Songkran 2014: Thais forget their woes

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could we make it a 1 day (not 1 week) celebration, ban ice water, ban throwing of water at anyone riding motorcycles, designate "happy" zones where you CAN throw water, but only in these areas not the main streets and also ban throwing of water at people who are wildly gesticulating "NO" and saying "NO" in Thai also please. I'm getting more than a tad sick of getting soaked and powdered every time I walk out of the house. Thanks.

You really are an optimist making such suggestions.....the local village store where I am, had a water tanker, pump and fire hose.... it bowled people over, and they all laughed....happy songkran!

and a drought on the horizon..this stupid festival defies common sense....i say lets have a eco freinldy festival''save water, throw beer''....

Could we make it a 1 day (not 1 week) celebration, ban ice water, ban throwing of water at anyone riding motorcycles, designate "happy" zones where you CAN throw water, but only in these areas not the main streets and also ban throwing of water at people who are wildly gesticulating "NO" and saying "NO" in Thai also please. I'm getting more than a tad sick of getting soaked and powdered every time I walk out of the house. Thanks.

Or how about you just stay inside the house mr grumpy gus.

• Like 2

Hey folks stop becoming whingers about Songkran. It is Thainess ok? The Thai folk don't do Easter and prefer not to stuff a turkey for thanksgiving.

If you don't like the water fun go to another country for the week and then return. Thailand is not a nanny state, that's why you choose to stay here right? Well, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. Sawasdee pei mai Thai krab and happy Songkran.

There is also another way of looking at it...how many Westerners die of heart attacks every year, when they stuff their faces, like pigs, at Christmas Dinner? Probably at least as many or more, I would think.

Why is everyone so worried about dying? That is the one thing sure in life. We will all die sooner or later. Might as well have fun along the way. I believe some people have more fun in one week, that others have in their whole life. (Unless they call being miserable fun)

Thai People love Songkran. I am not Thai and I love Songkran. I am a little bit more aware, while riding my motorbike, this time of year, but that is just being smart.

Personally, I don't think it is the Governments job, to "protect" us from ourselves. wai2.gif

Would you still love Songcran if some moron threw water over you on your motorbike, and you are in hospital crippled. Oh! I forgot, you are a little bit more aware, so were some people who are now in hospital and mortuaries. Happy Songcran to you.

Hey, if we are picking sides I gotta go with "Love Songkran but hate it so deal with it side"......I expect to get doused with water if on my motorbike so I drive at an appropriate speed or avoid "hot zones" altogether......those people in hospitals and mortuaries that you quoted obviously were not a little bit more aware.......it would take a criminal act to end up like that....and as far as all the motorcycle deaths and accidents this time of year......well, stupidity reigns here, but that's a little obvious isn't it? I saw a moron yesterday on his motorbike doing at least 80 in a 50 swerving around traffic, no helmet talking on his mobile! You can't teach precision driving skills like that, it's innate.......555

You are making a lot of sense here, but even people who "are aware" are still ending up in hospitals and morgues. Up to now there are more than 100 motorcyclists dead, it could and probably will be the case that most of them are drunk, but I refuse to believe that amongst those 100 or so deaths, there are some who were riding their bikes responsibly, and who are not drunk.

All the people who don't like Songkran, do they prefer to get their ties cut off at Weiberfastnacht for example? Other countries, other customs. You always have the option to stock up before Songkran and stay within the walls of your home for a few days.

But how convenient is that to some people? Why should anyone be forced to stay at home for a few days? Some people still have jobs to go to.

• Like 1

kurtgruen, on 14 Apr 2014 - 09:01, said:

Well, Thai people, young and old, seem to enjoy it. They sure did here, yesterday and the day before. There is also the option of moving back to one's home Country, if one doesn't like it and hates it that much.

Personally, I enjoy it, up to a point and then I just go inside and do work on my computer, in my nice, air conditioned place. I love to see Thai people and some of the foreigners have fun at Songkran time.

We always donate water to keep everybody loaded with "ammo"

I personally don't enjoy the ice water, but a lot of Thai people seem to get a kick out of it and the screams are fun to listen too.

I would not want to be anywhere else in the world, this time of year.

I think, this event, at this scale at least, is unique to Thailand and I think that is great. wai2.gif

I think that you are a freaking idiots like most of those Thai.

