39 killed on roads on day one of Songkran holidays

Lite Beer

39 killed on roads on day one of Songkran holidays
The Sunday Nation

30231431-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- Number of accidents and injured people well above figures from first day last year; drunk driving the major cause

Some 39 people were killed and 402 others injured in road accidents nationwide on Friday, the first day of the Songkran holiday period from April 11-17, according to the Road Safety Centre. Drunken driving was the major cause at 31 per cent, followed by speeding at 22 per cent.

Transport Ministry deputy permanent secretary Teeraphong Rodprasert said that the 379 crashes on the first day and 402 injuries were 53 and 60 more, respectively, than the first day of last year's Songkran, while the number of deaths on Friday was the same as last year.

Chiang Rai reported the highest number of accidents at 17 and also the most number of deaths at four, while Phrae reported the most injuries at 19, he said. Chachoengsao, Chaiyaphum, Nakhon Nayok, Pathum Thani, Mae Hong Son, Rayong, Sukhothai, Nong Khai and Bangkok did not report any accidents on Friday, he added.

Most accidents - 81 per cent - involved motorcycles, followed by pickup trucks at 8.5 per cent, Teeraphong said. About 62 per cent accidents happened on a straight section of the highway while most accidents occurred between 4pm and 8pm and over half (53 per cent) of the people killed or wounded in road accidents were in the working age group (20-49 years old), he said.

The 2,268 checkpoints nationwide, manned by 64,985 officials, arrested 75,630 traffic law breakers, including 23,265, who failed to present a driver's licence and 21,601, who did not wear a helmet while riding motorcycles, Teeraphong said.

In a separate event, Royal Thai Army deputy spokesperson Colonel Sirichan Nga-Thong said 237 Army checkpoints on highways and at tourist attractions would accommodate travellers between April 11-17, while Army hospitals would prepare supplies and manpower to take care of those injured. The Army would also strictly scan for drug or smuggling of illegal items along the borders, she added.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) secretary-general Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen inspected three houses in Bangkok's Lat Phrao area that were placed under the police's project to guard residential houses during Songkran. He said 2,003 homes nationwide were placed under police guardianship during April 8-17. In Bangkok, where 731 homes are in this project, Chokchai had the highest number of participant homes at 45, followed by Hua Mark (25) and Lat Phrao and Bang Na (22 homes each). Among other provinces, Samut Prakan saw the most participation at 120 homes, followed by Nonthaburi 73 homes and Pathum Thani 32 homes, he added.

A nine-vehicle pileup occurred at 5.40am yesterday on Asia Highway in Ang Thong's Muang district but no one was injured. It was reported that a pickup truck, heading northwards, suddenly slammed the brakes leading to a pileup of eight tailing vehicles. The pickup truck fled the scene.

Meanwhile, a 10-wheel truck carrying workers from Myanmar, who were returning to their hometown for Songkran celebrations, yesterday lost control while going downhill and plunged into a ravine in Myawaddy province, about 63 kilometres from the border to Tak's Mae Sot district. Six workers were killed while 39 others were injured. The truck driver jumped out of the vehicle and fled. It was reported that 10,000 Myanmar workers a day returned from Thailand to visit their hometown for Songkran.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-13

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt when the ' Dangerous Days ' of Songkran are over and the very sad final death and casualty toll is announced there will be some creative accounting to try and reduce it accompanied by the usual fine words and hand wringing AND THEN it will all be forgotten about until next year.

• Like 2

The number of deaths has not risen

Certainly some of then injured will likely die. The standard of driving in Thailand is moronic, and sadly the next few days will be far worse now that the water starts getting thrown.

Not sure what the record number of deaths is over this period, but I have a sneaking suspicion this going to be a bad year.

