Low cost method to move household goods to Thailand via U-Haul

siamike

For those folks planning to move to Thailand and looking for a cheap way to move your household goods, and everything you want to take will fit into a 5' x 8' x 8' box, you may want to look into using U-Haul. Yes, U-Haul now provides international shipping.

My Thai wife and I recently moved to Thailand from San Francisco, USA. We didn't want to take everything in our house, but I did want to move most of my tools, most of our kitchen (dishes, pots & pans) and lots of clothing. For us the U-Box was the perfect size, and we couldn't beat the price...just under $3000 for door to port. U-Haul handels everything on-line,...sending a quote and all the required forms via email. U-Haul droped their U-Box at our door at the time we requested and came back to pick it up after we loaded it ourselves.

U-Haul will also ship your box door to door (for an increased fee of course), but in our case we already had friends in the freight recieving buisness here in Thailand, so we opted for the door to port service.

So, if you dont mind doing a bit of packing yourself, give U-Haull a look.

Shipping out from the US is no problem no matter which method you use

It is getting those house hold goods into Thailand that is the problem for most people. You are lucky that " we already had friends in the freight recieving buisness here in Thailand ". Just how many other people have that ability ?

If this has already been accomplished how did it go getting your U-haul box out of customs ?

• Like 1

I have no idea what Thai customs charged me, if anything at all. My U-Box was delivered to my doorstep here in Thailand and by all appearances, was not opened by either US nor Thai customs, it still had the same pad lock on the door that I had placed there when it was picked up from my house in California. Other than typing up the itemized contents list, which is eventualy submitted to Thai customs, I had no contact with Thai customs,...the receiving company took care of everything.

Cosmo88: It's my understanding that U-Haul now has officess in many countries around the world, so I intentionaly ommitted a referance to country of origin in the title.

I started this thread with the hope that it might help someone in the future, who like me, searched this site for "U-Haul" and "U-Box" and found nothing. I suspect that I'm the first person to use this service.

you call $3000 cheap we moved 3cubic mtrs.from the uk.total cost shipping 240gbp,agent at bkk.handling, plus tea money,plus delivery 240kilometers away 18,000bht.=370gbp.thats a total of 710gbp.and you paid 1,875gbp.talk about double priceing.

and we thought we got ripped off.

Post # 1

U-Haul will also ship your box door to door (for an increased fee of course), but in our case we already had friends in the freight recieving buisness here in Thailand, so we opted for the door to port service.

Post # 6

My U-Box was delivered to my doorstep here in Thailand

I wonder how much of the $3,000 was freight and how much was duty once it got to Thailand but the OP doesn't seem to know whether he got door to port service or door to door service so I doubt if we will even know if this is a viable way to get your house hold goods shipped here

Langsuan Man: As I stated in the original post, U-Haul shipped my box Door-to-port, though they will ship door-to-door if you want them to (for more money, of course). Since I was lucky enough to have a friend in the freight recieving buisness here in Thailand, I did not use U-Haul's door-to-door option but instead used my contacts here in Thailand to take care of all the import paperwork and to deliver my box to my door.

So you don't know how much of the $3,000 was freight and how much was for Thai Customs. Some have reported not paying customs even using a regular shipper, since like Customs duty for mail parcels, some are lucky, some like me, are not

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Langsuan Man: None of the fee charged by U-Haul (the exact amount was $2800) went towards Thai customs; their fee was all for frieght. All the customs fees, if there were any, were handled by the Thai freight recieving company.