PM misses Prem meeting

Lite Beer

POLITICS
PM misses Prem meeting
Panya Thiosangwan,
Jeerapong Prasertpolkrung
The Nation

30231405-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Top brass pay their respects to Privy Council chief for Songkran without Yingluck attending this year

Caretaker Prime Minister and Defence Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was absent yesterday from a gathering to pay their respects to Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda, leaving only commanders of the Armed Forces with him.

Supreme Commander General Tanasak Patimapragorn led Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha, Air Force Commander Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong, Navy Commander Admiral Narong Pipatanasai and National Police Chief Adul Saengsingkaew to pay their respects to Prem as per the New Year tradition at Songkran.

Deputy Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha was also present at the event, as president of the National Olympic Committee of Thailand.

Prem thanked the commanders for their gestures although the former commander retired from the Army more than three decades ago.

"It is good to see all three of the Armed Forces' commanders and police chief come to me every year. This shows we all have friendship and I have the Armed Forces as good friends," he said. "I feel comfortable to see the unity among us.

"If we unite, the country will be secure. The Armed Forces would have power over those who have bad plans to hurt our nation," Prem said.

"As His Majesty the King said many times, we have to perform our duty with honour. We also have to look at our people to have them perform their duties honestly. "General Tanasak plus the military and police commanders have many hard tasks to achieve these days. If we unite and do our jobs and have our men to do their jobs as well, people can rely on us, so that people will love, respect and trust the military and police," Prem said.

Meeting with the top adviser to His Majesty the King is interpreted as a political signal to show that General Prem retains high influence over the Armed Forces. Prem's support for any groups would be significant for political developments in the Kingdom.

Good ties

At an Army event on Thursday, Prem said he would not be able to mediate negotiations between Yingluck and Suthep Thaugsuban, leader of the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee. Prem said the two sides would not listen to him.

Usually the defence minister leads the commanders to pay respect to Prem to show that the government has good ties to him. Yingluck currently holds the Defence portfolio.

She did not respond when she was asked on Thursday if she would lead commanders to see Prem at Songkran. The caretaker prime minister faces many political and legal challenges because of the prolonged anti-government protests concentrated in Bangkok and will spend her time over the holiday break quietly in Chiang Mai, her home province. She may not appear to celebrate the festival in public as usual this year, a source said.

Defence Ministry permanent secretary Nipat Thonglek did not attend the commanders' gathering at Prem's residence yesterday.

A military source said Supreme Commander Tanasak had asked the Defence Ministry if Yingluck would lead the commanders to see Prem, but she made no clear instruction this year. Tanasak later decided to lead the commanders to see Prem on his own, the source said.

Meeting with Prem requires a formal letter for an appointment in advance, of at least three days up to a week, the source said.

However, the Privy Council chief did not say anything about the absence of the prime minister, according to the source close to the meeting yesterday, who suggested the gathering had no political agenda.

In 2012, Yingluck visited Prem on the occasion of Songkran. Last year Prem did not open his home for such greetings.

During the New Year, Yingluck led the military top brass to greet Prem for that occasion. Earlier, in August, Yingluck greeted Prem on his 94th birthday.

Separately, at the Royal Thai Army headquarters, Prayuth said he hoped the political situation would get better after the traditional Songkran events, which let people make merit and pay respect to their seniors. But he said all sides of society should join together to help restore peace and order for the country.

Nevertheless, he vowed not to allow violence, which some expect amid rising political tension after Songkran.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-12

• Like 2

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

One wonders how she can blatantly alienate herself in such a way.

Okay, she doesn't particularly want to meet with Prem, but it's a gesture that would have shown she still holds on to the reins, whereas her refusal to attend sends out a signal that she has already capitulated.

The "prime minister" is traditionally also supposed to express some unity by coming out to meet the public during Songkran. One wonders why she is going to hide away in Chiang Mai instead; perhaps the writing is on the wall and she is going to cross over the border before taking her flight out to Dubai.

One can only hope...!!

It could be that she is planning to slip out. It would be a shame if so. Thailand is sinking deeper and deeper in to the abyss.

"It is good to see all three of the Armed Forces' commanders and police chief come to me every year. This shows we all have friendship and I have the Armed Forces as good friends,"

Lord, what away to run a business!

