songkran observations

choochoo

I managed to avoid it entirely the past two days, and didn't stay home either. Not a drop. I live on Sukhumvit Soi 24, and it was easy to make the 500 meters or so to Emporium avoiding all mayhem, then from there get on the Skytrain. I guess my point is there's no need to barricade yourself indoors completely. Worst case you can always take a taxi and from there to the nearest Skytrain station.

I managed to avoid it entirely the past two days, and didn't stay home either. Not a drop. I live on Sukhumvit Soi 24, and it was easy to make the 500 meters or so to Emporium avoiding all mayhem, then from there get on the Skytrain. I guess my point is there's no need to barricade yourself indoors completely. Worst case you can always take a taxi and from there to the nearest Skytrain station.

This will probably come as a shock but most of Thailand is not serviced by Taxis or Skytrains.

• Like 1

This will probably come as a shock but most of Thailand is not serviced by Taxis or Skytrains.

Nor taxis ... crying.gif

I always the Songskran until a Farang spoil the whole fun. Some people think it is a war zone. Today I was filling some water in Soi 7 Pattaya and a Farang was throwing water directly on the face and eyes with so much anger that I taught he is going to kill me with water. He was doing the same with everyone trying to take some water. Probably he paid for the water and was pissed why someone else take it. We all kept on buying water and ice and everyone share no problem. Even seen a Thai lady told him do not throw water on the face and eyes. But he kept on doing it. When are we going to learn that Songskran is fun not a war zone.

If you live out in the boondocks by choice, you're already a hardier creature than me anyway, so what's a bit of water. :)

I went out with my martial arts teacher to observe his special way of playing Songkran:

If a drunk falang blasts him he snatches the bazooka/soaker, folds it over his knee, and throws in onto a roof or into the road.

The look on the falang face is priceless.

VERY FUN.

If the drunk falang gets belligerent, even funner!

Edited by papa al
  • Like 1

Yes, I am truly shocked to learn this.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I went out with my martial arts teacher to observe his special way of playing Songkran:

If a drunk falang blasts him he snatches the bazooka/soaker, folds it over his knee, and throws in onto a roof or into the road.

VERY FUN.

Its not only farangs but indians and pakis. Who wants to be waTerEd by paki indians..............................lol.

• Like 1

VERY FUN.

SO,,, your teachers idea of, "fun",, is using his skills to START fights,,, Wow,, must be a really, "special" guy,,, until he pulls something similar on someone with a gun,,, OR someone that's more skilled than he is.. But of course he can always, "Kung Foo" them JUST like in the movies,, it ALWAYS works.... lemme guess,, he's one of those that walks around in his Kung Foo, jammies all the time,, the mall, movies, dinner,,, etc,, jeeez...

Edited by Adeeos

No... you claim it's more, "fun",, (funner actually).. if someone takes offense to his destroying their property... thats not self defense, that's putting himself in a situation, to antagonize someone, provoke them into a confrontation,,, to show of his, "skills",, if he doesn't want sprayed,, DON'T go where they're spraying people,, EASY,,

Edited by Adeeos

@ papa al,,, your friend is total <deleted>,,, and is out LOOKING for a fight,,,, and you enjoy it,,, this is, NOT, self defense,, and I only wish I was there, when he pulls that $hit with the wrong guy,,, and gets his clock cleaned,,, bottle to the back of his head,, etc,,,,

Hmmm, we evidently live in a tiny corner of Thailand which is stuck in some sort of space-time warp.

Today was 'official' celebration day, loud music from the Wat (OK, they have a decent sound system) started at 12.00, dancing girls and water throwing until 4PM when it was monk-soaking (with a free towel for the elders, apparently I'm an elder) followed by a bit more water throwing, no visible alcohol (apart from the odd Leo hidden in a cup). After the Wat stuff finished we had the local lads with their pick-up based disco, and more roadside water squirting.

BUT

At 6PM dead everything stopped, Puyai Baan came on the speakers at 6.05 thanking everyone for a great day and now it's time to go home, he could just as well stayed in bed, now at 6.30PM it's like any other evening, deadly quiet, and raining.

Over the past three days there have been no fights, no drunken (ok a bit) revelry, no knives, no guns, just good wholesome (very wet), family fun.