• Like 1

Or how about you just stay inside the house mr grumpy gus.

Or how about we designate YOUR home as the central point for throwing water and powder. You can then enjoy getting soaked, while many of the rest of us (Thai and foreigner alike) can enjoy all the other traditional aspects of Songkran without walking everywhere soaking wet covered in disgusting untreated Klong water. Sound like a plan?

I agree with what a few people have said, about limiting the water throwing areas, and really one day , at a push two is plenty.

The idiots that throw water in the faces of oncoming motorbikes should be prosecuted for starters, absolute foolishness and that includes Thai and foreigners. I've had three people off work today, with injuries sustained by what I have just mentioned. I will be glad when it is all over , as it's a total pain to go anywhere to eat, or shop without pillocks lobbing water over you.

• Like 2

Hey folks stop becoming whingers about Songkran. It is Thainess ok? The Thai folk don't do Easter and prefer not to stuff a turkey for thanksgiving.

If you don't like the water fun go to another country for the week and then return. Thailand is not a nanny state, that's why you choose to stay here right? Well, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. Sawasdee pei mai Thai krab and happy Songkran.

Sawasdee Bee Mai, Khrap.-wai2.gif

post-108180-0-50218600-1397454408_thumb.

post-108180-0-95022400-1397454551_thumb.

post-108180-0-46602300-1397454564_thumb.

post-108180-0-16040700-1397454579_thumb.

post-108180-0-78003100-1397454594_thumb.

post-108180-0-12761100-1397454735_thumb.

post-108180-0-30731500-1397454757_thumb.

I agree with what a few people have said, about limiting the water throwing areas, and really one day , at a push two is plenty.

The idiots that throw water in the faces of oncoming motorbikes should be prosecuted for starters, absolute foolishness and that includes Thai and foreigners. I've had three people off work today, with injuries sustained by what I have just mentioned. I will be glad when it is all over , as it's a total pain to go anywhere to eat, or shop without pillocks lobbing water over you.

Good to see I'm not alone. I like Songkran, and I enjoy the water, but not 24/7 for 5-7 days everywhere you go. As I said earlier, you literally can't walk or ride anywhere in Bangkok without getting the water. It gets a bit much sometimes when all you want to do is get from point A to point B without getting soaked. It gets more than a bit much when I've got things to do, am dressed relatively smartly, I ask them in Thai not to soak me or powder me and they go and do it anyway. It's not a language issue.

I love Djhotsox Option2: Just to let you know possum 1931, you must be quiet old and geriatric if 1931 is your birth year? Do not go outside or your Zimmer frame may get wet going to the bar. Two young boys drowned yesterday in Phang Nga, north of Phuket, not Songkran related. Another 3 year young boy drowned or was killed on Phuket. Death happens so that new life can spring forth. You don't know when you'll be next, or me for that matter. So lighten up, get your kit on for a dunking and enjoy Songkran.

BTW, everybody dies innocent, it's called the circle of life. You said, " Have you no thought for the innocent people riding motorbikes, and being killed because some scum are throwing buckets of water at them?" Yes I have, they chose to ride their bikes at Songkran and maybe even without a helmet. There is no cure for stupid. Enjoy Songkran or cry me a beer.

• Like 1

".....a break in politicians' activities during the five-day holiday, which began on Saturday"

Positioning this thing as some sort of benign debate between Politicians has the underlying motive of trying to normalize into acceptable form, the eradication of Electoral and Parliamentary Democracy.

Even to the point of amusedly aggrandizing the guy seeking to establish a "Civilian Dictatorship"

I thought I would read one of his posts on a very happy rthread and the had to turn it into a political thing.

Even Suthep took part in the festivities.

People's Democratic Reform Committee chief leader Suthep Thaugsuban slowly rode a motorcycle through Lumpini Park taking water hits and receiving greetings from supporters.

I like the way that they conducted the festival at their rally site. They supplied the water so you knew it was safe and the vessels to use .

Here in Chiang Mai there will be people with skin and eye irritation due to the water. Some very serious. I do how ever support the festival. I just wish some would be a little less ambitious in how they carry on. So far have tried to avoid it only got hit once with a squirt gun. No big deal. Not going to go near the moat unless it is inside a vehicle and I can just watch.

and lets ban xmas and birthdays while we are at it.