• Like 2

Perhaps she feels her caretaker-PM status has now time-elapsed, or is dubious, so that it would have been inappropriate ?

Let's hope that it was merely a careless oversight, and not a deliberate unreconciliatory snub, on her brother's orders.

Annother PAD-Dem take on things, in part meant to denigrate the Prime Minister - a non-PAD-DEM....And I see it worked.

The very first line of the very first post/comment as follows:

>>>>>>One wonders how she can blatantly alienate herself in such a way.

>>>>>The Armed Forces would have power over those who have bad plans to hurt our nation," Prem said.

I wonder who he might be referring to?...Could it be Suthep and his people trying to eradicate Democracy and replace it with a Civilian dictatorship?.........What do you think?.......

>>>>>>The caretaker prime minister faces many political and legal challenges because of the prolonged anti-government protests concentrated in Bangkok

Time for corrections...again....Tthey are not prolonged anti-govt. protests....They are prolonged coup-advocacy activities...nothing to do with protesting or anti-govt.

It is not the Prime Minister who is facing "many political and legal challenges"......It is the electoral majority and the very essence of Democracy, which is facing these challenges.

>>>>>> Prayuth said he hoped the political situation would get better after the traditional Songkran events,

Hoping that everyone will commit to Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy?....Is that what he is hoping for?...What do you think?

The view of UDD/RS's pro-democracy elements are that Prem was a significant figure behind the 2006 coup....Agree or not, that is what they think. So aggrandizing Prem not only falls on deaf ears, it in fact annoys them. It is their view that the decade-long political crisis owes much to Prem's interference and machinations:

Just the other side of the political divide folks.

FB, now I know why you have to give everything your own spin. You use so much typex on your screen for all the corrections, that you can not read the original artical anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

So , she didn't bother to turn up....... whats new whistling.gif

Why would you expect someone to socialize with people who are opposed to her as PM?

Her problem at the moment is that not only does she isolate herself in the north but talks only to people of a certain political persuasion.

How will she ever learn?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So , she didn't bother to turn up....... whats new whistling.gif

Why would you expect someone to socialize with people who are opposed to her as PM?

Her problem at the moment is that not only does she isolate herself in the north but talks only to people of a certain political persuasion.

How will she ever learn?

The Prem event was not an educational seminar. It was a staged PR event to show who controls what in Thailand.

In Thailand, it's all about the show and sending signals of who is where in the social hierarchy.

THe PM no longer wishes to play the game of the military and its champion who do not believe that the military should ever be accountable to the people.That sir is the reality.

What has the PTP government ever controlled?

Its a free for all, a bun fight, a chimpanzees' tea party, a gong show and a debacle all wrapped up in a banana leaf

Perhaps the Care Taker Prime Minister has the same opinions as me , the world has moved on from old worn out hacks from the Junta era, although I think the PTP has read Prems hand book on how to run a country 1972 style, their behaviour seems to suggest this, Happy SongKran CTPM Yingluck.

If she attended then all the yellow shirt/Suthep supporters would be complaining that she has the military in her pocket and why wasn't she at the NAAC instead of being in the limelight.

How Pathetic, this was a non political gesture towards Prem nothing to do with red or yellow shirt politics. Can't you even work that out from reading OP?

... in defence of the Minister of Defence, attending the Song Kran meeting with the President of the Privy Council is OPTIONAL ......

..... as are the employment of good manners, respect and sound judgement.

So is respect for a democratically elected government.

Would you have expected the elected leader of Chile to go and greet Pinochet?

Would you have expected the leaders of the Aregentine civilian government to go and embrace the former military rulers of Argentinia?

You and I both know that Yingluck was not Democratically elected. She got the minority of the votes. In a Democracy you need the majority of the votes. The fact is if it hadn't been for the fact that a lot of the voters didn't want her and correctly guessed that they would get Thaksin she would have got a lot less votes.

So , she didn't bother to turn up....... whats new whistling.gif.pagespeed.ce.FVjgnKnWS1.pn alt=whistling.gif width=19 height=18>

It was not a social call it was a call out of respect. Some thing you wouldn't understand.