What do Thais think about when they wai, pray, kneel, or worship.

infinity11

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya all do know that the Buddha is not a god? Thais don't think the Buddha was a god. So why would Thais pray? They don't believe in a god?

You state that "Thais don't think the Buddha was a god." Nothing could be further from the truth. To the vast majority of Thais, Buddha is the supreme god of the vast pantheon of gods, goddesses, and spirits they worship. Images of Hindu gods (especially Ganesh) are everywhere. On Hindu holy days the Hindu temples in Bangkok are overflowing with Thai "Buddhists." Wherever there is incense, candles, and flowers being offered they most certainly are fervently praying--not for assistance in cultivating wisdom or generosity, or any other virtue--but for "luck," "money," or protection against retribution for evil done.

I have seen Thais groveling before statues of gods, rulers ancient and modern, and even "The Father of Modern Thai Medicine." If a statue can be made of it, there are people here who will worship it.

China has produced some sublime religious thought, and also the polar opposite. The gutter belief is

as follows:

"Gods very powerful! But fortunately for us, not very smart! So we make tricky, only pretend to be good! We be very crafty, so they not know! Heh heh heh."

It is this latter philosophy which predominates here, with the sublime varitey being virtually non-existent.

Buddha did not start a religion. There are precious few Thais who have anything beyond foggy notions of what Buddha actually taught, and fewer still who are exerting themselves to actualize the liberation he

taught people how to achieve.

Buddha described fortune telling, astrology, amulets, and the rest as "low arts," which a wise person would have no use for. Seperately, he mentioned attachment to rites and rituals as being obstacles to

liberation. Some might notice that all of these things which he condemned are distinguishing characteristics of Thai "Buddhism."

When I first got to Thailand and hung around with low class bar girls I would have agreed with you. Now after being here a while and associating with a different crowd. Maha Nikaya and Dhammayuttika Nikaya are the two major monastic orders in Thailand that have forest traditions. I think my original statement is accurate.

I think your vast majority and my vast majority are different vast majorities.

I would put your vast majority in the class of animists even though they go to the Wat and call themselves Buddhists.

• Like 1

i think they are nuts, but i dont limit it to Thais i can cover all religions with the same disgust.

Ah, yes. People who ascribe to something or someone greater than themselves, I.e. a God, can find humility, sensitivity and respect for others. Atheists, agnostics, the wanderers and self-god ideologues just seem to have to be consistently the first to be hypocritical demonstrating diminished character and a constrained education. Hawking admits to being errant and Einstein had to accept the concept of an eternal creator. Why is it so hard to be nice, sir? What might the Buddha say? Maybe, oh well.

I could not agree more, The humility they display as they murder each other in the name of their god is inspiring, their sensitivity is awe inspiring, and their respect toward women admirable.

• Like 1

Ah, yes. People who ascribe to something or someone greater than themselves, I.e. a God, can find humility, sensitivity and respect for others. Atheists, agnostics, the wanderers and self-god ideologues just seem to have to be consistently the first to be hypocritical demonstrating diminished character and a constrained education. Hawking admits to being errant and Einstein had to accept the concept of an eternal creator. Why is it so hard to be nice, sir? What might the Buddha say? Maybe, oh well.

I could not agree more, The humility they display as they murder each other in the name of their god is inspiring, their sensitivity is awe inspiring, and their respect toward women admirable.

Respect towards women yup. I guess that's why Thailand leads the world with its number of female CEOs.

Grant Thornton's International Business Report (IBR).

Google...it...please.

It is a Buddhist thing...so if it really interests you, then take a course or look up some websites dealing with their culture/religion.

The way you put the question makes one think you are insensitive.

Edited by slipperylobster

Ya all do know that the Buddha is not a god? Thais don't think the Buddha was a god. So why would Thais pray? They don't believe in a god?

You state that "Thais don't think the Buddha was a god." Nothing could be further from the truth. To the vast majority of Thais, Buddha is the supreme god of the vast pantheon of gods, goddesses, and spirits they worship. Images of Hindu gods (especially Ganesh) are everywhere. On Hindu holy days the Hindu temples in Bangkok are overflowing with Thai "Buddhists." Wherever there is incense, candles, and flowers being offered they most certainly are fervently praying--not for assistance in cultivating wisdom or generosity, or any other virtue--but for "luck," "money," or protection against retribution for evil done.

I have seen Thais groveling before statues of gods, rulers ancient and modern, and even "The Father of Modern Thai Medicine." If a statue can be made of it, there are people here who will worship it.

China has produced some sublime religious thought, and also the polar opposite. The gutter belief is

as follows:

"Gods very powerful! But fortunately for us, not very smart! So we make tricky, only pretend to be good! We be very crafty, so they not know! Heh heh heh."

It is this latter philosophy which predominates here, with the sublime varitey being virtually non-existent.

Buddha did not start a religion. There are precious few Thais who have anything beyond foggy notions of what Buddha actually taught, and fewer still who are exerting themselves to actualize the liberation he

taught people how to achieve.