• Like 2

only 1 day where i live ;-)

could we ban all thai ;-)

What a bunch of curmudgeons....

Option 1: Go home.

Option 2: Suck it up and enjoy the holidays of the people whose country in which you live.

Option 3: Get stuffed.

I can just imagine the response if in your country a Thai person living there thought it a good idea to cancel NYE celebrations? 555

So many just don't like firm little breasts under a wet "T" shirt, why is that? I guess they just don't like women.

• Like 2

I don't ever remember anyone throwing a frozen turkey at me at Christmas.

This is the last time for me as I stay in Thailand for sonkram madness. Most of my friends have already left Thailand on Saturday and traveled to other countries in Asia. I was stupid not to go with them as I did last year. Starting very tired of all the problems here with constant political problems and a complete invasion of the Russians. Does anyone have a good suggestion on where to move. Thinking of Vietnam or the Philippines might.

• Like 1

I don't ever remember anyone throwing a frozen turkey at me at Christmas.

Christmas is by far the most annoying festival ever created by the corporate world. Bloody jingle bells and other irritating music being forced on you in shopping centres for months on end even when you don't want to hear the garbage. I hate that time of the year with a passion at least Songkran is fun and only for a few days not months leading up to it.

Yes, that annoying jingly jangly happy music is right up there on a par with being soaked in ice cold water. Thanks for reminding me.

Being here long term I am critical about a lot of things Thai, but bitching about Songkran ??? Get a life guys, don't like it, scared to get wet on your beer trip to 7/11.....stock up and stay in.

I for one had a great time, like the ice water as well, cools me down nicely ! smile.pngwai.gif

Happy Songkran to the non haters !

In CM a lot of the water thrown is from the Moat.

Plenty of rats and parasites in the moat water.

Huge danger of parasites, strange disease and infection.

No doubt about that, yet no need for some to bitch on the Thais their festival ! It is their festival after all, and no that doesn't mean to pack up and go home just to emphasize that is and always will be THEIR festival wai2.gif. The ice water down south here definitely came from melted icewink.png and not from a dirty moat, mixed with some talcum powder, love it, as said had a great time as I do every year for the last 18 !

Edited by likewise

Some of the anti Songkran comments here are exaggerated.

I have never seen a report of a motorcyclist dying due to having water thrown at him. If it has happened it is certainly not a frequent occurrence.

According to this "Nation" article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html an average of 71 citizens die on Thai roads each day (year round).

According to this "Nation" article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/39-killed-on-roads-on-day-one-of-Songkran-holidays-30231431.html a total of 39 citizens died on Thai roads on the first day of Songkran 2014.

And, according to this statistic for 2013 http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/04/road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-in-thailand-2007-2013/ a total of 321 citizens died on Thai roads during the 7 days of Songkran = an average of 46 per day .

Conclusion: Compared with the average day, fewer people die on Thai roads during the 7 days of Songkran.

BTW, I am not arguing in favour of a 365-day Songkran festival.

Reason for edit: clarity

Edited by chickenslegs
  • Like 1

only 1 day where i live ;-)

could we ban all thai ;-)

can we all come and stay at your place for a week next year? 1 day of water sounds great!

........you will make a fortune on room rentals, how many have you got?

Most of my Thai friends are in their mid 20s to early 30s just like me. They also complain about Songkran no longer being as fun as it used to be since everyone around is in their teens and not yet out of high school. Every one of my friends who went out with me yesterday stated that while it was fun one day was enough for everyone. I tried to get my friends along for at least an hour or two today but everyone was worried about getting sick perhaps catching a cold due to the cold water.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

This is the last time for me as I stay in Thailand for sonkram madness. Most of my friends have already left Thailand on Saturday and traveled to other countries in Asia. I was stupid not to go with them as I did last year. Starting very tired of all the problems here with constant political problems and a complete invasion of the Russians. Does anyone have a good suggestion on where to move. Thinking of Vietnam or the Philippines might.

Vietnam is a very nice country and they don't celebrate Songkran there. However, I can't help you with avoiding Russians as Vietnam hosts even more Russian tourists than anywhere in Thailand. Nothing wrong with them though as they usually keep to themselves and are always disappointed when they realize I don't speak Russian.