Fedex Package stuck in BKK Customs

deepsea149

I have a package (fishing/camping items) from fedex stuck in customs in Bangkok. I live in Chiang Mai. The Customs personnel want to see my passport (not a copy) and are asking for an itemized list of the items.

Does anyone have experience in dealing with this type of issue? Is there an 'easy' way to get my package out of BKK and sent to me in Chiang Mai?

Yes, it's tragic. FedEx/UPS/DHL is definitely NOT the way to ship stuff like this. It should have been mailed, would have sailed right thru customs.

First off, point out that it is the law that you must carry your passport with you at all times and you won't part with it. You should be able to scan and email it. That's what I've done before with DHL and UPS.

As for the itemized list, if it's new stuff, didn't you have an itemized list when you ordered the stuff? If it's random used stuff that was put into the box, then it really should have been mailed.

One option would be to refuse the shipment and have it sent back. I did this at one point when I was getting messed with on a DHL shipment. But, they won't redirect a shipment -- they'll only send it to the address of origin.

The items are birthday gifts that were sent in one box. The box/package was shipped through the US Postal service, but my family sent it via 'Global Express Guaranteed'. Fedex is used by the US Postal service as a partner for international shipping when using the 'global express guaranteed' method.

The itemised list sent initially with the package was actually more of a general list put together by my brother. However, I have put together an accurate itemised list, along with prices of each item, and sent it to customs via email.

This is a mess.....

This happened to me once, I told them via email to discard the package and they did.

Needless to say I will never use FedEx for incoming packages again. This is no major problem, the regular post office is the most reliable route and I was only testing FedEx at the time, they failed big on my initial test.

• Like 1

The (2) quickest ways are take your passport all the shipping details etc to a Lawyer have then notorised will cost you about 2 thousand baht it's as good as the real thing email to customs in BKK and that should fix your problem ....I did it just recently company wanted passport in person had everything notorised in Thai and English problem solved,

Hope this helps. can send you name of lawyer if you like ..message me

Does this go for all manner of goods shipped to Thailand?

I want to ship blue jeans and tee shirts, big business in Thailand, with American logo's, anything American is in high demand with the younger crowd.

Oh LOL.... Don't!!

My company sent me some shirts with thier logo on.. I got stung for 30% duty on the declared value..

Clothes is not something you want to send here!

Edited by Satcommlee

Does this go for all manner of goods shipped to Thailand?

I want to ship blue jeans and tee shirts, big business in Thailand, with American logo's, anything American is in high demand with the younger crowd.

Oh LOL.... Don't!!

My company sent me some shirts with thier logo on.. I got stung for 30% duty on the declared value..

Clothes is not something you want to send here!

thought as much,

in that case, it is limited to aircraft luggage, and with a first class ticket, you can bring 3 bags, 70 lbs each.

thats a lot of clothes, but it doesnt last long in a successful sales environment,

its no wonder there are so many vendors with product that fell off trucks all over thailand and laos

the regular post office is the most reliable route

Just when you thought you had heard just about everything ...

Its true though. Cheapest and most reliable, but takes a while. 2 to 3 weeks from US or EU.

Whenever I could receive (car)parts by post, I did. Never a hassle. If there was tax, it was the correct one. Even when I got a full spring and coil kit from Germany.

Bad and good experiences with DHL.