Buddha described fortune telling, astrology, amulets, and the rest as "low arts," which a wise person would have no use for. Seperately, he mentioned attachment to rites and rituals as being obstacles to

liberation. Some might notice that all of these things which he condemned are distinguishing characteristics of Thai "Buddhism."

When I first got to Thailand and hung around with low class bar girls I would have agreed with you. Now after being here a while and associating with a different crowd. Maha Nikaya and Dhammayuttika Nikaya are the two major monastic orders in Thailand that have forest traditions. I think my original statement is accurate.

I think your vast majority and my vast majority are different vast majorities.

I would put your vast majority in the class of animists even though they go to the Wat and call themselves Buddhists.

Your assumption about my vast majority is unwarranted, as your vast majority is included within my vast

majority.

I have an enduring appreciation for the life and work of Buddhadassa bhikku, and Ajahn Cha as well.

Aside from them, Thailand has contributed virtually nothing to Buddhist thought, or knowledge in general.

A well-regarded foreign monk who had trained in Thailand, was asked "Should I learn Thai to study dhamma?" His reply was "Better to learn Burmese or Sinhala instead." Those two very poor, very backward countries have produced vast amounts of Buddhist literature, going back many decades.

In the West I encountered serious Buddhist books, published in Burma, and donated for FREE distribution. I have never seen anything like that from Thailand

Thailand is a country where there is a lot of talk about how good such practices as meditation are,

but few, even among monks, actually make even the slightest effort. "Meditation very boring! I CHANTING

monk!" An elderly retired teacher stated that "These days not even monks obey the Five Precepts."

And by the way, if you were to do the research, you would find that the "Thai forest monk tradition,"

like most other "Thai" Buddhist practices, originated in Burma. All sattipathana (mindfulness) practice

in Thailand is correctly designated as "the Burmese sattipathana method."

I have talked to Thai civilian professionals, high ranking military and police officers, and educated working people as well. What those people have in common with the "lowly' bar girl is an equally superficial understanding of Buddha's teaching, a total lack of commitment to any meaningful practice, a love of "sanook," and a gnawing, burning, aching desire for more and more shiny stuff.

In contrast to that vast herd I have also met a handful of sober, gentle, and honest country people. People with little or nor education, poor clothing. One old fellow has never owned a motorcycle in his

entire life. I feel immense affection and respect for these people, because they are the living embodiment

of Buddha's teaching.That, in spite of the lousy hand that life has dealt them. More than any monk I have met, and certainly more than the vain, self-important hi-sos, I feel profound admiration for these humble

people.They are worthy of emulation.

Why don't you ask them rather than asking people who don't know?

This is so obvious yet brilliant. Perhaps the OP finds the question too personal. It is, but I suspect anyone would generally tell you the nature of their prayer; I would share should I be asked. Most people pray relative to their development, intellectually, culturally, and emotionally. I think there are some really good posts here (particularly the other 10%- excellent!). Whomever you ask the question to, it says a lot about you that you would ponder such a thing. Good for you.

Some would pray for peace, for love, for the benefit of parents, health, the country, and some for deep and penetrating concepts. However, I agree that most are similar to religions everywhere and topically pray for benefits in life that require no reciprocity in the performance of their living; free stuff (from a cosmic perspective).

(10%... I just loved that one)

Why don't you ask them rather than asking people who don't know?

This is so obvious yet brilliant. Perhaps the OP finds the question too personal. It is, but I suspect anyone would generally tell you the nature of their prayer; I would share should I be asked. Most people pray relative to their development, intellectually, culturally, and emotionally. I think there are some really good posts here (particularly the other 10%- excellent!). Whomever you ask the question to, it says a lot about you that you would ponder such a thing. Good for you.

Some would pray for peace, for love, for the benefit of parents, health, the country, and some for deep and penetrating concepts. However, I agree that most are similar to religions everywhere and topically pray for benefits in life that require no reciprocity in the performance of their living; free stuff (from a cosmic perspective).

(10%... I just loved that one)

relief from their thai prison

when people have no real hope, they pray

• Like 1

Google...it...please.

It is a Buddhist thing...so if it really interests you, then take a course or look up some websites dealing with their culture/religion.

The way you put the question makes one think you are insensitive.

Gosh, just a different perspective; I thought the question was concise and clear. What do... Thai people think about... when they pray?

Just a different point of view.

Scarpolo---Great point about lack of hope.

Edited by arjunadawn

ok...well then if you were genuinely interested....here is a list of things they might be thinking about.

1. Next set of Lotto Numbers to bet on

2. About the farang who promised to come and pay 5 million in Sin Sot

3. Papaya Salad

4. When the next creditor is going to come around.

5. A new pair of Shoes

6. How many scoops of rice are left in the bag at home

7. An upcoming holiday

8. A day off from work

9. Songkran outfits for next year

10. Lao Khao