooded out in 2011.

IMO white cars certainly lack etiquette while under way-or perhaps they just stick out like....

12860059.jpg

smile.png

Man, I've seen some wide sweeping generalizations on this board, but aside from the obliviously racist "we are superior in every way to Thais because they don't do things the way we do (back in the 'home' that I got the hell out of for some reason)" postings, this one has to take the cake for pointless subjective opinions. Are you seriously claiming that people who choose white vehicles are in some way less courteous than those who drive cars of other colours? You must have a hell of a head for numbers.

I was humorously pointing out that white cars are about as noticeable as the dangly bits in the photo (a common phrase among English speakers) & are therefore likely to be remembered, furthermore I did so without reference to race.

Oh yes, that old chestnut. I love how Brits constantly recycle other people's witticisms - maybe something Stephen Fry said on QI or Clarkson said on Top Gear or some other person more witty than themselves said somewhere or other, and reckon it will get a fresh laugh every time. It sometimes does, strange as it seems. (Many Brits also seem to believe that nobody from other countries has ever heard their charming little idioms, even though they've been repeated ad nauseum, and also that Farangs from various countries mix pretty freely in Thailand, so are pretty familiar with each other's dialects.) ...But I digress. If you reread my post carefully, you will see that I did not say anything about you or your remark being racist. I simply said that you made a generalisation, (or pointless subjective opinion if you prefer) about car colours and rivers that was the most extreme I had seen - as long as one discounts the racist generalisations that constantly litter the forums on Thaivisa, which are the most sweeping generalisations of all. Yep, that's what I said.

12860059.jpg

smile.png

Oh yes, that old chestnut. I love how Brits constantly recycle other people's witticisms - maybe something Stephen Fry said on QI or Clarkson said on Top Gear or some other person more witty than themselves said somewhere or other, and reckon it will get a fresh laugh every time. It sometimes does, strange as it seems. (Many Brits also seem to believe that nobody from other countries has ever heard their charming little idioms, even though they've been repeated ad nauseum, and also that Farangs from various countries mix pretty freely in Thailand, so are pretty familiar with each other's dialects.) ...But I digress. If you reread my post carefully, you will see that I did not say anything about you or your remark being racist. I simply said that you made a generalisation, (or pointless subjective opinion if you prefer) about car colours and rivers that was the most extreme I had seen - as long as one discounts the racist generalisations that constantly litter the forums on Thaivisa, which are the most sweeping generalisations of all. Yep, that's what I said.

Having used a shovel followed by a JCB you may like to google "camoflet set" to have any chance of making the hole you have placed yourself in any deeper...

Edited by evadgib

ikea yesterday... handicap parking , car with children parking .... just have to be there a few minutes to see no handicaps comming out of the car, nor sticker, nor children...

we started one down and he drove off, but soon there was already another car not respecting the signs.... why not fine them 5000 baht ?

ikea yesterday... handicap parking , car with children parking .... just have to be there a few minutes to see no handicaps comming out of the car, nor sticker, nor children...

we started one down and he drove off, but soon there was already another car not respecting the signs.... why not fine them 5000 baht ?

I dare say a problem that exists in many countries around the world.

• Like 1

I dare say a problem that exists in many countries around the world.

Not really.... I'm currently on holiday in the UK. Parking at the supermarket was full until I saw the abundant and available disabled parking. Surely there are not that many disabled people in the UK...10% of the Car park was empty... I was however grateful for the parent+child spaces which are wider and allowed access to the rear seats with the door fully open to recover the little fella in his car seat.

Driving etiquette.... Driving in the UK is a general pleasure with regards to courtesy... it's more relaxing at least until I hit the open road and spend more of my concentration watching the speedometer for fear of exceeding the speed limit...(I've previously been fined £60 and received 3 points (max is 12 before loosing my licence) for doing 33mph in a 30 zone).

To generalise: there is a greater proportion of the population in Thailand who drive and park in a self centred manner.... This has little to do with driver education and lots to do with lack of accountability, responsibility and consequence...

Just to apply some fair balance there are a large number of considerate drivers in Thailand, however, the small percentage of inconsiderate drivers ruin it for the whole. Thai's get irritated, annoyed and complain of precisely the same issues on Thai roads that we do on this forum.

• Like 1

That OP made me laugh

Lots of really poor driving to be seen by falangs unsure about the rules... they are also often the cause of accidents. Thai's scorn at the standard of falang driving.

IMO its best if everyone can drive slowly - that will help

Edited by Higgins

Lots of really poor driving to be seen by falangs unsure about the rules... they are also often the cause of accidents. Thai's scorn at the standard of falang driving.

Yeah, I had a few cars behind me go absolutely mental at me last week.

Mind you, I did have the audacity to stop at a red light that they usually all just drive through along Phahonyothin.

As I sat there for 30-40 seconds they must have been punching the steering wheels as their horns were going off so much.

Edited by Som wat
  • Like 2

Look at them al smiling

Saying no problem inssurence

Problem with allot of these road lines is that some of then are impossible to follow

The back of Tesco the signs want us to go to the car wash lane to leave but that is blocked by the car washing company

Big c at the back you can drive all the way round the back. If you have a big truck that cannot fit under the indoor car park but at the end where you could leave the car park without driving indoors is blocked with a no entry but you might have not choice but to ignore it or smash your truck up

The car park in the whine connection area the spaces for lines are the wrong way round

It is no wonder Thais are confused and ignore road lines as most of them can lead one into trouble

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app