As an aside, the abbot was moaning (as he does every year) that the temple income has been decimated since the sale of alcohol in places of worship was banned. The cut from the beer sellers previously funded a lot of temple activities (including the school), now they actually have to raise funds rather than the funds coming to them.

• Like 2

Here in the village 2 types of Songkran.

Yesterday afternoon people sit and youngsters pour water in their hands. After that a nice BBQ and yes some drinking.

Today Songkran for the youngsters with lots of water and loud music. At 18:00 there was hamburgers and French fried for all and only soft drinks.

I think our village head did do a good job and both groups did have their Songkran.

Now they cleaning the streets so that tomorrow all will be normal and clean again.

This year just back from work and to tired to go and to do a 12 hour+ drive to the village, so one day of play in BKK and two days of hiding out at home.

Last year off to the village in Isaan again. One big day of water revelry and associated noise and a couple of small fights (alcohol plus young tends that way). Interestingly the village elders advice to me was enjoy yourself, but duck out if trouble erupts. As the BIL is the PYB I tend to listen to him, the theory is it is going to happen, just do no get in the way or amplify it. The following day sore heads and all back out to the fields and no ongoing aggression from the previous day. No guns or knives or bad injuries, just a bit of steam let off and back to normal.

I am now looking to figure out where that corner of Thailand Crossy lives in is. Inner Bangkok is just to many tourists who think part of the fun is to direct a high pressure jet of (probably) contaminated water into any exposed orifice, yes I have an ear infection courtesy of some numbnuts tourist doing exactly that. Anyway the madness is nearly over for another year.

Cheers

No... you claim it's more, "fun",, (funner actually).. if someone takes offense to his destroying their property... thats not self defense, that's putting himself in a situation, to antagonize someone, provoke them into a confrontation,,, to show of his, "skills",, if he doesn't want sprayed,, DON'T go where they're spraying people,, EASY,,

Blasting a stranger in the face with a water bazooka is over-the-line in any circumstance...certainly not part of the Songkran tradition.

Having the weapon confiscated is a mild response.

If the hooligan then chooses violent escalation, it is at his own risk.

I was an asthmatic little kid, and yes, seeing bullies put in their place is very gratifying for me.

I'm smiling right now!

not a drop of water. the last 2 days the bars that usually are crowded were anything but hopping.

Thai might as well close down the nightlife over songkran!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is my conclusion. One bar usually full at 8pm had 400 lbs of women on stage. Too bad it was only 2 instead of maybe 5 girls-each girl weighing in at more than 200 lbs apiece.......................lol.

Blasting a stranger in the face with a water bazooka is over-the-line in any circumstance...certainly not part of the Songkran tradition.

Having the weapon confiscated is a mild response.

If the hooligan then chooses violent escalation, it is at his own risk.

I was an asthmatic little kid, and yes, seeing bullies put in their place is very gratifying for me.

I'm smiling right now!

And your friend has the, "authority" to confiscate someones property?.... REALLY?.... and YES,,, you're, "friend" IS a bully,,, looking for a fight,, Again,, rather than simply avoiding a confrontation,, He's escalating it to be more than needs to be,,, SURE,,, it's a PITA to get blasted by some drunk idiot,, but "snatching" their property,, ,destroying it,, then, hoping they'll retaliate,, IS ASKING for trouble,,, I know MANY friends into martial arts,, and NONE,,, NONE go, "looking" for a fight,, or in ANY WAY, attempt to escalate a situation into something where they have to, "prove" themselves,,I know several MMA type fighters,, that'll ALL tell you,,, "NO matter HOW, "good" you are, or THINK you are,, there's ALWAYS someone better,, and LOOOOVES it,,, PRAY you never have a run in with them, outside a, "controlled" situation,,,, Your friend is an arrogant, IDIOT,, who thinks his "skills",, will always save him,,, pissed off drunk idiots,, do NOT fight, "fair",,, your friend's gonna piss off the WRONG guy,, and get a beer bottle, or pool cue to the back of his head while he's not paying attention,, and bragging about how, "skilled" he is,,,, And you playing along with his attitude, may very well see you on the floor right next to him, Like I said,,, I just hope I'm around to see it when that inevitable day comes,,,,, Martial arts is a great sport,, really is,,, but MANY get into it,, SIMPLY because the little blue pill,, is just not enough for some... lolololol

Edited by Adeeos