• Like 1

I am not sure of my facts here so don't start flaming. I was told that the number of road deaths recorded here are those who died ON the roads. Road accident victims who subsequently die of their injuries in hospital are not recorded. If I was living in any other country I would not believe this. But TIT so it is possible

• Like 2

The number of deaths has not risen

These have to be TAT numbers, as other days of the year the death figures are higher.

just add, it never gives the corrected figure2 weeks later as people in vast numbers die later at hospitals. The number recorded are only who died AT THE SCENE--and I have to dispute the Songkran figures, as I do for the January New Year figures.

I mentioned TAT because their figures always show far higher numbers--where as Holiday road deaths show under........I wonder why. would it be the image that HAS to be maintained.????

Once again it is being shown that Songkran is the safest time to be on Thai roads.

According to the WHO in 2010 (latest figures I could quickly find) 26,312 were killed on Thai roads, that is 72 per day.

UK stopped the league table of deaths over bank holidays after it was repeatedly shown that the numbers were lower over the so called 'dangerous' days than on a normal day.

Apart from which it is just macabre.

That is a remarkably good point

I am not sure of my facts here so don't start flaming. I was told that the number of road deaths recorded here are those who died ON the roads. Road accident victims who subsequently die of their injuries in hospital are not recorded. If I was living in any other country I would not believe this. But TIT so it is possible

Sorry-not intended to copy your post. my post was posted after you but I didn't see it.

But it shows you are on the ball, these figures I call propaganda --bad way to show it. I have posted this season after season it is the same every year.

Clampdowns--road blocks B/S many road blocks can add frustration to a journey when people are wanting to get home, although most seem frustrated anyway.

Road blocks and checks are for pocket money as the yearly record gets more bad.

Main road Intersections every few miles-traffic lights- then a road block just after the lights---crazy---we all have noticed.

Often wonder if Pickups had airbags there would be less deaths ?

even 800k pickup do not come with airbags, and on most ABS is an option....... how many Thais buy top of the range and price pickups with ABS and Airbags ?

So 2,268 checkpoints nationwide, manned by 64,985 officials, arrested 75,630 traffic law breakers, including 23,265, who failed to present a driver's licence and 21,601, who did not wear a helmet while riding motorcycles and no drunk driving arrest!

It is a known fact that the 44866 arrests is for tea money.

• Like 1

According to the article Chiang Rai had the highest number of deaths with 4. So I guess the 9 Cambodian's that died close to Chanthaburi on Friday don't count??

The daily figure given is meaningless because of under reporting. Previously I have seen my own province report zero deaths when I know for a fact two drunks died in a motorcycle accident.

Here in the village only yesterday a young guy wiped out on his bike and broke his leg.

No police, no ambulance. He was taken to hospital in the family pickup. I seriously doubt he appears in any stats.

Often wonder if Pickups had airbags there would be less deaths ?

even 800k pickup do not come with airbags, and on most ABS is an option....... how many Thais buy top of the range and price pickups with ABS and Airbags ?

I used to work as an Automotive Launch Manager, in China. I questioned the manufacturer's exports to Thailand, concerned that none were fitted with the above mentioned.

Marketing Dept. came back with Thais do not want airbags nor ABS, as an added cost. Our surveys revealed that if in an accident 'mai pen rai' (in not so many words)......

I never buy a car without a passenger airbag nor ABS. It's a shame Thai logic is so backward when it comes to safety concerning vehicles. :(

• Like 1

So 2,268 checkpoints nationwide, manned by 64,985 officials, arrested 75,630 traffic law breakers, including 23,265, who failed to present a driver's licence and 21,601, who did not wear a helmet while riding motorcycles and no drunk driving arrest!

It is a known fact that the 44866 arrests is for tea money.

I was not present at all 44,866 arrests, so I cannot claim the same fact. I did not talk to all 44,866 arrestees, so,I cannot claim the same fact. I have no crystal ball that saw what happened in the case of all 44,866 arrests, so I cannot claim the same fact.

I have no idea of any facts concerning this or any other situation where I was not present. I suppose i might quess at, assume about, read about or just take a wild quess and claim something is factual. In the end, it's just my opinion. Fact? Probably not.

Edited by Benmart